Notices

I am afraid about my future.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am afraid about my future.

On February 12, 2016 I was arrested for DUI. My life has been forever changed by the experience, an experience I do not even remember committing. Not that it serves as any excuse, for I accept responsibility for my actions. I thank God that I did not hurt anyone, myself, nor cause damage to anybody's property or mine.

I have been going to A.A. ever since I was released from jail 12 hours later. I was released on my own recognizance, and I have my court date on April 19th. I was beginning to accept everything that was going on and preparing myself for my day in court. Not that I was going to fight it, I am guilty and will spend the rest of my life making amends for this. I was finally starting to see this as a second chance in life. I was finally starting to have hope for my situation--until yesterday.

You see currently I have been working as a paid intern as a staff accountant. I was finally starting to get my career back on track. I was promised this internship would lead to something permanent if I worked hard and stayed committed to the job. Yesterday, however, I was pulled in by my teary-eyed supervisor who told me that all of us interns and temporary workers are to be laid off at the end of April, my last day will be the 27th. My world just fell apart. Not only am I going to be a criminal with this DUI in California, I am also going to be once again unemployed. I had already gone through two prior layoffs within the last two years, and I was not prepared for this one to happen to me.

Now I face the prospects of having to find a job with a criminal record soon to come. I am sure my arrest is already a part of my background, and come April 19th I will be convicted. I have a bachelors degree in accounting, I have worked many jobs in the finance and accounting field, and I was finally starting to get somewhere...but now this, all of this. I don't know what to do anymore. I am afraid this misdemeanor is going to make me unemployable, or that my only prospects will be low-level jobs that I worked so hard to move up from.

My drinking problems started back in September 2015 after having been laid off in June 2015, going through more than 10 interviews only to be rejected over and over again. I drank to cope, the wrong thing to do, but I had no one to talk to. I know it is stupid to use a depressant to deal with depression but stupid is as stupid does, and its what I did. I admit I am stupid. I also admit that I planned to put an end to my life, not only because of the job issues but everything else that had piled on over the years --I was finished with it all. When I got out of jail I made the choice that if I wasn't going to live for myself than I was going to live for my family and friends. I know ending my life would make them suffer the most, and that is just not fair to them.

I don't know if anyone has been through what I been through, but if you have it would help to hear your story and how you overcame this. I don't want this to be the end of my career, and I don't want this to be the end of my life. I guess one question I also have is while I know that this misdemeanor and arrest will come up in backgrounds, have you had difficulty in finding work because of it?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Lots of people here have had so many experiences with over drinking alcohol. It's going to be OK. Your life is different now, but it most certainly is not over!!! You have skills that are needed. You have a family who loves you. And now you have us at SR to talk to.

Have you stopped drinking yet? That's critical. You have a bit of time before layoff to look for another job. And that's much easier done sober. I am so sorry that you are in this situation, and convinced that you can indeed make a fresh start!
Old 03-12-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome soberaccountant

I have no DUI experience but I was not a driver. I almost certainly would have been 'booked' if I had been.

you'll find a lot of support here - and, without I hope appearing to downplay your understandable concerns, I hope you'll hear more than one story which will illustrate that a DUI can be the doorway to a new beginning rather than an end

I'm glad you've found us D
Old 03-12-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, Soberaccountant. Please try not to be so down on yourself. You are not stupid - none of us sets out to sabotage ourselves. I'm so glad you didn't give up on yourself & that you want to reclaim your life.

I got 2 DUI's. They were in the state of Delaware. For the first one, I was allowed to take the 'First Offense Election'. License was revoked for a year & I had to attend a course, plus pay a fine. I understand they now allow a first offender to drive after one month with an Ignition Interlock Device. Not sure how CA laws differ. (I had a job when I got my DUI & by law they couldn't fire me as long as I was seeking treatment.)

I'm really sorry you're going through this - but glad you found us and wanted to talk things over. Please keep posting and reading - we care about you.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Sober, it took me 5 DUI's to sober up. All is not lost. I wouldn't be too quick to throw myself on the"mercy" of the court. They are not really in that business and are not really set up to deal with addiction problems. You have a legal problem and an alcohol problem. Let a lawyer help you with the first. You maybe able to get a deffered adjudication or other ruling that will keep this off your record.

If you deal with the court without a lawyer or even with,then get a sign in sheet now and have it signed when you go to AA. Get a sponsor that is willing to speak with the judge on your behalf. You will be showing you are dealing with the problem. If is a 1st offence and judge might have mercy.

There is lot of help at AA and here. Use the fear and desperation is set up a good plan for your sobriety.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no DUI experience personally but I know a few people who went through this process. You are on the right track on staying sober. Yes you need to own your mistakes. Now I'm not sure on California if the first offence is a felony. In Wisconsin it is not. If it isn't a felony then I wouldn't worry too much. Just be honest with your potential employers. Most of the time you do have to list it on the application, but that doesn't bar you from accounting or finance jobs. If they ask about it just tell them what happened. Most people can look over past mistakes. Good luck and stay positive. Start getting your resume up to snuff, get references from your current job such as supervisors. Employers look into work ethic and attendance more then anything. Concentrate on your sobriety and start looking now. You need to stop future tripping it will drive you nuts. Stay strong
Old 03-12-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome! I'm sorry about the circumstances which brought you here, but I hopr that you will read around and post here. There is a lot of good inspiration and information.

I would advise that you keep a record of AA meetings you attend. The Secretary of the meeting will usually sign an attendance sheet. Also, be sure to get a lawyer for good legal advice.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, Soberaccountant. While this event is definitely a wake-up call, I think you are being too harsh on yourself. Even if it does hurt your job prospects, life is still worth living! I would strongly advise you get a lawyer that practices in this area in your locality. If you were blotto then there's a good chance you were pretty obviously drunk, but there's always a chance the police didn't have the proper justification to stop you. There may also be some program to defer prosecution if you agree to alcohol rehab. Employers in CA can't ask about arrests that don't result in convictions, so you definitely want to avoid the misdemeanor conviction if you can. I'm pretty sure a first time DUI without injury or hit and run is only a misdemeanor. Sorry about your predicament but this really can be the beginning of a better life. There will always be a large number of sober accountants needed!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Soberaccountant, take a deep breath, you are going to be ok. It may not seem like it at the moment. Many of us have had a personal/professional career path all mapped out, and then boom, alcohol interferes with the whole thing. The only thing I can advise is to stop drinking and move forward. From a legal standpoint, partner up with a lawyer, yes its expensive but it might be more expensive NOT to partner up with one. This is only my opinion, but one DUI rarely ruins a person's life. On the other hand, people that don't even own a vehicle have had their lives ruined by alcohol...no dui's.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I never got popped drinking and driving. Living in Las Vegas has advantages .

For first offenders there area ton of options. Invest in a good lawyer and I have heard of DUI.s being reduced to lesser offenses.

You are correct about hurting others if you commit suicide. It is not an option. There are things worse than dieing. Consider folks that got both arms and legs blown off by an IED. Etc etc. You have your health. You have a great mind.

Not everyone has the ability to be an account. I believe if you can be an accountant you can be just about anything.

Respect that you are an addict. Never drink again. Booze is poison. Don't let it hurt you again.

Stay clean.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If this is your first DUI...and your last...you can get it explunged after a certain period of time (search your state explungement rules). Also, if it is your first time..maybe the public defendant or attorney can ask the court to give you a deferred sentence which they have here in RI for drugs. It is a program where IF you stay out of trouble for 1 year...you will not be charged with the crime.

So, it would show for 1 year...but then you could get it explunged if you got in no further trouble. My son was put on a program like that and a DAY before it was to be over...he got arrested for something .....But, had he not...he would have a clean record.

Also, having a degree shows the court and any potential employee..you are a hard worker with goals....and this is a setback. Always be honest on your employment opportunities....a stupid mistake in your life...that you deeply regret.

Be grateful...you didn't get caught stealing or fraud....right? In your field a DUI is not going to affect your job directly. This is a bad time in your life...however, you are SO young and don't let this set back.....take away your feelings of success and all the hard work you have achieved...and just keep ACHIEVING and put this in your past! This too shall pass.

2 years from now this will be an old bad memory. You will struggle for a little bit....but I promise it will not last forever.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, soberaccountant. I'm a fellow accountant. I second the advice of others here to get some good legal advice and representation.

Your career prospects aren't ruined...there is a big demand for accountants, and with time you can sort these issues out. The most important thing now is to stay sober, and get some support and help with your depression. It may feel overwhelming right now, but these things are solvable with some time.

Stick around here -- there's lots of support and we've had similar struggles, so we understand.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I got my first (and last) DUI October 2, 2015. For a few months while I was going through the hoops with Court and stuff, I felt pretty bleak. It's inconvenient, expensive, embarrassing. But it's temporary and needs to be kept in perspective. It's a dark chapter, but it will pass as long as you make smart decisions. The only long-term consequence here should be a permanent move to sobriety. This is NOT a dark cloud that will hang over you forever...unless you want it to be!

First of all, how in the heck did a first offense DUI turn into a permanent criminal record? If you haven't already, get legal representation and make every effort to have the charge and/or the sentence reduced. A decent attorney will know how to minimize any long-term negative consequences.

Very sorry to hear of your layoff. Most people at some point lose a job they dearly love. It's a loss, so you'll naturally grieve it. And then you'll find something even better. That's how it goes.

Please don't take these two relatively minor problems (sorry if that's mean, but it's true) and indulge in thoughts about how they've ended your bright future. Adolescents think that way. Fortunately, you're an adult and can take a longer view of this. You're going through a dark chapter, but it's only a chapter, and it will hardly even be a blip on your radar in a year or two. I recommend practicing strong mental toughness and self-discipline. Reject self pity and other unhelpful thought patterns.

Keep in mind: Death is serious. Terminal illness is serious. Crippling accidents are serious. DUIs and layoffs kinda suck, but they're not tragic.

Be grateful for your sobriety, your health, and anything else in life that ain't currently broke. Family? Friends? A beloved pet? Your favorite restaurant? Etc. Remind yourself every day how good life is, and how lucky you are to be living it!

Use this chapter to get smarter, stronger, and build a better future than you ever could have if these things hadn't happened. Good luck!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A quick Google search showed in CA it's usually not felony until the 4th DUI That's just crazy! Coming from an alcoholic I personally think it should be a felony the 1st time around. I wouldn't worry to much about it effecting your career. I'm also in CA and every time I've filled out an application it's only been asked if you were convicted of a felony. I have had my driving record pulled before I got a company car though which of course a DUI would show up.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you should pay for a lawyer and get his advice and expertise. The main thing is to use this DUI as an opportunity to make a lasting change in your life. Have faith that you will be able to continue your career.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey there sober accountant

I live in Australia.

have had many duis at one pont being banned from holding a license in one state for 5 years.

yes it sux.....however you can come back from where you are and get the help you need here and through other resources.

am glad you are going to aa.....hope it helps.....

yes you are going through a hard time however you may be able to use the experience as a catalyst for last permanent change......

old alchemists used to turn lead into gold and recovery is a bit like that.......

vandermast
Old 03-12-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, soberaccountant! I expect that you will bounce back from this and find employment even with the DUI. Obviously it's not a good thing to drive drunk but it's not a deal breaker. If you don't have an attorney you should speak to one. Only one time in my long career as a drunk was I ever stopped for DUI. Since my record to that point had been clean I was able to plea bargain it down to reckless driving, so I never got a DUI on my record. It's worth looking into! You may well be able to avoid that full charge of DUI.

Don't waste this chance! It's a wakeup call, a chance to change your life for the better.

I'm glad you joined us here, soberaccountant!
Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I would suggest you get a good lawyer and also begin to take steps toward getting sober for good.

Lots of support and good advice here. Keep reading and posting.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dui in cali

I have been through the cali dui process and the emotional struggles that you are going through. Would like to chat though if feels like the world is ending there's always a way to bring it back.....
Originally Posted by soberaccountant View Post
On February 12, 2016 I was arrested for DUI. My life has been forever changed by the experience, an experience I do not even remember committing. Not that it serves as any excuse, for I accept responsibility for my actions. I thank God that I did not hurt anyone, myself, nor cause damage to anybody's property or mine.

I have been going to A.A. ever since I was released from jail 12 hours later. I was released on my own recognizance, and I have my court date on April 19th. I was beginning to accept everything that was going on and preparing myself for my day in court. Not that I was going to fight it, I am guilty and will spend the rest of my life making amends for this. I was finally starting to see this as a second chance in life. I was finally starting to have hope for my situation--until yesterday.

You see currently I have been working as a paid intern as a staff accountant. I was finally starting to get my career back on track. I was promised this internship would lead to something permanent if I worked hard and stayed committed to the job. Yesterday, however, I was pulled in by my teary-eyed supervisor who told me that all of us interns and temporary workers are to be laid off at the end of April, my last day will be the 27th. My world just fell apart. Not only am I going to be a criminal with this DUI in California, I am also going to be once again unemployed. I had already gone through two prior layoffs within the last two years, and I was not prepared for this one to happen to me.

Now I face the prospects of having to find a job with a criminal record soon to come. I am sure my arrest is already a part of my background, and come April 19th I will be convicted. I have a bachelors degree in accounting, I have worked many jobs in the finance and accounting field, and I was finally starting to get somewhere...but now this, all of this. I don't know what to do anymore. I am afraid this misdemeanor is going to make me unemployable, or that my only prospects will be low-level jobs that I worked so hard to move up from.

My drinking problems started back in September 2015 after having been laid off in June 2015, going through more than 10 interviews only to be rejected over and over again. I drank to cope, the wrong thing to do, but I had no one to talk to. I know it is stupid to use a depressant to deal with depression but stupid is as stupid does, and its what I did. I admit I am stupid. I also admit that I planned to put an end to my life, not only because of the job issues but everything else that had piled on over the years --I was finished with it all. When I got out of jail I made the choice that if I wasn't going to live for myself than I was going to live for my family and friends. I know ending my life would make them suffer the most, and that is just not fair to them.

I don't know if anyone has been through what I been through, but if you have it would help to hear your story and how you overcame this. I don't want this to be the end of my career, and I don't want this to be the end of my life. I guess one question I also have is while I know that this misdemeanor and arrest will come up in backgrounds, have you had difficulty in finding work because of it?
Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I learnt a great new word (on here) this weekend. 'Awfullising'. We do a lot of that, us alcoholics. We can pretty much spoil even the best moment by thinking how it'll end in disaster. So when we are faced with something that actually IS big and scary we can really run with it.

Like someone said - you have a legal problem and an alcohol problem right now. Get legal help with the first, and a sponsor to help with the second. I'm aware (vaguely) that there are different kinds of accountant, so forgive me if the next sentence seems a foolish suggestion, but would you be able to do freelance work / set up your own business perhaps?