Notices

doctors orders

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

doctors orders

first post here... my doctor just dropped the bomb and said I had to stop due to my high enzymes. just finding it hard to break the environment thing.. I am a creature of habit and it will be tough to skip the watering holes and the social side of it. any tips?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome keithelmo!

Please take a look around SR.

You may find these links helpful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Welcome keithelmo.

Another link you may find useful.

(Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support and wisdom you'll find here can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort and changes, but it's so worth it. I wouldn't trade my sober life for anything!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR keithelmo:

Changing our habits is definitely difficulty, but by no means impossible. You just have to make new habits. How about taking a different route home from work for a change? Or perhaps making plans to cook a nice meal with your family or go for a walk? There are literally thousands of things to "do" besides drink.

One of the things that helped me out a lot in early sobriety was making a daily plan - and making sure that I had something planned for the entire day from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. Even if it was just "reading a book" or "cleaning the bathroom" - I would list something for any hour of the day. Idle minds are a bad thing during early sobriety, so keep yourself busy.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take one day at a time and especially for those firsts (first week of after week routine, first weekend, etc) have a plan ahead of time and you will build some success in no time flat. :-)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I was a creature of habit too, which is one of the many reasons I was susceptible to alcoholism. The most important thing I did in the first weeks was change routine. It helped me a lot. My normal time to start drinking was right after supper and cleanup, so I had to do something different at that time. Shopping at different stores can also be helpful.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR and to a better way of life in recovery, keithelmo. Lot of good advice up above about changing routines, etc.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That really is 'a bomb'. I don't know how much you care about your life. Don't even know how long you care to live. But, alcohol really messes up your body. So sorry to hear that about you. I hope you get the medical attention you need.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Hope you can make the changes necessary to safeguard your health.

Originally Posted by keithelmo View Post
... it will be tough to skip the watering holes and the social side of it. any tips?
I don't know what kind of drinker you are, or the history of your abuse, but if your doctor is telling you to stop, how social is your drinking, really?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The only real hope of staying sober long term is to junk our old lives. AA has a saying, "You only have to change one thing that is everything. "

New friends, activities, places. Sobriety is about change not trying to make our old lives work without alcohol.

For me AA taught me how to make those changes and I gained a whole bunch of sober friends in the process
Old 03-21-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Keithelmo!!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate to your post on many levels. I had elevated liver enzymes, and I too was (am) a creature of habit.

No lie, it was hard at first. But the brain is quite pliable and can be re-trained to break old habits and develop new (healthier) ones. Changing up my routine was paramount for me. Take different driving routes, take up new hobbies, etc. And by all means, make a plan for sobriety, your health depends on it.

I suggest reading the book "Healing the Addicted Brain". It discusses forming new neurological pathways within our brains.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Keith

I had to change my life, because my life was all about drinking.

I thought that would be the end of me, but it turns out it was really a beginning.
I love my life and who I am now - I could never say that when I was drinking.

D
Old 03-22-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Keith