Notices

Day 2

Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Just wanted to say hello and let you know a bit about my plight.

I'm 33 and have been a binge drinker since about 17. I've known there's been a problem for a long time but, because I've been doing well at work and have a good social network, I suppose it's been easy to ignore.

After going out last saturday for a friends birthday and not returning home until Wednesday evening though. Having lost my coat, phone and wallet, and feeling so ill Thurs and Fri (paranoia, crazy night sweats etc.), it's come to the point where I now realise that I can never drink again.

Crazy thing is that I can go weeks without drinking without even trying too hard and can go out for a few beers without going off the rails. I can even keep a few beers in the fridge without thinking about them. However, if I go out with the intention of having a few more beers, without a doubt it will turn into a bender, I'll do some really stupid stuff and I'll miss some important work due to partying or withdrawal.

Basically, I don't even like drinking, it messes up my life and I really want to stop. Life would be soooo much better without it. I've thought this for the past 10 years at least, but continue to do so. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Congratulations to everyone who's conquered drink, I hope to learn from you - good luck to anyone embarking on the journey, hopefully we can help each other.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulation on your decision! Use the forum as much as you can, there is so much help and support here. This is the best day of your life! I wish you all the best, remember that you're worth it!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I describe myself as an 'Alcoholic' - as described in the 'big book' of AA. It took a long time to get to that very comfortable realization, however the gut-wrenching, bloody-face-in-the pavement process of getting from 'I have an addiction' to the realization that I have a condition of Mind, Body, and Spiritual Malady as described specifically in the AA big book, was horrible. (Pitiful and Incomprehensible Demoralization after bad drinking episodes, and being restless, irritable, and discontent when not drinking)

The GREAT news is that the SOLUTION as described in the AA big book WORKS, and thru working the Steps I am now ...

RDBplus3 - Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 03-20-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I haven't conquered drink, I'm given a daily reprieve from it. It's been that way for five years two months now.
You're a braver man than me having beer around and not thinking about it. When I was drinking, it was all I thought about.

It started out easy enough for me, get drunk once in awhile and not worry about it.
Then, it became my life. I loved to drink, so I did. This started when I was fourteen.
I've been every kind of drinker there is except a dead one and that's only by the grace of God.

I'm an alcoholic. I can never drink in any way safely again.
I was a binger for a long time. That lead to a life that revolved around alcohol. If I didn't have a beer in my hand, I was thinking about one.
You're very wise to realize you may have a problem now. I won't go into the gory details of the path alcohol led me down, but if you can stop now you'll save yourself a world of misery.
See, alcoholism, and I'm not saying you're an alcoholic, is very predictable.
The only hope for us who can't control our drinking is complete abstinence.

You'll find lots of support here, so I hope you stick around.
Best to you my friend.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Stiltskin
Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I know my problems are nothing compared to many - but it's where I'm heading that scares me.

I would really like to go to a meeting on Fri evening....but I'm not sure if I'll be seen as an imposter as I'm not on the streets etc..? It feels like a really big step and very scary....but in the back of my mind I know it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stiltskin. You have the sterotypical view of an alcoholic which is not true. There are many of us who don't have DUIs, haven't lost a job or all our money, been on the streets, etc. Yet.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can go to a meeting. The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. You don't have to be "on the streets" to attend. It's good that you want to stop now before things get worse.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Stiltz,

SR is an AA meeting without the drama, depth, focus, and feel of accountability that f2f creates. AA will still not stop you from drinking. It is a tool you can use to quit if you want to.

SR can't usuallly give you a real life hug if you need it. SR is a fast track to education about alcoholism without requiring an appointment.

There is no edit at AA meetings. Once it is said, it is not retrieved.

AA meetings are proven old school, pre internet based. AA works if you work it. It can become your new non drinking life. Because when we quit drinking, we need something to do...we used to sit around being drunk...that is boring when sober.

If you have no place else to turn, AA can save your life. I've been to 5 meetings in my 10 sober months.

I picked up hobbies before quitting. I now spend more time doing those hobbies much better, instead of drinking.

For me now, I almost feel like a braggert going back to a meeting.

Walk in, still sober, and not been to a meeting in 5 months. I did my recovery w God and SR..look at me.

I know they don't care about that, but it feels funny to me.

My world.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stiltskin View Post
Thanks for the support. I know my problems are nothing compared to many - but it's where I'm heading that scares me.

I would really like to go to a meeting on Fri evening....but I'm not sure if I'll be seen as an imposter as I'm not on the streets etc..? It feels like a really big step and very scary....but in the back of my mind I know it's the right thing to do.
Hi and welcome Stiltskin

We have doctors, lawyers, police, judges, politicians, teachers, and CEOs here along with the stay at home moms and grandmas and grandpas...and the folks who've lived under bridges and been in prison.

Alcohol is no respecter of social standing and the scope of ones problem need not be measured in volume..I know guys you drank less than me who died and guys who drank more and who will never identify with being alcoholic.

You won't be seen as an impostor either at AA or here at SR. There's no entrance exam

D