Notices

Drinking three times a week

Old 03-26-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking three times a week

I had seven days and then drank again. I think I'm really having a hard time with being powerless over alcohol. I keep stopping because it makes me fat. I usually stay in and drink with my husband. A few beers in front of the tv and conversation and then bed. I keep stopping more because of the weight gain. My younger brother died of cirrhosis four years ago and that did t even sober me up. Now my adult son is about to go to jail over drugs and the stress is getting to me. I looked back in my calendar and it seems I drink two or three times a week. I really don't understand why I can't take the first step. I'm afraid I like drinking. But I'm always here or other sober places on my sober days trying to stay stopped. I don't even know what I'm asking for. Is this crazy or what?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the support you need, both here and in real life, to get sober for good.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was drinking 3-4 times a week too, it was also making me fat.
I couldn't understand why I couldn't stop.
Try getting as much sober time as you can, the less I had it, the less I wanted it.
Try to put some distance between you and alcohol xo
Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just read a great thread on how people stayed sober at first. Lots of great ideas. I'm feeling more hopeful.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jan1755 View Post
I just read a great thread on how people stayed sober at first. Lots of great ideas. I'm feeling more hopeful.
You can do it! Xoxoxo
Old 03-26-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Not being able to stop and stay stopped is the first step in the 12 step program.

Are you willing to try to stay stopped now?
Old 03-26-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lost 2 sizes when I stopped drinking. That alone is enough for me to give it up! Seriously, there are a lot of helpful ideas on this board and everyone is so supportive. If you really want to stop, you can. And hey, if you don't like it, you can always go back to drinking. But why not give it a try?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to be in two minds at the beginning Jan - I was - but SR helped me decide who I wanted to be and what I needed to do to get there
I know we can help you too. I'm glad you've joined us

D
Old 03-26-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am reading lots of good helpful stuff here and I'm feeling more hopeful all the time
Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, there! Quick question... Do you have an actual addiction to alcohol? Or is it more like you:

1) Want to give it up due to negative things you've seen happen from substance use, and
2) Are having a hard time because you really enjoy a couple beers a few times a week?

If you have an addiction, don't despair about the difficult in pulling the plug 'cuz that's exactly the nature of addiction! Getting those first few abstinent weeks in is a major challenge for almost everyone.

But if you're not addicted, and you're trying to change a simple behavioral/dietary habit by treating it like an addiction (admitting powerlessness), maybe that's why your efforts aren't working? Do you maybe just need to lean into the "behavioral habit" with a little more willpower?

What would happen if you committed to going on a reduced-carb diet for a month -- eliminating refined sugars and carbs, alcohol, etc? It wouldn't be a lot of fun, but you'd be beer-free for a little while to "try it on for size." Would you be jonesing for another form of alcohol?

This probably wasn't that helpful, but these were just the questions that came to my mind when I read your post.