No
47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Do you or have you got Journal ?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you or have you got Journal ?

Hello everyone just wanted to ask how often do you Journal & how does it help you ?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I journal every night. Sometimes I only write a little bit, sometimes I write a whole lot. But it's really important to me that I write something each day. It helps me reflect on any negative feelings (resentment, fear, etc) by seeing them written down, so I know what I need to work and pray on.

Letting those bad feelings fester won't help me stay sober.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I try to write at least a page every night before bed. Probably 300-500 words or so.

I think it's a great tool, a way to get my thoughts in some kind of order, and also good to go back and look at to see where I'm progressing and where I seem stuck in my life.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to being able to keep one again, can't at the moment as it wouldn't be private. I make notes and then rip them up, or make notes on my phone then delete. The most private time I get is on SR actually.
xx
Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
I'm looking forward to being able to keep one again, can't at the moment as it wouldn't be private. I make notes and then rip them up, or make notes on my phone then delete. The most private time I get is on SR actually.
xx
The blog function here on SR can be set up as private so only you can read it if it would help you to keep a journal here.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well that's helpful Casey, thank you! Situation about to change, few weeks and I'll have moved, but in the meantime thanks again.
xx
Old 03-23-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish I did so I could write a book. Actually, I wish I had a journal from 30 years ago...it would read like a fictional horror story.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been keeping a journal for the last 18 months, since I quit drinking. I write fairly regularly, but generally not every day. At first, my journal was all about the newness of sobriety; how I felt - physically, mentally, and emotionally, experiencing events for the first time sober, etc. Almost every entry was something about my new, sober journey.

My journal entries are quite different now. I still write various things concerning my sobriety, but mostly I journal about everyday life these days ☺
Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No daily journal but, I work this Step a few times every day.
Hard part is that word PROMPTLY
- sometimes slowly - may take time for a heartfelt repentance.

Step 10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong PROMPTLY admitted it.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No. But i post/chat which feels like journaling.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I journal sporadically. And post on here.
Usually when I start writing things click together in my head and then it gets verrrry long.
Setting it down on paper really helps quiet the chaos in my head and draw lines of understanding between points A and points B. It's interesting, painful, hilarious and relieving. Through all my writing I'm learning more about myself than I ever did through the help of a counselor.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys
Old 03-24-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I keep a business and personal journal but been lacking on writing on my personal journal.

A few week back, i went to my personal journal and read entries from the last 3 years and broke down. I was in such a bad place and state of mind that it put a burden in my heart. Im fortunate right now to have this gift of sobriety an d to be able to function better and seek daily self improvement.

Thank you for this post. Keeping a journal is very beneficial. I like to look back and see how good/bad i was feeling in the past and be able to relive those moments in my mind.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

I start then stop but in my head not on paper. Think I'm gonna get myself an A4 book and give it a go, Wolfie.cheers!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've written in journals for a long time. 23 volumes of small print, some of which was used for published essays and short stories.

In recent years the alcohol really got in the way of that. I nearly stopped writing except when traveling.

Interestingly, I mostly hid the alcoholism even from my journal. This from years ago already: "I am an alcoholic. Have I ever written that? No, I doubt I have." I had just dumped a bottle down the sink, saving two shots "for ceremony's sake." One of the myriad times I pretended to quit I suppose.

I think it's time to start writing again.

Thanks soberwolf.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes. I do my step work in it and write out any difficulties i maybe having. It helps lots to rationalise my thoughts x
Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I voted yes. I've recently started doing this again. Not everyday. Paragraph or two. I have notebooks from the past. I remember it helping to get things out of my head. There is some scientific healing that happens when pen & paper come together. Also writing out a small gratitude list, has helped me immensely..

Thank you for the poll..