Notices

Desperate this time

Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Desperate this time

Back again, my SR friends.

In the past 2-3 months my ex and I sold our family house and I've moved into my own apt. We've been getting along ok, and figuring out our routine for co-parenting our son. A few weeks ago I had emergency surgery for an abscess, that left me physically weakened but with a bottle of T3s. On top of that, I've almost completed my police auxiliary training.

Throughout all of this, I've relapsed BADLY. I can't seem to go longer than two weeks without going back to the bottle. And then I abused my pain pills until they were gone. And my behaviour during my binges has gotten riskier - I've gone to work and training impaired, etc.

So far I've 'gotten away with things', but my relationships are suffering, my health is suffering, and my self-worth is almost gone. I feel like I've been hanging on by the thinnest of threads.

I think inpatient rehab is the only thing left for me to try. I don't care how much I have to pay, I'll do it. It's just a matter of telling my loved ones, tying up loose ends, and gritting through the next 2 weeks to be able to graduate from recruit training.

I was sober today, which was a struggle. I feel like I'm going to be glued to this website for the next while. Glad to be here and to have you guys to talk to.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be here shortstop

I think if you can swing it, rehab is probably a good idea?

D
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi welcome xoxo
You can do it, we've all been there! We can, you can!

I'm Canadian too!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Shortstop,

Welcome back! You should read Mera's post about rehab. It reads like a journal, and is very inspiring.

Hope to see you on here often!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello.
It took a deep, dark desperation to make me give in and give up. I thought things couldn't get worse, but they did. I hope you never have to revisit the depths I sank to. It was bad.
You've got things going for you that seem very positive. Something to live sober for.
I didn't have that luxury- it was me alone with a bottle.

Grab a hold of sobriety. With all you've got going on, make it a big part of your life. Even the biggest if necessary.
I'm glad to say I clawed my way out of addiction and everything changed for the better. It takes work. It is work, but so worth it and so are you.

I wish you the best.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get the help you need to get sober for good.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Shortstop I seriously know having a plan is like wearing armour when it comes to protecting your sobriety

In this together never alone
Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

Day 2. Had an awful night sleep last night. I had full on sweats and nightmares. But hey, at least I'm not hungover this morning.

I've gone through acute withdrawal so many times that I'm familiar with all the symptoms. I think the worst for me is the sensitivity to sound. It seems to take the longest to gradually get better.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi shortstop, if you think treatment is the best option, I encourage you to do it. Taking action to improve yourself is never a bad idea. Maybe nip in the bud.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you recognize the harm you are doing to yourself and hope you can get into rehab soon! Hugs to you.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome back, shortstop!

Rehab sounds like a great idea; it was like a jump-start into sobriety for me, but I had to be desperate before I'd do something to help me stop.

Remember that you never have to go through this again if you don't want to.