Notices

The Sloth

Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Sloth

Good morning and thanks for stopping in. I'm just past the 1 month point (after 15 years of drinking 1-2 bottles of wine nightly) and wondering if this is normal: I am and have been for a good week+ bitchy, itchy, grumpy, lazy, foggy, weepy, sleepy (gravity is crushing at times), hungry (as in fairly mainlining JUNK-- chips, chocolate, ice cream) Just can't seem to get out of my own way...Aaarrgg!

Any advice? -- Thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on a month sober.

Early recovery (and one month is still early) has a lot of emotional ups and downs. These symptoms pass, but we do have to make an effort not to let them drag us down, to not let our low points spiral into despair or lead to drinking again.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one month sober! Early recovery can be a bumpy ride for a while. Stay sober and it will get better.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very common...I seem to hit new walls at one month intervals, but now on day 76 or so things are evening out.

Take exceptional care of yourself...we're rebuilding our bodies cell by cell and we need nutrients and lots of water and some good exercise...and it's always a good idea to get a check up. One of the many things alcohol can mess up is our thyroid function, so if you stay super tired, are cold all the time, experience hair loss or weird weight gain, it's something to have checked.

The best thing about a difficult first month is that it helps us remember why we never want to go through it again...you're doing great. Good for you!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YEAH! One month is incredible, isn't it? You are getting out of your own way. Be gentle with yourself !

I love the ARRGGGG! I really get it!

I channelled that emotional energy into trying new things,
but usually solo in harder times; as to not explode on someone!

Somedays just getting outside for a walk helped because I was being hit with the emotional roller coaster.

I read anything that put positive thoughts in my head because my head was crazy! Even, especially children's books, and the NA Basic Text, which I still read every day.

I ate anything crunchy!

p.s. I eventually burned my journals from that time period. It was funny, devastating, embarrassing... Choosing to start caring for yourself is the best decision ever.

You are necessary, Sis!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing is completely normal. Take comfort in knowing that it will pass as you, and your body, adjust to sobriety. You'll get there. Just keep doing what you are doing.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Very common...I seem to hit new walls at one month intervals, but now on day 76 or so things are evening out.

Take exceptional care of yourself...we're rebuilding our bodies cell by cell and we need nutrients and lots of water and some good exercise...and it's always a good idea to get a check up. One of the many things alcohol can mess up is our thyroid function, so if you stay super tired, are cold all the time, experience hair loss or weird weight gain, it's something to have checked.

The best thing about a difficult first month is that it helps us remember why we never want to go through it again...you're doing great. Good for you!
Thank you!
Drinking lots of water, have an appt. for thyroid test to see if my current meds are off.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choicy View Post
YEAH! One month is incredible, isn't it? You are getting out of your own way. Be gentle with yourself !

I love the ARRGGGG! I really get it!

I channelled that emotional energy into trying new things,
but usually solo in harder times; as to not explode on someone!

Somedays just getting outside for a walk helped because I was being hit with the emotional roller coaster.

I read anything that put positive thoughts in my head because my head was crazy! Even, especially children's books, and the NA Basic Text, which I still read every day.

I ate anything crunchy!

p.s. I eventually burned my journals from that time period. It was funny, devastating, embarrassing... Choosing to start caring for yourself is the best decision ever.

You are necessary, Sis!

YES--- I need to get out there and walk. Taking your advice, and thank you
Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
What you are experiencing is completely normal. Take comfort in knowing that it will pass as you, and your body, adjust to sobriety. You'll get there. Just keep doing what you are doing.
Thank you, firstymer! You guys are a real help.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You already did the first right thing by coming in here and asking for help. Enjoy your walk.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree with Least & Carl
Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Time

Best remedy going.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You may want to consider a multi vitamin since you mentioned eating mainly junk. Taking vitamins really helped me.
You can also have your doctor do a complete blood workup that will check for some vitamin levels.

** Mod/admin **
If the multi vitamin recommendation is considered medical advice I apologize and please edit/delete this post.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

After coming out of the chaos of active alcoholism, I have found that slowly adding structure to my life helps tremendously. I started simple, by making myself a to-do list after breakfast. Then I started sticking to a small time window for my meditation. That gave me something to schedule around to start organizing my days better. I have just recently started waking up at a set time every morning to start regulating my sleep better. And keeping some sort of written daily, weekly, and monthly planner keeps things organized to cut down on the overwhelm that can come from not knowing what to do first.

Here is another trick that helped me a lot: start observing how long simple every day tasks take to complete. Things that seem like a two minute operation often take much longer. If I know realistically how much time I really need to get out the door in the morning, then I can factor in an extra half hour to relax and not feel rushed.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I have found that organization slowly leads to discipline and determination.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think everyone probably adjusts a little bit differently. Obviously the important thing to do is keep going. I firmly believe your body will level out.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice going on a month!!!! Yep, what your experiencing is pretty normal for many people. When I was going through all those moods, I'd get upset with myself for being so upset over stupid things. That just made me more upset. Then this issue came up at an AA meeting. The advice was to just be ok with it. It's ok being upset over little things. Accept it and ride it out, because there really is a light at the end of the dark tunnel. Made it much easier when I looked at it that way. John
Old 03-18-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sisu1 View Post

I'm just past the 1 month point

been for a good week+ bitchy, itchy, grumpy, lazy, foggy, weepy, sleepy
I had at least 5 of those at one month sober.
So, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Slowly but surely things will start to level out.

Let's face it -- your mind, body and soul are doing some adjusting.

M-Bob
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was pretty normal for me Sisu. Trying to be as active as possible really helps, I think

D
Old 03-19-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think you're on to something with the vitamins. I do take a b complex, magnesium, c, and d. But that's it. Great idea on the multi, thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I find even making a list daunting, at the moment. Sad, eh?
I did it! (would prefer to go back to bed) NO! Thanks