Notices

Anyone else eat their face off in early recovery?

Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else eat their face off in early recovery?

Sweet Mother of God...I can't stop eating.
I've put on 20 lbs in the past 6 months since I left treatment.
I'm not drinking or taking Xanax. I'm not getting laid. Really my only physical pleasure in life is food. I need to start eating healthy tomorrow. I think if I write down what I am eating I will be more aware.

I had a light lunch but had Mexican for dinner (chips and salsa and guac, then a chimichanga). I just ate a caramel. Right now I am going to continue spreading the peanut butter on these crackers and finish eating them. Then I think I will brush my teeth so I stop eating!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 03-13-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I've been doing the same. Luckily, I haven't gained any weight... Haven't lost any either though... I guess I had room to spare after giving up those 2,000+ nightly Budweiser calories... lol
Old 03-13-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel the same way...lately I've been wondering if my appetite has increased, or was I just drinking myself stupid to where I don't remember eating?!?!?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok, I haven't had that experience, except for really craving Pepsi in my first month, but that picture is cracking me up!! Thank you for that : )
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pretty soon my new nickname will be Buddha!
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, sure did! It was like the switch in my brain that told me I was full, broke! Lol! Nearly 19 mo's later, I'm still working on taking off the 40lbs I put on, but that's okay, at least I'm clean and happy!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I ate a lot at first. I think it was because I had not eaten right in so long, preferring to drink instead of eat. I gained a little weight but not too much. Worth it to be sober.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I may have just consumed the last third of a package of cookie dough ... While drinking a Diet Coke. 😂
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same problem here, and I've gained weight. I wish someone could come up with a solution for the insatiable sober appetite. I try to eat lots of carrots and apples between meals with lots of water.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi bunny
Not just at the start still at it 10 months down the line xx

Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes Bunny, I did the same.thing and gained weight. I'm off sugar now and it is helping because consuming sugar gave me ups and downs that contributed to my cravings, emotional swings and overeating.

Check out the Nutrition, health etc forum. Lots of good discussion there. Also you can see my thread about quitting sugar.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's under the special interest groups heading in forums and is Health. Exercise and Nutrition
Old 03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I do have quite an appetite, but I have been trying to figure out what my nutritional deficiencies are when I get hungry. When I get super hungry in the afternoon, I fire up the juicer and make a big jar of vegetable/apple juice. Generally once the vitamins from that start getting in to my system, my hunger goes away. If I am hungry, but I just ate, I drink a quart of water with lemon juice. That usually knocks out my hunger.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny, that pic cracks me up! Oh, I feel your pain/hunger. I've developed a new relationship with Ben and Jerry's. Never been much of an ice cream person before but holy moly. I was starving when I was in rehab, and while I'm not eating as much now, I can't stop with the sugar. Aaarrggghhhh. I guess it gets better?
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been eating like an absolute pig! At least I'm not drinking though, right?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ice cream is my friend, lol
Old 03-13-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I lost weight at first. Ex-beer drinker. Now I seem to be eating more and a lot of it is junk. Too many donuts.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LOL! Glad I am not alone! I will check out the nutrition threads! My sponsor is a health nut and she has suggested over and over again that I cut the sugar out of my diet...along with flour. I just might bite the bullet and do it!

Regarding rehab. One morning I woke up and rushed down to the cafeteria for our morning check in and people were staring at me. I had a huge red streak on my face and bits of twizzler in my hair! I had fallen asleep with a bag of twizzlers (I must have been mid-chew when I finally fell asleep) and it was July (hotter than hell) and they had melted all over my face and were stuck in my hair.

LOL.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

When my appetite came back fully I had to eat a lot as I was underweight x
Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

This sounds really dumb, but eating celery when you get hungry works great. It is a negative calorie food, it hydrates, it has electrolytes, it lowers blood pressure, and it only takes a few days for your body to get used to celery being what it gets when it has a snack craving. And I started swapping out red meat and pork for grilled fish two or three times a week at dinner. That cuts out about 350 calories a day when you choose your steaks from the butcher like I do. The hardest for me is that I tend to get involved in projects in the afternoon and put off eating lunch. Then when I am so hungry that I can't stand it, I am two minutes away from so many fast food joints that I usually cave at least once a week and eat garbage from the drive thru. Realistically, that is probably my allotted calories for the day in one greasy paper bag. I have decided that if I can go 30 days without caving for fast food, I can have it once a week as long as I don't go nuts and order the most fattening thing on the menu. And without fries or soda.