Notices

Sobriety & relationships

Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety & relationships

As of March 15th I am no longer with my 90+ day sober alcoholic fiancee. He told me the night of the 15th after I had just got off work that he was falling down again and feeling like he is going to relapse and not come back from it, that being said and I already knew what he was getting at so I started to cry he told me that he isn't ready for this right now. That he isn't emotionally fit to be in something. All the while this being said he had his friend there while I was balling my eyes out (he's been in recovery with my fiance also) listening but already knew he was going to tell me that night. My A brought up that I am codependent of him and he is codependent of me and that wasnt good, he also brought up my ex and that he doesn't trust me and went through a book of mine that I totally forgot I had and that I had written in them about my ex. I tried to defend myself to him but he would not hear it. I sat there just crying not knowing what else to say or do. I came back into the room and he had to tell me more. Telling me something that had happened right before he went to rehab in November when he was in the four day drunkin stooper, he told me that one night out of resentwenty towards me for accusing me of cheating with his ex girlfriend which he did back in May just before his incarceration and just before anyone found out apparently he had a problem that he cheated on me with someone and did Cocaine. I didn't want to hear this I shook my head before he told me because I couldn't take the pain I was already feeling. His friend that was there told me that it wasn't my fault that night it was his. He also looked at me and told me julian tried. I asked him if I could speak to him alone in private at first he didn't want to but then he let me. We sat outside and I told him when did this all starthe he got angry and said I'm not going into detail now what. I told him that I promised to never get in the way of his sobriety that I would rather love him from a far then see him dead. I told him i loved him more than anyone and that I will always love him. He sat there with his head low and said I'm sorry for leading you on this long. I didn't know what he meant by that but I told him it's okay. Like I always said. Trying to make him feel better in fear he'd relapse. He went inside packed a bag and told me I had to find a way to work. He though his transportation for the few weeks that I had been there and before I even moved in was is scooter. Why did he need his truck? Was he just trying to make it harder on me that he just didn't give a ****? He left me an that when I lost it crying my eyes out harder than I ever did because the love of my life just left me broken and alone not knowing alot of questions I wanted answered?

The answers I hope sober recovery could give me today.
I have went to meetings for the past two night except last night when I needed it the most.

Was he going through a dry drunk stage?
Why act like everything was okay the day before because it was our year anniversary?
Why be so angry with me now and block me from everything to communicate with him?
Why ask for the gifts that he had given me for valentine's day and my birthday?
Is he holding resentiment towards me?
Did he actually just get bored of me and just say it was because of his recovery?
Did he not love me anymore even though he said that this was the hardest thing he could've done telling me to leave? Two weeks prior we got into a fight and he told me that everyone told him that I shouldn't be here and that the last thing he wanted to do was to tell me to leave so he wanted to work on me and have me do the steps to help with my depression. We started but then we stopped and that when he started to act different with me.
The night before on our anniversary all.day he acted depressed I tried getting him to talk but he wouldn't then around dinner he was being himself, playful loving julian. He even made love to me or so I thought.

In sobriety if you are already in a relationship do they still frown apon it?
Was his sponcer really telling him to cut all ties with me completely?

Did his therapist really tell him to give it a shot and prove everyone wrong?

Why did he have his friend there that night?

Why be angry with me?

Everything was perfectly fine I thought? Except the little things I saw prior that he was doing with me anymore. I never fought him on going to meetings never made him feel bad for going I encourage him to go. I never drank I never done drugs I never went to parties. All that stuff just isn't for me. We loved doing the same things together we never would have thought to even get engaged to anyone. Me and my A never thought to even be in a relationship but we fell in love or I did... he always came back to me even when he was put in jail for 21 days. He begged Me to come back when I was going to leave him in November when he was trying to kill himself for the four days before rehab. When he was sober he asked me would I stay if he got help. I stayed.. now this? I'm so confused I can't ask him all the questions because he asked me to just leave him be. I asked him is this a break or something for a long time he said I don't know an got angry for asking twice. His mother told me that he told her that he isn't ready for a relationship right now and needs to focus on himself.

I know I need to grow up and so does he.
I'm 21 and he's 22 mentally he is 17 because this is when it all started for him

He's clinically depressed. Insane so he says and has ptsd for what happened to him prior before he was put in hand cuffs.

April 4th is his trial date to see if he is guilty or not guilty of his charges.

I just hate that I feel like I am dying and he is perfectly okay with it all. Doesn't even check up on me after all that I've done for him. Never left him through all the hurt and lies and cheating.

I should be angry... but I love him to much but I need to work on me
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm a 49 yo woman so I've been through my share of breakups. Very often you are left never truly understanding the reason why they ended the relationship. Whether or not alcohol is involved! You just have to make peace with that. You will probably never know.

Secondly, another thing I can tell you from the basis of my experience is this: This is NOT the love of your life. His conduct was laughable. He sounds like an adolescent, not a grown man. "Love" is peaceful, loyal, and mature. This is a turbid, toxic romance. You're getting too old for this nonsense. Good riddance.

Don't confuse having strong feelings for someone to mean that it's "love" or that it should continue.

As for your question, "In sobriety if you are already in a relationship do they still frown upon it?" It depends on the exact group he's working with and how the individuals in it choose to interpret "recovery doctrine." Word to the wise: Remain in control of your own life and steer clear of anyone who is not in control of theirs and making their own decisions.

So, I know you're hurting but just tough it out, and push this relationship out of your mind as much as you can. If you find yourself thinking about it, get busy doing something else to occupy yourself. Maybe it will resurrect in the future, and maybe it won't. In the meantime, I suggest you make some happy plans for the weekend either with friends, or a casual, happy, stable date.

Nothing makes a man pull his head out of his a** faster than moving on. Find some better company and blow this loser off.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

I hate that you are in pain. That being said, you really need to think how lucky you are now to not have an "A" in your life. Do a 180 degree turn and live first for yourself. You are young and you have many things for which to look forward. One of these days you will be able to look back and find this drama not to be so dramatic. Move forward and do not look back.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SoberinSyracuse is right. Move on. I'm around her age and have been through many relationships. Drama is not love. Your bf sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do. And that's ok -- he's only 22 and you're only 21. Way too young to really know what you want out of life and/or a relationship. Hopefully, though, you will realize that this is something you DON'T want and seek a more peaceful, easier relationship the next time around. You cannot save him, change him, be there for him, or anything else. You have your whole life ahead of you....don't waste it on negativity and futility! :-)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation and it seems that your fiancée has a lot of mental health issues and addiction issues to deal with. I hope that you take this time to learn more about yourself and to move on.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Salinity
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your pain salinity but it does seem like this breakup might be for the best as far as you're concerned?

I can't really answer any of your questions because there's no such thing as a typical addict response or a typical addict one...but it does sound to me like your ex is immature, like you said, & probably a little cowardly with it... and that pretty much explains his actions on that night and since.

Sounds to me that, no matter how much you feel you love him, you deserve someone more worthy of that love?

D
Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From a purely objective point of view, it seems there is a lot of chaos and instability in the relationship (and around you). I think you would be better served to find some peace?
Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

He sounds like a little brat. You deserve better.