Notices

Just over a month and miserable

Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just over a month and miserable

Hello,

Just as the title states, I am so upset at the feelings I have right now. All the guilt and major upcoming repercussions of my drinking. All the relationships and responsibilities that led me to drink are making me just cry in despair. I feel overwhelmed and hopeless. Will this improve? I have been going to AA almost everyday, doing my steps with a sponsor, trying. I just want to cry.

Lilly
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lilly, I felt pretty much the same at the one month point. I had a lot of guilt and shame to deal with and I was only beginning to process it at that point. My suggestion and what helped me a lot, was journaling. I wrote down all the negative emotions going through my mind and it helped to put it down on paper. And, try to remember that one month is a relatively short time to expect big changes from people in your life. It takes a lot of patience and time, but you will notice changes as you move forward in your recovery.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Things will get better. In counseling they had us write down all the things in the past that cause us to dispair. Get them all out. Cry if you must. When you are finished tear the paper up or burn it all away. The past is gone. It no longer exists. Now all you have is the now.. this very moment...control your thoughts with positive affirmations and choose to make this moment a new beginning. All your have to think about is the here and now. Make it a golden day. ♡CR
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It gets SO much better! I am so glad I got through those first 4 months or so. That was hell on earth but it got so much better. Practically every day early on I wanted to quit but I didn't and I am SO thankful! Hang in there!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Keep working at it Lilly...things will definitely get better. 30 days is a great accomplishment but it takes time to make these changes....our bodies and minds have a lot of healing to do.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like some others here have mentioned, writing it all down really does help. I keep a daily journal that I write in before I go to bed - sometimes I write lots, sometimes only a couple of words. Just getting those negative feelings out on paper really works as a release for me. Maybe it could work for you too?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried to quit just once before and sure enough I gave up after 23 days. Why? It got hard.

I remember thinking, Well look at this, I'm still just me after all. Now what?

And instead of working through it and growing into a new me, I said screw it and got some beer.

This time I'm doing everything I can not to let that happen again.

Please stay the course. You can do it.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wasn't too happy for the first 30 days. It did start to get better and much easier. I wake up nearly every day when the sun comes up now, I haven't done that in years.

Best Wishs
Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Which step are you working on now?

You are feeling all the stuff we drank over to forget. Now it's coming to the surface. You can get through this!!!!

Keep moving forward!!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lilly,

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time right now. Like Anna, journaling helps me, sometimes just getting it all out on paper. I also find that gratitude lists, yoga, and mindfulness techniques help. Even if it is just finding all of those little things to be grateful for. Nature is another great way to find those things you are grateful for, get outside and take a walk, look for signs of spring, there are so many beautiful things in nature that may help you feel better.

❤️ Delilah
Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Over a month sober!? That's terrific, well done.

I had to stay sober long enough to let my brain start to heal so my body and spirit could also find health and peace.

I couldn't repair many years issues caused by my drinking in a short time. The truth for me was that I did indeed at time feel worse sober - many do. But I realized there were no problems that drinking would make better.

Keep working and the promises will come true for you - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly - but they will always materialize.

Glad you're here with us, you're not alone
Old 03-21-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on a month sober! Early recovery can be a rough ride for a while. I found it helped me a lot to make a gratitude list every day. Just counting my blessings helped me to focus on the positive instead of the negative.