On letting go!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On letting go!

I wanted to share this poem with you all, in the event you have never heard it. It was way back on 2003 that Gabe, a new member posted it, and I've never forgotten it. It may help you in "letting go!" Here it is:
God As I Understand Him
As children bring their broken toys, in tears for us to mend
I brought my broken dreams to God,
because he was my friend
And then, instead of leaving him
in peace to work alone
I hung around and tried to help
with ideas of my own.
At last I snatched them back and said,
"How can you be so slow?"
"My child,"He said,"what could I do? You never did let go!"

Is that not beautiful?? Think about it. I hung on and hung on for 35 years! When I finally "let go" my son got better. I finally decided that I just was not that powerful, so let go! Right after that, he put himself in a rehab, and he got better! Today he is clean and sober, fun to be with, and he thanks God every day for His help. Me he doesn't thank so much!" LOL
Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-14-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is beautiful...,thank you for the reminder that EVERYTHING is out of my hands.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful share, thank you.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is a wonderful reading, Dev, thanks for bringing it back.

I was a stubborn, heels dug in, hanger onner, determined to "make" my son get well. No matter how much energy I expended, it was all an illusion to think I had any control at all over another person or anything as powerful as addiction.

I love the expression "Let go or be dragged". I think I was dragged for a year or two before I finally just could not hang on one more day.

The day I let go and gave my son's care to God was the day I finally began to get well and could start taking care of me.

Hugs
Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ann

Amen to that!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ann

Sorry, honey, I sent the message without even sending hugs.

Yes, together we were a couple of "hanger-on's" for sure!! The things we did and tried, to no avail! Look how much we learned! I guess everything happens the way it's suppose to!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-15-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Every thing I ever let go had claw marks on it!!!!

Thanks Dev - always need this reminder!

PINK HUGS!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ms.Pink

Shoot, you should see my house!! Want to compare claw marks!! Good Lord, my house looks like a scratching post for the cats! It's ok, it's a great reminder!

Hugs, Dev
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by devastated View Post
I wanted to share this poem with you all, in the event you have never heard it. It was way back on 2003 that Gabe, a new member posted it, and I've never forgotten it. It may help you in "letting go!" Here it is:
God As I Understand Him
As children bring their broken toys, in tears for us to mend
I brought my broken dreams to God,
because he was my friend
And then, instead of leaving him
in peace to work alone
I hung around and tried to help
with ideas of my own.
At last I snatched them back and said,
"How can you be so slow?"
"My child,"He said,"what could I do? You never did let go!"

Is that not beautiful?? Think about it. I hung on and hung on for 35 years! When I finally "let go" my son got better. I finally decided that I just was not that powerful, so let go! Right after that, he put himself in a rehab, and he got better! Today he is clean and sober, fun to be with, and he thanks God every day for His help. Me he doesn't thank so much!" LOL
Hugs, Devastated
Absolutely beautiful! Made me cry.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting this. (It is great that you are back here sharing such good stuff!) Now I am going to share it with my NarAnon group.

Letting go...It is so true that we must, and yet so hard to do. I feel fortunate that when I did finally and truly let go, my daughter found her way to recovery and has stayed there.

My heart aches still, though, for those who let go and still lose their child. That part I am having trouble reconciling with God as I understand God. I find great strength in parents who have lost children and still work their program. It is truly a spiritual practice!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Garden Mama

I certainly can relate to what you said. Sometimes you finally learn to let go, but the addict doesn't learn. In which case I believe everything happens for a reason, and we are helpless, and not powerful enough to
change any outcome. It's totally in the hands of God!

What I have learned, though, is we cannot live in fear because that is not living.

We were amongst the lucky ones because your daughter and my son finally got it! It was only after I let go, as did you. He also found his way to rehab. This was the second attempt, but he made it. I thank the Lord every day. It's been 5 years now, and pray it continues.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I am desperately trying to find the path that will allow me to let go. I have embraced the idea but until now have not been totally able to do it 100%. I know I need to do this for myself and for my son. It's gone on too long and I've allowed myself to get dragged down. I see that with my anger...my actions...all of which are not me..
Old 03-18-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How do you let go? I've told my ah to leave, but he won't. Honestly I don't know that I want him to, this roller coaster ride just never stops. I feel like I'm going crazy. How did you all do it?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi confused you answered your own question. You honestly don't know you want him to go so he will stay and nothing will change. Take care.

Devastated, that was a lovely poem, thank you.