Notices

Victim of Childhood Sexual Abuse

Old 03-16-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Victim of Childhood Sexual Abuse

Hi all-

I am posting this in Newcomer's since it has higher traffic --I think it may be a F&F question, Dee?

I am needing suggestions for secular group (s) for a victim of childhood sexual abuse.

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to newcomers! Are you seeking a local support group or something virtual like a forum?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Scott-thanks for responding so fast.

Something like SR would be great--I just couldn't figure out which category (if any) it would fall under--ACA, maybe, but she says alcohol wasn't a factor (I kind of doubt that, but ACA probably doesn't address this issue as directly as needed.

ALSO a secular, all female group that meets face to face.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Are you seeking a group purely to help with your past trauma or also with alcoholism? There are of course many different areas here on SR - there are secular forums specific to recovery, and there are mental health forums, but I don't think there is a forum specific to sexual assault and in a secular theme.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is actually for a friend (Really!) :-)

I am a double-winner here at SR. She reached out to me via Facebook (haven't seen her in 20 years) as I work with teens/women on self esteem issues, etc., hoping i had a resource.

So.....not sure if she has any substance abuse herself--

You have answered my question as far as SR goes--confirmed there isn't an exact place to plug her in here; however, I am going to send her the link and show her a few categories.

We will keep looking for a face to face group.

Thank you for all you do, Scott! You admins are underpaid! Wait--you have to get paid to be underpaid. Sigh.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WTL
I was in bed when you posted

We don't have a dedicated forum here for sexual abuse.

Posts with serious suicide threats, graphic details of sexual abuse, and graphic details of sexual addiction are sometimes too much of a trigger for some of our members and can trigger a relapse in recovery.

SR does recommend this forum tho:

Pandora's Aquarium, an online support group, message board, and chat room for survivors rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse.

Pandora's Aquarium

The RAINN (Rape Abuse and Incest National Network) website could be helpful too?
https://rainn.org/

best wishes for your friend

D
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Hi Scott-thanks for responding so fast.

Something like SR would be great--I just couldn't figure out which category (if any) it would fall under--ACA, maybe, but she says alcohol wasn't a factor (I kind of doubt that, but ACA probably doesn't address this issue as directly as needed.

ALSO a secular, all female group that meets face to face.
My comment is not meant to offend at all...but I think this topic would be better suited in a forum for "victims of sexual abuse". I know on the web there are forums for everything.

I guess an exception to my thought process would be if this person started abusing substances or alcohol due to the early trauma. And then I would think the story would belong right in the Newcomers section as an introduction of myself...and my struggles.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Missy--I was just gathering info, which I received from Dee and Scott. We had a horrible time searching the web for a face to face group. I probably should have pm'd --so if it's the appropriate action at this point, I am certainly up for closing the thread.

I really appreciate SR and all the hard work the admin/moderators do. Thank you all for being there. I have passed the information on to my friend and she is grateful!