Notices

Guilt is tough

Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt is tough

It's a vicious circle . Not drinking makes one deal with real life, real emotions and fears. Feeling really guilty about my life, kids seeing me drunk for instance. I'll channel it to something positive. Just hard to not drink to cope with it. Drinking out of guilt which brings more guilt on. Think I've had a guilt complex my whole life.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, dealing with real emotions, fears and life is difficult. And you are exactly right that drinking makes it even harder. Staying focused on the present and the concept of mindfulness has been somewhat of a help to me in this area, not sure if you've ever explored it or not.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's some really good self forgiveness exercises you can find online. I've also had to start dealing with those difficult emotions and feelings I had been trying to supress with alcohol. I have also found therapy has helped a great deal. Good luck on your journey x
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yes, dealing with real emotions, fears and life is difficult. And you are exactly right that drinking makes it even harder. Staying focused on the present and the concept of mindfulness has been somewhat of a help to me in this area, not sure if you've ever explored it or not.
I am aware of the practice . I'm trying to accept things and unburden myself from more guilt by seeing the good I've done (I've raised my kids myself) and what I'm trying to do. And to relax.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

In time you will learn to forgive yourself
Old 03-29-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
In time you will learn to forgive yourself
I think so. My mum said I should learn to love myself
Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In some cases I can see where a certain amount of guilt can bring about needed change. But in other cases it can get to the point of being pointless; meaning: it's not doing much good and just makes a person unhappy and unable to move on.

Our tendency to pack guilt around is often rooted in childhood; messages we got from our parents and other influences; either direct messages or subtle messages.

One of hardest things for recovering addicts is learning to forgive themselves and unburden themselves from needless guilt.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wise words treeteaoil (love the name btw). I guess I'm in early stages of recovery , emotions all over the place. It's good to tackle things head on as opposed to rushing to empty a bottle. I guess we learn much about ourselves as we recover. I've forgotten who I am. All I know is I'm sorry and I'm trying hard , painful as it may be. I want to be the best dad and person I can as long as I'm around on this planet.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Guilt is a really tough obstacle for me. I was a bad person when i drank.
Time, meditation, researching addiction, and the 12 steps have all helped me greatly.

I still have trouble forgiving myself for some things. But as you stated, drinking over it would only compound the issue.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Guilt is a really tough obstacle for me. I was a bad person when i drank. Time, meditation, researching addiction, and the 12 steps have all helped me greatly. I still have trouble forgiving myself for some things. But as you stated, drinking over it would only compound the issue.
I'm glad you've found some peace. I'm glad it's possible. I too shudder at some of the stuff I've said and done. It changed my personality in ways is never imagined
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by azure808 View Post
It's a vicious circle . Not drinking makes one deal with real life, real emotions and fears. Feeling really guilty about my life, kids seeing me drunk for instance. I'll channel it to something positive. Just hard to not drink to cope with it. Drinking out of guilt which brings more guilt on. Think I've had a guilt complex my whole life.
Once you accept that drinking only makes the guilt the shame and the problem worse , it's a pretty simple choice tho.

Simple - not necessarily easy - but you have support here and access to a wide range of ideas and tools

Have faith that not drinking will lead you out of that guilt merry-go-round

D
Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will Dee thanks