Notices

Sober dream?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sober dream?

Hey Gang,

Relaxing here and enjoying this Friday.

The job is done, I got a nap in, my kid is home safe starting his spring break.

I read a post that got me thinking...

But first a glance at the past....

When I was a drunk, I would be 3 or 4 double/triple shots into a weekend binge. My wife would be mad at me. I would pass out around 9 pm and wake up around 5 am with a horrid hangover, tons of guilt and anxiety. I would have forgotten what I had for dinner until I went down stairs and saw the trash.

I would be bloated and ready to start drinking by noon tomorrow. If my kid had baseball, I would have a shot or 2 before leaving, bring booze in a water bottle, then get hammered in my man cave after baseball...

Wake up Sunday craving, but knowing I have to work Monday so I better dry out...pretty much a nightmare.

Just a glance at the past....

Now, the present....

Craving a bit, but w 10+ months of sober time, all this education, a personal mental tape library of the hell drying out has been...I am never drinking again...

More energy then ever...

My friends at the gym tell me I look like a different person.. My wife stares at me...my kid says I am a beast...

The bad is...I still deal w bouts of anxiety every day...

that is my current life...

So....What is my sober dream? What can I now achieve w my new sober life?

I want to be in great shape. Be a great Dad. Be a great Husband. Risk some savings in a capital venture project that could make millions.

Safely but courageously ride my motorcycle again...it has been almost a year....

Get my house in super shape. Keep my cool job. Get a cool used car...

That is about it for now...

Anyone care to offer what their sober dreams and goals are....

Or...

Give me some counselling on my crazyness...

Up to you....

Old 03-18-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds like great goals your working toward bud I love sober fridays nights
Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Many decades ago I had a passion for hiking and backpacking. That went away with the drinking and life became a day to day survival. I've recently re-ignited that passion. I've been training like a fiend lately. I'm going on a 16 day trek to Mt.Everest base camp at the begining of May. It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, thought I'd want to summit back then but with age comes smarts, lol. So yeah, life gets so much better and your dreams become reality when you stop the drinking. All that in just over 6 months sober.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All I've ever really wanted was to live a peaceful life. And now, sober, I am doing just that.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm afraid to think too far ahead. Still difficult to picture my life sober for more than today. I like reading the posts of others who have more time than me as inspiration (day 32 here) that there is a happy life without drinking. My life is amazing so I have no complaints (great job, health, husband, friends), which is extra sad that I choose (chose) to drink it away instead of facing my insecurities and believing I deserve everything I have.