Notices

My first post

Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

I am not really sure what to say, but I figured I would give this a shot considering I am too hesitant to attend AA at this time. Basically I really need to find a positive support system or people who can relate to the trouble of alcoholic addiction. I know I would find precisely that if I would just go to AA, but something is stopping me.

I was about six days sober, but then ended up drinking Monday and last night. A pity, but things happen. I am in my young twenties and I have created quite a problem with this liquid poision. I work a mindless job and I frequently drink while on the clock. I don't want to. I am somewhat content with where life is at for the moment, but some kind of strong compulsion drives me to go to the liquor store, purchase my poision of choice, and become intoxicated. Maybe I do it in order to feel the unfortunate comfort I find in depression or maybe I'm just bored. Either way, it's a dreadful cycle I want to put to a halt.

For the past year and a half I've gotten drunk a many of times and have slept with over a dozen different strangers that I've met on the internet. Cheating on my girlfriend at the time, driving her away, choosing alcohol over any other activity. It was the center of my life and I drank, and drank, and drank until it lost all its appeal. I've been lucky enough not to have gotten a DUI, but still have crashed/fell asleep while driving drunk once and rear ended someone another time. I've been reckless and I want out.

My point is that I recognize I have a problem but I feel unable to stop by myself. I know that I can, but I need that drive. I lost my funk and I have been searching and searching.

Anyways, this was my first post and I know it was a lot but there you have it.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here! I am sure a lot of us can relate to what your going through. Its a scary addiction, unpredictable but manageable. Keep reading, keep posting
Old 03-30-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome I'm sure you will find this site a wonderful support.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Charx.

We've all been where you're at, but you have a present luxury many of us didn't -- you're realizing you have a problem and attempting to do something about it at a younger age than most.

Keep an open mind to suggestions and post and read here; it helped many before you.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Xoxo
Old 03-30-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you will find lots of support on here!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and good ideas here. In order to stay sober you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. Not easy, but simple.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome charx
Old 03-30-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You will need to find the desire to stop drinking and to change your life. I think you will find lots of inspiration here.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Charx

whether you go to AA or not, I think it's important to accept the responsibility for our recovery - things actually don't 'happen', we make choices.

I'm not trying to put you down at all - I think it's vital we recognise we're not victims in all of this - we can change our life...we hold the key

D
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Charx