Notices

Moving on.....

Old 03-24-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Moving on.....

I know its nothing to write home about, but I just finished day 3, and moving into day 4. For 2 years, I drank everyday after work. It would be liquer, and over time I could easily have half a bottle to myself. 70 proof rum was my thing. I became tired of being sick and tired. I'm a smart woman, and this wasn't like me. I think in a way a lot of things added to my wanting to drink. I know how strong, how motivated, and creative I can be by not drinking, and I wanted to be that again.

Let me tell you....day one sober sucked! I slept a lot, drank tons of water, and would have the shakes bad. I have been a runner for 13 years, and I ran a little to ease my mind, then went back to bed. As days go on I feel my body getting better, and the fog is clearing in my brain. It's one day at a time for me. I'm not going back to that bottle.

I won't miss the blackouts, I won't miss waking up drunk because I drank so much the night before, I won't miss the vomiting, I won't miss the occasions where I drank alone and reminiscing turned into crying and depression, I won't miss losing my ability to have dreams (I used to have amazing vivid, lucid dreams), I won't miss the control it had over me.....leaving these things behind.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great work luvtorun....I've just started day 5 after being a binger drinker for about 16 years - rum was my weapon of choice too. I can relate to your withdrawal experiences, but every day is easier!

After I admitted to myself, once and for all, that the foundations of my tower of s*** (smoking, drugs, promiscuity etc.) were constructed of alcoholism, everythig started to fall into place.

I've often wondered why I felt a residual shaking in my body when I lay down at night and why I sweated so badly after a binge then got the flu.....Doh. How blind.

Best thing about it is, because the tower of s*** was founded on alcohol, I took one block away and the tower crumbled.

I too run and have found exercise to be a major positive infulence in my life. I signed up last night for a triathlon and, though I've always been quite competitive in my last races, I know that boozing has held me back significantly....So I'm excited!!

Way to go you - keep up the good work.

(I just read through my post and changed everything from present to past tense). ;0)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard luvtorun - great to have you join us

D
Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The early days of recovery can be brutal but it will pass and you'll start feeling better soon.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found your way here luvtorun.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Luv2run
Old 03-24-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome luvtorun28. You said day 3 is no big deal, but it is. You cant get to day 90, or 900 without day 3. Keep up the running, that has been my savior as well. I went from barely being able to finish a 10K in 1: 20 minutes to finishing at :50 minutes this summer and looking forward to a half later this year. I brings immense relief from stress, physical ails, and no hnagover! Keep up what you are doing!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on day 3, that's a major accomplishment. Take it one day at a time.

I also found fitness to be a great motivator and stress reliever.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by luvtorun28 View Post
...leaving these things behind.
Congrats on three days. Keep us informed of your progress. Or your struggles...so we can help.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Three days is huge! Wear it proudly.

Welcome to SR, luvtorun28, and I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread found on this same forum. I've found that being around others who are also new to sobriety is a huge help for me.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you lovtorun
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I wouldn't down play the importance of 3 days sober...how else will you get to the 4th!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Luvtorun, I think you have a good attitude!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone, and such a warm welcome. Made me smile. I got the shakes this morning and went for a run, it was great. One day at a time. I look forward to hitting 1 month, but being patient. I thinks on the surface 2 years ago, it started at bordom, but it was deeper than that. In 07 I lost someone I loved dearly to the Iraq war, in a way I think I was trying to destroy myself subconsciously, but I know now he wouldn't want that of me. I can't make a difference in the world like I want to if I am drunk or hungover. I miss him everyday, still. And then I have fought depression since I was 15, I let myself allow the depression in, which is what I have tried so hard to stop. No more though, I will overcome. And I am so happy that you are all succeeding in your journeys, as well. So many runners! this year marks 13 years as a runner for me, and I notice I run so much better when I'm not hungover or dehydrated thank you all, again!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Very sorry for your loss. You've made a good decision in sobriety. A month will get here quicker than you think!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, day 3 is excellent- early sobriety is so hard, I'm only on 18 days and it does get a little better. Keep going, keep strong and yes one day at a time is how I do it also.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Luvtorun - be proud of yourself for reclaiming your life & getting free. 3 days is fabulous. We know how hard it is to get there. Things will calm down and get so much better. You're doing this!

I'm sorry for the pain you've gone through since '07.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 3 !! Way to go! I know it gets better, Ive done this before but the first few days / week or so can be rough.

Im only day 2 and in a real sucky mood. I just went to the gym. Its also spring break so I am going completely mad with 3 school aged children around 24/7 bouncing off the walls. Im hoping day 3 is better. Cant wait for bedtime and school to be back in!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hear that! It's like, you want to sleep a lot because you want to get through the urges, and your body is trying to repair itself. I try to keep busy with reading, cleaning, running, and soon getting back to my love of painting. It sucks we have all had to go through this, but we are not alone in our battle, and recovery.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Had the shakes pretty bad earlier, but it's subsided a bit.