Notices

Day 2

Old 03-23-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi all,

I'm on day 2 from my normalcy of drinking a bottle and a half of wine a night, and I'm having some nasty itching issues and headaches. Is itching normal for alcohol withdrawal? It completely sucks. I haven't had tremors or vomiting, but the night sweats are awful...but I also had those while I was drinking too. I guess I'm asking is if this is the worst I can expect if it's been nearly 48 hrs already?

Also, my husband thinks I'm over-reacting by wanting to quit altogether, but I just don't know when to stop when get started. It's a little scary, since alcoholism is pretty prevalent in my family. So, we have plenty of wine and a fully stocked liquor cabinet here at the house. Do you think it's necessary for me to get it out of my environment? I only ask because I don't think my husband should have to suffer for my issues. Yes, I'm tempted to have just a little bit, but I'm also pretty darn stubborn. I think I can handle being around it without falling prey.

I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions, and thank you for any guidance you can give.

Hugs!
Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome peekaboo - it's great to have you join us.

I remember being very itchy, with creepy-crawly skin. Night sweats & headaches happened to me too.

I think in the early days it's advisable to not have liquor around. We're all different in this regard - but to be safe, I wouldn't chance it. Now that I'm sober, it doesn't bother me to be around it - but early on it would have. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you.

Congrats on your Day 2.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments, Hevyn. You might be right. I'll at least ask him to move it somewhere out of sight.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Peekaboo congrats on day 2 good job coming here this site is a fantastic source of sobriety & support

I would suggest letting your other half knowing your taking this seriously so it's underlined but either way as long as you know that's enough

Have you thought about a plan of action
Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome Peekaboo!

Congratulations on day two!

I hope you read around and post often! Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5865858

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was terribly itchy for awhile. 45 days in and it's been gone for quite awhile now.

I got rid of all of the alcohol in the house on day 7, it was liberating for me. There have been a couple of days that I was very grateful I had got rid of it. Not that I would have drank for sure, but the temptation was completely removed.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Peekaboo congrats on day 2 good job coming here this site is a fantastic source of sobriety & support

I would suggest letting your other half knowing your taking this seriously so it's underlined but either way as long as you know that's enough

Have you thought about a plan of action
Don't really have a plan other than just not drinking. It's unnerving how many times I've thought about just one glass though. Other than resistance, I'm not sure what kind of plan I should have. Suggestions?

The headache is getting worse this evening, since this is usually when I would be a few glasses in already. And, the itching is ramping up too. It's hard to believe I'm so physically tied to alcohol. I mean, I'm working on my Master's program, working a successful career, raising kids, etc...yet, here I am asking about issues of sobriety. Just makes me wonder how I got this bad off.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
I was terribly itchy for awhile. 45 days in and it's been gone for quite awhile now.

I got rid of all of the alcohol in the house on day 7, it was liberating for me. There have been a couple of days that I was very grateful I had got rid of it. Not that I would have drank for sure, but the temptation was completely removed.
Congrats on 45 days! If I can go 30, it'll be my birthday. But, I'm trying not to think that far out...seems daunting.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, itching is common. It will get better. Your body is detoxing. It takes some time.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good. It's really worth it.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Peekaboo5, I think its great to recognize that you may have a problem and get it out in the open. I also think you should establish loud and clear your desire with your husband because his support will be important. Lastly, and I hate to be a downer, but it sounds like you have a lot going for you, alcohol can and will eventually destroy all of it...if you let it. Wish you the best.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome peekaboo

not to be rude but recovery wise what your husband thinks is very much immaterial. This is your problem, your recovery, and your journey.

I recommend a plan - it's not onerous to think about and may help you get through some tough spots:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee74. I'll check out your suggestion.