Notices

OK, now

Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK, now

OK, this is sort of the fifth time I tried to do this today.

Not sure if this is the way to proceed.

My liver function tests are sort of spectacular, so they say. One year diagnosis of "acute alcoholic hepatitis." It's gotten way worse.

I can handle Detox, because I've handled just about everything else. I'm on BP meds anyway, and I know all about the shakes. And I have this totally stupid tolerance for the stuff. I don't understand it.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

Detox can be dangerous, especially if you have high blood pressure. Is there at least someone with you who can call an ambulance if necessary?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi! Welcome, (((( hug)))
Old 03-15-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and please be cautious because detoxing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Pelagic
Old 03-15-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. I've got good insurance but I struggle with the ramifications. An insurance "counselor" already called me, and I said everything was OK. You just know this stuff will follow you.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Pelagic263. Sounds like you are already seeking medical help, hope you keep that up as alcohol detox can be very serious business. Good news is that the liver has amazing healing capacities if we start treating it correctly.

Hope you'll become an active participant here. Building a support network in sobriety is a huge benefit. Wishing you the best...
Old 03-15-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Pelagic263

I had a very bad at home detox so I always recommend seeing a Dr.
Bad health can follow you around too.

D
Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome To SR!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks again.

Long sleepless night ahead but I'm used to it.

If it goes badly I'll see a doctor. No need to hide it, after all. They have the lab results anyway.

And I do believe they want to help.

And so do all of you. So thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Pelagic!!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Aside from BP and heartrate, and the shakes, day one hasn't been all bad, just mostly bad.

I'm on BP meds anyway, and I took an extra dose, and I've been monitoring it all day, but it's really taking its time to settle down. If it doesn't get better I'll go for a doctor.

I'm eating and it stays in so I'm loading up on extra vitamins and potassium (low sodium veggie juice).

It helps that I only had beer yesterday morning before screwing up my courage to commit to this. I was mostly into vodka lately.

I really want it this time, and I spent hours today reading SR threads. You all are a real inspiration.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and please be safe detoxing.
I had high blood pressure and wound up in hypertensive crisis... bleeding out of my nose, rectum, vagina etc. and wound up rushed to the ER.
Detox is no joke!
I really feel very strongly that with underlying health issues you should be monitored while you detox.

Hugs to you. This will get better!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I second seeing a doctor. Self prescribing bp meds is not the way to go.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pelagic,

I can't comment on alcohol detox except from what I hear, it is not pleasant and can be dangerous. It sounds like you are under a doctor's care or at least willing to consult if your monitoring shows deteriorating conditions.

What I can comment on is my hepatitis recovery.

Once upon a time (don't you love stories that start like that!) way back when I was a senior in high school. I contracted a huge case of hepatitis.

I drank some, but not much or often -- I got my case of hepatitis by eating at a snack bar in a nearby college town where my girlfriend was in school.

I was hospitalized for 31 days in isolation; my liver tests set records. I had a liver biopsy and the verdict was not encouraging - almost 60% of my liver was scarred just like I had been drinking non-stop for years. The good news is that one only needs about 33% of your liver functioning to live a relatively normal life - I had a 7% margin left at the ripe old age of 17!

I had a good doctor who prescribed appropriate drugs and gave good advice - the best advice as I trundled off to college in the fall was - "you know if you drink, you're probably going to die."

I ate right, got plenty of exercise, took the drugs religiously and did not drink.

Eighteen months later, I had another liver biopsy - the news was much much better, my liver only had 10% scar tissue and the other 90% was functioning normally. The human body is an amazing piece of equipment, just imagine if your car could fix itself!

In 20/20 hindsight, hepatitis was a blessing -- it gave me the perfect excuse not to join into the heavy drinking which was typical in college then and thereby established a pattern of behavior which has lasted me a lifetime.

So take heart, I am sure that there are even better medical treatments today than there were in 1971 when I had that first biopsy.

Hang in there, I am sure you can do it!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 2. This morning my pulse is back down (20-30 beats lower). BP still up but nothing I haven't seen 100 times. If ANYTHING changes I will go for a doctor.

I decided to wait till this morning because I've seen my share of lousy first days and yesterday wasn't the worst by any means.

What comes next I don't know. It's been years since I made it even this far.

Thanks to all who responded! It means a lot, and I will watch any symptoms closely.

No cravings yet, just stupid "automatic thoughts." I was making dinner last night and my wife said she was taking a short nap. My automatic thought: "Cool, I can make a quick trip to the liquor store and she won't know." I have a feeling I'll have to override about 100 of those thoughts a day for a while.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Posting about those thoughts in here when they happen is a good tool, Pelagic. Wishing you the best on day 2 and thanks for checking in.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pelagic,

This is day 6 or so...........how is it going physically and mentally?

Stay strong!

Jim
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Pelagic,

This is day 6 or so...........how is it going physically and mentally?

Stay strong!

Jim
Hi Jim,

I'm doing well, day 6. I'm in the March class, reading every post and posting myself. Fantastic people there!! What a great resource SR is.

Physically good. My brain is full of cotton, but that might be my natural state. The quivering muscles have nearly stopped. Some weird wandering abdominal pains but I go in for tests in a few weeks.

Mentally I can tell I'm in for some transformations. There will be stages, but as yet I don't know what they will be. I'll take them as they come.

Thanks again. THIS feels good,
M