Notices

Finally wanting to make a change

Old 03-29-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally wanting to make a change

This is my first time going outside of myself in search of help for my addiction. Although it's something that I've been confronted about by loved ones and myself before I've never really gone out my way to seek help. I've always thought I would be able to get threw this alone but in reality I was just fooling myself. I'm really at a low point in my life especially mentally, some days I can't even look myself in the mirror and I just wanna be free of this addiction and this horrible state of mind I've put myself in. So here I am, day one and I'm praying to my god that this time around I will be strong enough to do this for real, for myself and for the people that I love. I picked up my first drink when I was about 15 years old and haven't put it down since. My life has been nothing but me fixing my drunken mistakes and recovering from hangovers, I find myself drinking at least 3 times a week most times more then that. It's just so hard because no one around my really knows how diffcult it is to just stop, and even though I'll get the full support, they will really understand how it alone it feels to be here. I don't want to feel like this anymore, I don't want to feel like dying everyday because this addiction has a hold of my entire life. I just want to change and I hope that I can this time around. I keep telling myself that I will never pick up a drink again but when push comes to shove I never resist. So I'm hoping this can be a safe haven for me and I can come here and fight this, thank you for taking the time out to read this.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I was right at that point when I finally stopped drinking. Suddenly, the stopping part seemed easier than continuing to drink. And I was right. How did I do it? Well I checked in here every day and talked with other people who could understand.

Most importantly, I wanted to stop more than I wanted to drink. I knew with every cell in my body that I did not want to drink anymore. Accepting that I would never have a healthy relationship with alcohol was a new beginning for me. No question marks, no maybes, no wondering.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome BLM. Glad you found us. I remember feeling the same way. At my lowest point I was going to bed praying that I would not wake up again. Thank God those days are gone. It is likely to be difficult at first, but ultimately quite simple at least. Just don't take a drink, one day at a time. There are lots of great threads on here about making a plan, and they're worth reading and following the advice in. We do need to plan, otherwise we're more likely to slip into past habits. For me AA has been part of my plan. Others have used it gradually things. Ask away on here and people will always respond with wisdom and insight.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.

BB
Old 03-29-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Blm
Old 03-29-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BLM

I believe God can move mountains - but miracles ereally happen when we pick up a shovel too

There are some really good ideas here to aid you in making a plan to stay sober:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who has replied, only a couple hours in but I'm taking it slow, I'll be sure to put those links to use I've never really made a plan before but I will try whatever it takes. Again thank you very much.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by blm20 View Post
I keep telling myself that I will never pick up a drink again but when push comes to shove I never resist.
When push comes to shove, you push back.

I know this isn't easy. The addiction is strong. The will falters. But when one commits to getting sober, one also commits to standing strong through the discomfort of withdrawals, standing strong through the obsessive thoughts that tell us to drink. One commits to finding ways to deal with life sober, dealing with the stress, the anxiety, the guilt, WITHOUT ALCOHOL.

It's hard, but it gets easier. The key is staying sober.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right with you

I am exactly at the point that I don't want to drink more than I do. Day 1 and determined to have a Day 2 and so on. I need a better game plan so going to a beginners AA and getting a sponsor. Me and my family deserve much better. Hang in there!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Welcome.

I was right at that point when I finally stopped drinking. Suddenly, the stopping part seemed easier than continuing to drink. And I was right. How did I do it? Well I checked in here every day and talked with other people who could understand.

Most importantly, I wanted to stop more than I wanted to drink. I knew with every cell in my body that I did not want to drink anymore. Accepting that I would never have a healthy relationship with alcohol was a new beginning for me. No question marks, no maybes, no wondering.
MelindaFlowers nails it, at least for me. Getting and staying sober will be a relief in your life, not an endless cycle of fixing your f**k ups.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
MelindaFlowers nails it, at least for me. Getting and staying sober will be a relief in your life, not an endless cycle of fixing your f**k ups.

Nailed it for me as well, I keep telling myself maybe one day down the line it could be done in moderation but I need to face facts that I can't be that person and stop letting that hold me back.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, I agree with Melinda as well. I finally got to the point that I was just worn out from the years of drinking. Quitting is not easy in the beginning but the longer you are sober the more you realize just how much time, energy, and work goes into drinking! Not drinking makes life so much more peaceful - and easier!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi blm - it's so good to have you with us.

I agree that the 'normies' in our lives can't possibly understand what we go through. Being here helped me find the courage to change my life. You are no longer alone - and you can do this.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Welcome Blm! This is where I started when I put the bottle down November 15. Come here often, lots of good people and wisdom being shared here. I have been doing well on my own and SR. But in the past week I have embraced AA, and it has been wonderful. Do whatever it takes to NOT drink again. Rough at first, but it DOES get better sooner than you might think. Give it all you got!
Introspectator

Introspectator
Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on here!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My first day. But not the first try. Fed up with the lies. I used to drink alone, champagne in the morning, both on Saturday and Sunday. Then, I had to do it on Monday. And so on.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I felt how you're feeling 1 year ago. Now at almost 10 months sober I feel 100% opposite! There IS hope but the first step is putting alcohol out of your life permanently