Notices

Very bad action tonight, but better than drinking

Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Very bad action tonight, but better than drinking

Ok. I feel disgusting right now, and I've earned the grossness that is my entire body. Backstory....
Had a work party today. The host specifically got wine I liked, not knowing I no longer drink. Laughed with the group, while watching everyone drink, not the most fun.
Got invited out to dinner with more drinking and fatty food. Asked again, refused again. Third time - NO I am going home.

So, since I managed to hold off all the cravings and make it home sober and committed, I rewarded myself. With McDonald's. Yes it's gross, so unhealthy, blah, blah. It was a stupid reward and I think I gained 5 lbs. in 15 minutes. Now I feel sick, but, and this is the point, I will do ANYTHING that will keep me from drinking. And if I do something dumb like I did tonight, it is worth it to keep sober!
Thanks for reading
Old 03-18-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's not so bad! Good for you?
What did you eat at mcdonalds ( living vicariously)
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Anything to keep from drinking is not gross. Do whatever it takes. Good job of avoiding the wine temptation!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

McDonald's kinda sounds good right now tbh lol. Damn, I'm hungry lol.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If Mc Donald's isn't your thing, how about stopping at BK next time
Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you're not eating there every day it shouldn't hurt once in a while. And it sure beats drinking.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You did great, and rewarded yourself appropriately. There is nothing wrong with eating anything at McDonalds occasionally if you enjoy it. Eating there frequently can be a problem, but still way better than drinking. McDonalds can't really ruin your life, but drinking can, very easily.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I worked at the BK lounge for 3 years, so will stick with the enemy. As for the answer, and be prepared to be grossed out, I had a Big Mac, no pickle, a caramel sundae with extra caramel, and fries. Just typing that is making me want to throw up, but now I am laughing about it and so happy I didn't drink today!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done excellent not drinking
Old 03-18-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amyrose View Post
I worked at the BK lounge for 3 years, so will stick with the enemy. As for the answer, and be prepared to be grossed out, I had a Big Mac, no pickle, a caramel sundae with extra caramel, and fries. Just typing that is making me want to throw up, but now I am laughing about it and so happy I didn't drink today!
Omg that sounds so good right now lol. I better go eat something, I'm starving.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok. I feel disgusting right now, and I've earned the grossness that is my entire body. Backstory....
Had a work party today. The host specifically got wine I liked, not knowing I no longer drink. Laughed with the group, while watching everyone drink, not the most fun.
Got invited out to dinner with more drinking and fatty food. Asked again, refused again. Third time - NO I am going home.

So, since I managed to hold off all the cravings and make it home sober and committed, I rewarded myself. With McDonald's. Yes it's gross, so unhealthy, blah, blah. It was a stupid reward and I think I gained 5 lbs. in 15 minutes. Now I feel sick, but, and this is the point, I will do ANYTHING that will keep me from drinking. And if I do something dumb like I did tonight, it is worth it to keep sober!
Thanks for reading
You did the right thing

McDonalds, or any other junk food for that matter, is far better than drinking again and the life-threatening effects of withdrawal. I would rather trash my body with junk food than give alcohol another chance to "take over".

Early on I found that sweets really helped me stave off the cravings. And of course plenty of coffee.

Bottom line is..... do WHATEVER you need to do to stay sober...... whatever that might be (junk food, greasy food, sweets, etc). A "whatever it takes" policy is essential, there can be no compromises.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's not even that bad haha!
I expected a serious binge list!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I was having a serious fast food craving today, but since I made a commitment to 30 days with no fast food. But, that sounds really good. When I was coming back from the lumber yard today, I was very tempted to go to Five Guys, but I held off. But, as I am also in early recovery, I reward myself on days when I have a minor victory. Great job on passing on the wine!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha - sorry jsbodhi that I was disappointing :-)

On a serious note, I wasn't sure about posting here, and felt dumb. Now looking at the support and joking, I feel so much better!! This site and all of you who take the time to respond, make this journey amazing. To think I could have missed this to be back in a blur of booze. Not worth it even for a second.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hear ya, Amyrose. Food splurges were one of my "tools" the first few months...I figured cheeseburgers, chocolate, whatever it took. Luckily the food cravings calmed down too over time.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My first 6 months or so cheese was my go to food.
Good job on not picking up and don't guilty about the junk food.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been known to have McDonald's french fries and a Diet Coke for lunch to kill a craving. Unfortunately I have discovered Carls Jr. fries are better, but have more calories Must stop, argh
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Saw the title of your post and thought, " oh no." Then you posted about McDonald's, I started laughing. Very proud of you for not drinking. Did you at least get the second Big Mac for $1.00?!?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

True story: McD's saved me once from a relapse in early sobriety.
It's a much better choice than drinking.
Don't beat yourself up!!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Saw the title of your post and thought, " oh no." Then you posted about McDonald's, I started laughing. Very proud of you for not drinking. Did you at least get the second Big Mac for $1.00?!?
LOL no I stuck to one :-)

I am glad you got a good laugh on a Friday night.