Notices

Alcohol Abuse & Afib??

Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Abuse & Afib??

My mother was just diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (Afib). Does anyone know about the connection between alcohol abuse and Afib? I have been researching online.. I'm just wondering if anyone has personal experience or knowledge about this.

Thank you everyone! Day 37 for me..so grateful not to be drinking today.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely. My mother is in her mid-80s and has been in and out of the hospital wth a-fib for the past six months this time...it almost killed her five years ago. She has always been a wine drinker and you can't tell her otherwise, even though her doctors have tried. A tendency to a-fib can also be hereditary...it's my primary motivation for staying sober this time, because I'm not going through that if I can help it.

Here's a good link I have bookmarked...among other thngs, it says that alcohol is the "third or fourth most common cause of atrial fibrillation in the U.S."

The Link Between Atrial Fibrillation and Family History - Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke Prevention- Everyday Health
Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm a doctor...of philosophy, LOL. (Ph.D. Piled High and Deep). So I'm not qualified to render a medical opinion.

But here's my firsthand experience: My heart was not acting normally while I was drinking. Not at all. Settled down after a few weeks of abstinence.

And as for all this nonsense about a few glasses of wine being healthy for your heart? I'd love to hear from any nondrinker who was advised by their doctor to start drinking in order to improve their health, LOL!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually, every single thing I've read about the supposed benefits of alcohol always says, "if you don't drink, don't start," so what does that tell you about how "heart healthy" it really is?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a scary incident of Afib almost six years ago. They put me on atenolol and it's not recurred too much in the last six years. I know drinking is bad for it tho, as my doctor advised me not to drink.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My mother is 73 and has always been healthy (good genes) with good blood pressure, even today. No family history of Afib. She works out with a friend 3 days a week and she looks great, but she has never stopped drinking.

She went to a month long rehab about 8 years ago (family intervention, not her choice) and a counselor told her that she would die from alcohol. I thought 'how insensitive and careless' of the counselor. But, here we are.. not that she is dying, but if she doesn't take stop drinking.. She has been abusing alcohol since I can remember.

Least? are you still taking Atenolol? glad your symptoms have improved. you say they have not recurred "too much"? how often?

Arise? just curious, is your mother still drinking?

Thank you Syracuse, glad you are feeling healthy. I do believe people can have a healthy relationship with alcohol and I admit to entertaining the thought for myself. But, the reality for me is that I just can't imagine being satisfied with just one drink..
Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know if my mother is still drinking...she lives four states away. I know she's been told not to, but she does not hear anything she doesn't want to hear and her repeated bouts with heart failure have messed with her cognitive abilities. My father is even less cooperative, so...at some point, you throw up your hands.

Alcohol attacks both the heart muscle itself and the parts that generate electrical impulses. My mother had her heart jump started a couple of times (because that worked five years ago) but it didn't work this time, nor did enormous doses of meds. She now has a pacemaker, which seems to be helping.

Your mother is still a relatively young woman...she can stop this before it gets too far.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Arise, sounds like you have done all you can for your parents and no we can't be responsible. Although, I don't know about you but I have always felt responsible.

My mother and I are pretty enmeshed, so I will be with her every step of the way. We have been talking about proactive steps she can take.. she can be stubborn, but I think she is scared now..stroke is not an appealing prospective.

So glad I'm not drinking..it would be pretty crazy and depressing to be encouraging her not to drink if I still was.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm still on atenolol and the Afib rarely happens anymore. When it does, I take a 50 mg atenolol and lie down until it goes away. Normally take 25 mg twice a day.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to know, Least, she just started taking it yesterday. I will let her know. Have you ever stopped taking it in the last 6 years?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, and my mother also took good care of herself...never overweight, went to aerobics several times a week right up until last fall's afib crisis, never drank anything but wine...but oh, her wine...

At some point, we run out of "get out of jail free" cards, physically speaking.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Interesting about your mom being healthy prior too.. This just started last week, without any warning. Although, I'm learning people live with this and have no symptoms. Which may have been the case with both of our mothers..

Yes, it is wine all the way for us too! and apparently it does catch up...
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Bunting23 View Post
Good to know, Least, she just started taking it yesterday. I will let her know. Have you ever stopped taking it in the last 6 years?
No, I've been on it the whole time. I'll sometimes forget a morning or evening dose but have never stopped taking it.