Notices

Dealing with the wreckage

Old 03-15-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with the wreckage

Hey what's happening? I'm sober 46 days now and life isn't too bad. Things could be so much worse and I have to remember that. 46 days ago I made a terrible decision to score some coke. The day being my birthday rationalized that poor decision. To make a long story short, my wife took one look at me when she arrived home from work, and knew I was high. The next day I was told to leave. I left. To make matters worse, I was picked for a random drug test at work. Goodbye best job I ever had. The two most important things in my life slipped away. Fortunately I've asked my wife not to call an attorney just yet and she agreed. I also found another job in my field but half the pay and night shift. It looks like my HP is helping me right off the bat. Now I'm working the steps like there is no tomorrow. Meeting everday at noon. Calling other AA members. Service work too. I admit the pain is devastating at times looking back at what I caused. I'm paying the price. That's where I am today. Dealing with the wreckage. But with a sober mind and body. It could be worse. ....

Last edited by thelatheguy; 03-15-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi thelatheguy! Welcome to SR!
Lots of people picking up the pieces here, you are with a good group.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome thelatheguy

I'm sorry for what happened, but you're absolutely right - it could easily be worse.

I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you had to go through that thelatheguy, I'm glad you're using your experience to get better.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, congratulations on 46 days! I'm sorry about the events you described but it seems that you are now going in right direction. Best wishes to you.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you are here with us, and I commend you for your action.
Nothing can change the past, but working a program, and sincerely trying to change things now is everything.

Sending you love.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here - welcome.

We can deal with today and the wreckage of yesterday soberly, which allows us to not have to deal with wreckage of tomorrow.

Sobriety isn't a sprint, it's a marathon that's just for today. You can do this, many have.

keep coming back
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thelatheguy View Post

That's where I am today. Dealing with the wreckage. But with a sober mind and body. It could be worse. ....
With time spent away from the booze, drugs ect
we recovery from the wreckage of our past and daily
try not to add to the pot.

It's a good life for us -- clean and sober.

Congratulations on your sober days
Most if not all will get much better if you stay clean.
But, you know that
we need to fool ourselves no more.

M-Bob
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome TLG
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for all you went through, but glad you are putting things back together. Hopefully things will continue to fall into place for you.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you are beginning to work things out with your relationship and your job. And, showing gratitude, as you are, is very helpful.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello,

I am 26 days and also dealing with lots of wreckage. Family about to fall apart, no license, legal stuff. I know my only hope is staying sober and taking one day at a time. I am also going to AA daily and it has been very helpful. Lots of people who had dug themselves into a hole they eventually got out of. Stay strong and know you are not alone!!

Lilly
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, thelatheguy. It sure sounds like you're on the right path to me. Keep doing the next right thing and that wreckage will work itself out one way or another. Hope you'll become a regular participant here. The support to be found in these forums is a wonderful tool. Congrats on day 46 from a fellow Texan!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, and nice to cybermeet you. A lot of us here have a story like yours -- one night, one decision, suddenly blew the lid off the unsustainable life we'd been living for a long time.

It can be the best thing ever to happen to us if we make it the turning point. Keep on using these events to your advantage and you'll come out with a better marriage and a better job than you ever could have landed in your previous "high functioning substance user" life!!

So I'm not gonna say "Sorry this happened." I'm gonna say "Glad this happened and congratulations! Welcome to the rest of your life!"
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Hi, and nice to cybermeet you. A lot of us here have a story like yours -- one night, one decision, suddenly blew the lid off the unsustainable life we'd been living for a long time.

It can be the best thing ever to happen to us if we make it the turning point. Keep on using these events to your advantage and you'll come out with a better marriage and a better job than you ever could have landed in your previous "high functioning substance user" life!!

So I'm not gonna say "Sorry this happened." I'm gonna say "Glad this happened and congratulations! Welcome to the rest of your life!"

Thank you. It's really great to be here. Hopefully i can help someone else with my experience. !!!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Thelatheguy!!