Notices

Biggest cause of slips & relapses?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Biggest cause of slips & relapses?

I'm curious what you guys think are the biggest causes of relapse/slips?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If we understood this, it would be so much easier to avoid relapse.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

My counselor always said that you relapse in your mind before you do in real life.

Basically, always remain vigilant of your thoughts.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
If we understood this, it would be so much easier to avoid relapse.
I was hoping to get some advice from people with some long term sobriety. Anna? Dee? Wolf? You guys have been watching people relapse over & over for years. What do you think are the most common reasons for that?

I started this thread so I could build up my tool box for "relapse prevention".

Obviously the people WHO don't relapse are doing something different than those who do. What is it?

Thx!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hungry/angry/lonely/tired coupled with strong rationalization that drinking would be good medicine just that one time.
I constantly check in with myself to make sure I'm keeping myself fortified with life nourishing habits realizing that this fight can be lost without vigilance.
Doing these things now for a number of months to the point that they are habitual and the urge to relapse continues to diminish in strength.
Stay vigilant.
Jonathan
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

I won't be very popular here, but what the heck. I was always told that there are no causes for slips and/or relapses, only excuses.

(o:
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it is anxiety. I caused a lot of damage to my life so I fear it is already ruined forever. these thoughts race through my mind and alcohol seems to be the only thing that calms me.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a few years under my belt and I believe it is not having a recovery plan in place especially when the witching hour comes usually on Friday night after a hard weeks work. That and you finally have to want to truly be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Lack of education is #1.

I did not know what i was doing to myself w all the binging...

That is why I constantly tell new folks about the brain damage....

They do not get that part, like I didn't, initially.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

The main cause for my relapse was first entertaining the idea that I could control my drinking again and then believing the lie. The way I stay sober is, as already mentioned, by watching my thoughts. I pay attention to my thinking as well as make sure that I am in good spiritual condition. I first learned those things through the AA program, and have added other teachings along the way.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Why did you drink before ... stress, anxiety, boredom etc?
Each person is different. The more tools you have for dealing with things the better. You should try to have more than one tool for things. One tool that works for one stressful situation may not work for a different stressful situation. It's a learning process, to recognize situations before you get overwhelmed.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think complacency is a big factor. To stay sober I really had to remember how relentless my desire to drink again could be.

I have to remember that any thought I have that a drink is a good idea is a wrong one.

I think a lot of people underestimate the task too. Staying sober can be hard, especially in the beginning.

Some people fall into the trap of thinking it will always be as hard as it is in the beginning and they drink again because they get scared of that.

Some people are unwilling to change their life sufficiently. I had to change my life completely because my old one was all about me drinking.

Some people are unwilling to ask for help too. They feel it's weak and that they 'should be able' to not drink, on their own without assistance. Sometimes they'll find the support, but not use it when they need it.

Some people are in denial as to the seriousness of their problem.

They think a month or two of enforced abstinence will have changed them or turned them into a normal drinker.

Some folks simply don't want to stop drinking. The want to drink as much as they want to and not have any negative consequences.

Some people think all they need to do is to try and not drink.
It's like running into a burning building with your eyes shut and hoping not to get burned.

A plan is fundamental
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I've said 'some people' here but, in reality, I've been guilty of all of these and probably more.

Others may have more ideas to share Kiki

D
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zufrieden View Post
Hungry/angry/lonely/tired coupled with strong rationalization that drinking would be good medicine just that one time. I constantly check in with myself to make sure I'm keeping myself fortified with life nourishing habits realizing that this fight can be lost without vigilance. Doing these things now for a number of months to the point that they are habitual and the urge to relapse continues to diminish in strength. Stay vigilant. Jonathan
Great advice Jonathan! Exactly the type of advice I was hoping to get!!! I will add it to my toolbox. Thx!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I won't be very popular here, but what the heck. I was always told that there are no causes for slips and/or relapses, only excuses. (o:
Call it whatever you want...causes, excuses...

The whole point of me starting this thread is to continue to stay sober & to NOT do what the people who are chronic relapsers are doing.

If you didn't like my post you could have just ignored it. ;-)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Failing to have a plan or failing to follow it daily would be my response. Almost every time I started drinking again it was because I thought I was somehow "better" and didn't need to do the work anymore.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some people are unwilling to ask for help too. They feel it's weak and that they 'should be able' to not drink, on their own without assistance. Sometimes they'll find the support, but not use it when they need it.

A plan is fundamental

Others may have more ideas to share Kiki

D
Dee has many good points. As for this one, seek help when the urge is starting, not when you feel too weak to fight it anymore.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
For me it is anxiety. I caused a lot of damage to my life so I fear it is already ruined forever. these thoughts race through my mind and alcohol seems to be the only thing that calms me.
Yes I agree that anxiety can be a major trigger! I have been trying very hard to use prayer, meditation, exercise, deep breathing etc to help with this. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly constitutes a plan? They are talked about a lot, but no one ever wants to define what one would look like.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think complacency is a big factor. To stay sober I really had to remember how relentless my desire to drink again could be. I have to remember that any thought I have that a drink is a good idea is a wrong one. I think a lot of people underestimate the task too. Staying sober can be hard, especially in the beginning. Some people fall into the trap of thinking it will always be as hard as it is in the beginning and they drink again because they get scared of that. Some people are unwilling to change their life sufficiently. I had to change my life completely because my old one was all about me drinking. Some people are unwilling to ask for help too. They feel it's weak and that they 'should be able' to not drink, on their own without assistance. Sometimes they'll find the support, but not use it when they need it. Some people are in denial as to the seriousness of their problem. They think a month or two of enforced abstinence will have changed them or turned them into a normal drinker. Some folks simply don't want to stop drinking. The want to drink as much as they want to and not have any negative consequences. Some people think all they need to do is to try and not drink. It's like running into a burning building with your eyes shut and hoping not to get burned. A plan is fundamental http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html I've said 'some people' here but, in reality, I've been guilty of all of these and probably more. Others may have more ideas to share Kiki D
This is great stuff! Thank you Dee. :-)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

This miamifella