Notices

day 4 and i want to use

Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 and i want to use

so today is day 4 and i am desperate to use. i had a really vivid dream of my dealer last night and i want to see him. plus he has never been to my house and keep craving and thinking itll be good and fun please help im restless too
Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dreams and cravings are just thoughts Laura. Try and remember that they will soon pass, and also that if you use today you will pay for it many times over tomorrow. Stay close to SR, do you have any local support like a meeting you could go to?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thoughts will pass. They get fewer and far between over time.
One thing I always tell myself is I will never regret NOT DRINKING (or using whatever it may be). But I will always regret picking up a drink or a drug. Always!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't let your thoughts become actions. If you use, you will regret it and have to start all over.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow thanks foe that advice im going to keep saying that to myself over and over again. No i dont go to meetings i have tried in the past and they didnt help they just made me want it more i think ill try and rwlax and nap
Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lauraxxx View Post
so today is day 4 and i am desperate to use. i had a really vivid dream of my dealer last night and i want to see him. plus he has never been to my house and keep craving and thinking itll be good and fun please help im restless too
Yea, this is scary because dreams can seem so real. And sometimes the feelings DO NOT GO AWAY...until we use...or in my case "drink".

Once I have made my mind up to "drink" nothing stops me. A good sign is you came on here to try and distract yourself. For me when I feel like you are feeling there is nothing anyone can do or say. Maybe just think about the reason you have stopped...Go out...distract yourself....eat good food.

Everytime the thought comes in your head...immediately tell yourself to think of something else. I hope you get thru this.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

It was a breakthrough for me when I realized that the feelings didn't have control of me.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I immediately think H.A.L.T. whenever I get the urge to drink. I ask myself:
Am I Hungry?
Am I Angry or Anxious?
Am I Lonely?
Am I Tired or Thirsty?

Then I take care of the real source of the urge. Eat, drink some water or tea, call someone, do something relaxing or take a walk. Nap for a bit.

The urge goes away as quickly as it came and I move on.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You did the right thing coming in here and admitting to those thoughts, Lauraxxx. Sometimes just putting those thoughts out there takes their power away. Keep posting in here every minute if you have to. Or maybe a nice long walk after a good breakfast and a shower is just what you need. You can do this!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Lauraxxx View Post
Wow thanks foe that advice im going to keep saying that to myself over and over again. No i dont go to meetings i have tried in the past and they didnt help they just made me want it more i think ill try and rwlax and nap
I understand. AA meetings had a similar effect on me -- sitting around and talking about alcohol made me obsess about it more. So maybe recovery meetings aren't the ticket but how about go to a fundraiser, or a church service, or a demonstration, or a cheap nite class on how to make gift baskets. You know, anything to fill the hours when you would normally use.

You are stronger than the cravings so \hang in and tough them out. Every one you fight and win, the next one will have less power.

Think of a craving like a mugger. Try not to let it catch you alone in a dark alley. Post here right away anytime day or night if you feel one coming and we'll talk you off the cliff.

Please post back here as you ride out this craving. Maybe we haven't met you, but people battling addiction have a special bond and the members here honestly CARE about you.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Laura you need to keep telling yourself why you wanted/needed to stop.

Remember the misery, not the magic..
Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good luck
Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your amazing words i am going to use every singke one. I agree if i want it i get it nothing can stop me but i know i cant do this and i dont need it i feel better than i did before im hoing to start making the tea and my partner is on his way home which im really happy about but after tea maybe a struggle cos id start around 6 half 6 if i was to use so i will report back then
Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats getting through that Laura x
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Stay strong Laura, it gets better.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It has been helpful for me be able compare/contrast how I felt before ever using substances to how I felt when I knew I needed to STOP. And then compare how I felt when I needed to STOP with how I feel NOW-seven months later...Don't think I need to tell you which one is better....There are reasons people drink and use...they are seeking out the "sweet spot" that is only temporary and is really a false sense of feeling good and continues to change our brain chemistry for the worse the more we put things in our body that cross our blood brain barrier. You can expect cravings. You can expect to feel a certain 'hole' in your life until you begin to heal and fill that void with better, longer lasting things.

You can do this. You can get through those moments of weakness and will come out ahead as a result. Have you got a plan of what to do when the cravings hit and you are tempted?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

My perceptions cloud things. Meetings weren't for me when I was still stuck in my addiction. They did tend to help my mind focus on the negative.

When I was finally done drinking and using, those meetings came in handy.

Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, Life Ring, SOS, Women for Sobriety among other programs work well, when we want to stay stopped more than we want to drink/use. Find something that works for you and work it well!!!!

I know for me every time I picked back up, things did get worse and worse.

Hugs and Love sent to you! You CAN stay stopped today!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some people use urge surfing :

Riding the Wave: Using Mindfulness to Help Cope with Urges | Portland Psychotherapy

Some people just try to stay really busy to keep their minds off of it. It's great that you came here to post and are being so honest with yourself. Why don't you make a list of things to do when you get cravings?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have made lists which i kinda ignore, when i want it my head is in a tunnel. But i had forgotten about the urge surfing im really glad u rwmindwd me. It is almost 7pm in the uk and i feel good, wathchin my soaps which i love and im knitting to keep busy
Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing ok now Laura

D