Notices

3 weeks in and have some withdrawal questions

Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks in and have some withdrawal questions

Hi All,

I am new to this so will try to keep it succinct and to the point.

I am not sure if I am an alcoholic but am definitely an abuser of alcohol. I usually drink 6 - 8 beers every weekday, when I finish work, from 3pm onward (I had better throw in a few nips of Mcgillicuddies too). My drinking increased significantly on weekends. I was also smoking a quarter of weed every 2-3 weeks.

I quit both marijuana and drink 3 weeks ago. The reason being... I deal with some significant mental health issues and realised that I had been self-medicating (although for the longest time I convinced myself otherwise). Furthermore, the after effects of drinking started causing severe anxiety and depression. After a big weekend, I could be heavily depressed for days on end. Interestingly enough, during this time (past 2 years) I was able to work out regularly, coach football in the evening and play in a competitive soccer league. I guess I enjoyed the endorphin rush combined with a hit of weed and booz!

I am three weeks sober and have questions about withdrawal. The first week I had heavy night sweats. The second week anxiety and depression really hit. I am handling this with the guidance of a good pschologist and psychiatrist. It is the 3rd week that has been bizzar. Since Friday i have been having the most intense vivid dreams. My legs and Ribs began to really ache (which is still lingering) and I was experiencing times where I was extremely cold (kind of shivering). I have had wierd headaches and my hands and fingers have ichy red spots appering (kind of like hives i guess). Not to mention a strange sore throat (for some reason I know these symptoms are not related to a cold or virus).

I guess my question is, is it possible that these symptoms are part of the withdrwal process? I am actually quite suprised I would be experiencing so many detox symtoms. I guess I thought I did not drink enough to warrant it.

Any feed back would be much appreciated and thank you all for your time

Cheers Lentils
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Yes, those *might* be detox-related. If you check around various postings here, you'll find just about all of them reported by one or more people.

But please tell your doctor about them to make sure none of them is related to a medical problem! You may be detoxing, but even detoxing people can catch the flu, have allergic reactions, etc. Don't forget there's more to you than just your drinking history!

You were drinking pretty darned heavily and it's a very smart move that you quit. Congratulations!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also think they could be down to detox, I've been having the most bizarre and sometimes frightening dreams lately and have a constant headache. It might be good to talk it through with your doctor to get some peace of mind.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lentils! Welcome to SR. I had all of those symptoms except for the sore throat. Any past injury I had hurt again (even from years ago), probably in the time frame you mention. Dreams lasted awhile, so did headaches.

I didn't classify myself as an alcoholic either, until I had that nasty withdrawal. Eye opener, isn't it?

Hang in there!!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lentils

most of the stuff you list is stuff I had - the sweats, the anxiety/depression, and the vivid dreams...

the other stuff tho -
My legs and Ribs began to really ache (which is still lingering) and I was experiencing times where I was extremely cold (kind of shivering). I have had wierd headaches and my hands and fingers have ichy red spots appering (kind of like hives i guess). Not to mention a strange sore throat (for some reason I know these symptoms are not related to a cold or virus).
might be worth getting checked out - its probably nothing - a lot of us get sick in early recovery - but if you're concerned, best thing to do is see your Dr.

D
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lentils congratulations on 3 weeks
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

First off, welcome to SR and congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.

I am 13 days sober and my dreams have been very intense. I think it's just that I never remembered my dreams before because I was too drunk.

If you're worried about any possible detox/withdrawal effects, ask a doctor.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on three weeks sober! If you have concerns about your health, I'd suggest seeing your doctor for a thorough check up.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lentils,

Congrats on 3 weeks! I'm only on day 3...3 weeks sounds like a lifetime. Regarding your detox symptoms, I have terrible itching too, but mine is mainly on my back, belly and back of legs. An antihistimine has helped greatly, which leads me to believe that my body is actually having an allergic type of reaction WITHOUT alcohol! SO odd, because I didn't consider myself an alcoholic either. I'd drink a bottle and a half of wine every night plus whatever I had at lunch or happy hour. I was functioning just fine for a long time but started having blackouts over the last few months. Couldn't even remember what movie we watched on movie nights with my husband and kiddos. That's pretty bad.

Since my husband works in the holistic supplement field (ironic, right?), my first reaction to your body aches and sore throat is your body's gradual release of toxins, but you should probably get checked out by a doctor just in case.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cannabis use decreases quality and vividness of dreams, thus you are experiencing this now because you have stopped using it. I don't quite know why this occurs. It may be that cannabis inhibits REM sleep, more most dreaming occurs. But there could be many other reasons why it affects dreaming.