Notices

PLEASE answer.

Old 09-19-2004, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PLEASE answer.

Hi all.

I would like to chat about the symptoms of alcoholism. I'm not positive if I am or not.
I would appreciate hearing about how one knows.

Thanks for your time.

Much appreciation,
Toots.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kit

Hi Toots,
1. Do you think about when you can have your next drink?
2. Do you crave a drink?
3. Is it hard to stop drinking once you've started?
4. Do you have blackouts?
5. Do you fall down from drinking?
6. Do you drink alone?
These were some of my alcoholic behaviors. Maybe you can share with us, what you are doing that makes you wonder about alcoholism. If you think you're an alocholic, then you probably are. There are wonderful experts on this site. I'm sure they can tell you lots more. Stay in touch, Toots. Love, Kit
Old 09-19-2004, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
just j

Hi Toots...

I am sure no expert, but at AA they gave out this sheet of paper that showed the progression from early phase, to middle phase then late phase. Some of the signs of early alcoholism were blackout, sneaking drinks, preoccupied drinking, gulping drinks, and then leading into more obvious signs in middle phase like family changes, seeking help, resentment and maintaining a supply of alcohol.

I myself also noticed an increased tolerance, drinking on a daily basis, even if it always was not enough to "get drunk" and feeling like I wanted a drink just to get through an evening.

Even though I have had long stretches of soberness, this is the first time I have admitted to having a problem, or an addiction.

When I went to my first AA meeting, I knew I had made the right choice to try to stay sober one day at a time. Only you can decide. I hope this helps.

Jalyn :shysmile:
Old 09-19-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Toots and welcome,
Everyone has to decide for themselves, if they have a problem. It's good your realizing perhaps this warrants your attention. Know there is help out there!
If you go to google.com you can do a search on "Alcoholism" "Signs of Alcoholism" and get a lot of information, here is one of the links.
http://www.nh-dwi.com/caip-222.htm
Old 09-19-2004, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi toots, welcome to SR,
The 'what is alcoholism ' debate goes on here and on, and on and on. It's hard to pin down, so it's understandable we have the tendancy to question wether we 'have it' or not.
Focussing on the facts helped me decide. What is the real damage to your health, pocket and social wellbeing being done by the drink?

Hope this helps - and take care of yourself whatever you decide.

Deg.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi there,
Welcome to SR. If you've had one too many hangovers is another good way of telling if alcohol is a problem in your life. Glad you're here and hope you find more answers.
Sandy
Old 09-19-2004, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sam082602

Lightbulb Hello, my name is Samantha, alcoholic/addict, my sobriety birthday is Aug. 26th, 2002

Hmmm....whenever I am asked a question such as yours I always try to turn to my AA Big Book; and so that is what I have done in your case with your question to us. This is what I found!! Hugs & luv, Samantha

Chapter 3~~MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM~~PAGES 30-31

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death. We learned that we had fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. We alcoholics are men & women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals~~usually brief~~were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better. We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse. Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Scienc may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet. Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people! Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums~~we could increase the list ad infinitum.

I hope this helps!!

Old 09-19-2004, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh my God!

Thanks soooo much everyone. All that input IS really helpful in my quest.
This is really scary. The thought of NEVER drinking again is scary and depressing. I'm doing it. It's been 4 days since my last drink. And it was a binge. Another one. They've become more frequent. I've realized that I've been drinking for a long, long time.
I've never really gone more than 2 days without a little something. I'm coming to realize that by NEEDING to drink, even just 2 drinks per night isn't right. And I'm over-drinking more often.
I'm so scared not to have the feeling of bliss and freedom from social anxiety. I've been wrestling with myself for two days NOT to have a drink. I was hungover for 2 days and the last two I've wanted a drink again. BADLY!
You all sound like an amazing group of people and I'd love to get to know some of you better. I think I'll be needing you.....soon. I don't know how much longer I can hold out before I justify "just 2 beers."
I have a problem.
It all started as a way to cope in social settings. I've never really been without it if I want it. I'm really scared that my nervousness is going to sky-rocket. It already has and I continue to take Paxil for anxiety and recently Lectopam, to calm the physical shakes.
If someone could explain to me how one can actively chat, that would be awesome. I think I'm gonna need some hands-on eventually.
Thanks everyone and God bless.

Toots.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Toots - Hello!

A couple of other thoughts: Does alcoholism run in your family? And can you abstain from alcohol for 3-4 weeks (or longer) easily?

Personally, I drank to get drunk and I must have tried to either limit or quit drinking about 300 times!!! Fortunately, that 300th time was the charm!!

There is also the availability of a chemical dependency evaluation that can be administered by a professional counselor. It might not be a bad idea to think about looking into such an assessment, and your insurance may pick up part of the cost - about $125.

Good luck, Toots

Dave