Notices

Hey there, 2 weeks strong :)

Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey there, 2 weeks strong :)

Hi there my name is Ryan, I’ve drank heavily for almost 10 years now (im 26) and finally have had enough. Spending massive amounts drinking everyday and binging every weekend…I don’t even want to do the math. Black out after black out, being told my wild nights from friends the next day. I acquired the funny guy status because I was always in the center of attention making everyone laugh (probably just at me), this will be hard to break but I’m willing to do whatever it takes. I’ve lost relationships over it, Had a lot of money stolen from me from my best friend for 20 years (I know thats not my fault but if it weren’t for alcohol it wouldn’t have happened), Tried to hang myself at one point, been in a major car accident (passenger, once again wouldn’t have happened) and almost died, shattering my femur in 7 places and my head went through the window. Countless other stories of fighting and so on, recently blacked out drove for 40 minutes and grabbed a knife and started slashing my arm. My buddy said there was nothing in my eyes and I would not listen to him screaming “drop the knife” to me. I woke up drove right home in shame went downstairs and woke my roomate up crying saying “what did i do”!, He took me to the hospital and i got stiched up. I was so embarrassed and the worst part was I couldn’t remember anything and didn’t understand what I was thinking when I did this. From here I decided to stop. Today marks 2 weeks and it is amazing how different I feel. Just waking up energized and having a smile on my face is HUGE. I had made an attempt to give up alcohol a couple of years ago and made it a week but it was incredibly difficult at the time. I now realize it is because I was doing it for my ex to try and save the relationship. This is for me this time and I haven’t had any cravings what so ever. I have started working at Costco and I’m loving it, I can actually socialize, listen to people and actually truly care instead of pretending. I look so much healthier already. I know its only been two weeks but I have so much confidence in myself it’s unreal, I never want to go back to being that person I was. Can’t wait for my future finally!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Arbyz! Two weeks sober is awesome!

I hope you make a plan to stay sober permanently. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So glad you found us, arbyz, and congrats on 2 weeks. Sobriety and recovery truly is a better way of life, as you're already discovering.

I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread on this same forum. It's for anyone who has committed to sobriety this month and is a great way to build a support system to help with your recovery.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi arbyz and welcome to SR.

Congratulations on 2 weeks strong!

I'm pleased you found us, it's a great community of like minded people.

Gather all the tools you will need to help you stay sober .
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Congrats! It makes a pretty sharp comparison, doesn't it? You can tell a lot after just a few weeks sober.

For fun and smiles, do the math on all the money you'll save over the next ten years by not drinking, and think of a way you might use it! I was spending $5,475/yr on alcohol. I've already saved $1,065. Gads, the MONEY!!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I will definitely join the Class of March 2016 thread. I have lots of close friends who are here to support me and family as well luckily. I have came clean and told them everything and they all understand 100%. I will do the math tomorrow, its kind of scary as I would never have a weekend spending less than $100 (usually more) and a 6 pack a day through the week....It troubles me to think how much farther I could be in life. At least I snapped out of it. Feel like I've lost so many years :/
Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am fully committed to stop for good, as my old man says "some of us can drink, some of us can't", hes been sober for 8 years and I'm just like him.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you join us Arbyz - Welcome aboard

D
Old 03-22-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Arbyz.

Look for far you've come in 2 weeks, imagine what the rest of your life holds if it's a sober one.

See you over on March 2016 group.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard I'm on day 15 and am also one of those people who can't drink again- one day at a time
Old 03-22-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & Congratulations
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

well it's been a bit since i've checked on here, sorry for that but great news. Ill be 26 in a couple of days and that marks 3 months without a sip of liqour. Its honestly been one of the easiest things I've done, I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I haven't had one urge or craving and have managed to be able to still be around my friends while they drink. This is increasingly getting more boring and I find myself uninterested in pointless drunk conversation going nowhere all night lol. Clarity has been the most been amazing thing that has happened for me. I feel so much smarter and now see things from a different point of view or see the bigger picture I guess if that makes sense. I have been getting in touch with my spiritual side and have been meditating everyday for about a month now. I've been skateboarding again here and there and spend most of my time with a really old friend who also doesn't drink and seems to be on the same mind spectrum. He has really motivated me through a lot of this. I know feel one step ahead of 99 percent of my friends and really wish I could help them get here too but it seems none of them do. I truly love myself finally and find myself doubting if I need a girl now or find it hard to see myself settling for one who isn't quite right. Anyways heres to 3 months (ice cold water baby ) Sober life! Good luck to everyone out there, peace and love
Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wonderful update--I also find mediation great, drunks and drunk talk boring now
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quitting for yourself usually has a much higher success rate. Congrats on a great decision. This is one decision you will not regret.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow. This is a great thread. I am on day 6 and this was a boost.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are amazing. I wonder where you life is headed now? It would be a totally different story of you were still drinking.
Well done to you.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey there, thought I would leave a quick update and let all of you know I'm still on the right track. I stopped counting days now because I am so confident I'll never go back. Over 4 months though. Life is still getting better everyday and the benefits from this seem unlimited.. Still no meat and working out daily. Not a stich of depression or anxiety not even what I would consider a bad day. I keep having this feeling that my purpose here is to reach out and help people achieve the same happiness I have reached. I have a couple really close friends who are deeply hurting and very close to the same state I was in (always unhappy, dark thoughts). Last night we negotiated and came to an agreement (actually wrote out a contract lol), 30 day challenge : Those two will have absolutely zero alcohol and then access how they feel about the situation at the time. My part is the same but no cigarettes to be there by them and make it fair while positively changing my life as well. J has tried to quit a few times but was never fully committed, I think this is it for him. N seems he might have a more difficult time, he says he likes drinking, and doesn't want to live without it but I can see deep down he knows. I have a feeling their thoughts will change dramatically within 2 weeks. Can't wait to see where we are at in a month. I need to make my friends better You can all do this you just have to truly want to be happy.