I can't think of a title..

Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't think of a title..

So I haven't posted for sometime now. Things are a whole load better I haven't seen my ex for 6 months and haven't let contact with our child either due to the drinking. But I find this out today and I feel sick! His best drinking buddie had been up on a rape charge, also been accussed of interfering with children but not enough evidence. I don't even want to think why he hangs out with him....but I needed to tell someone.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh mate that's terrible. Poor woman, poor children. I wouldn't let the kids near him unsupervised. I ask the same question - why is this bloke his best buddy?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Steely, that's terrible. I also agree that I wouldn't let the kids near him unsupervised. It's a good thing you haven't let your ex have contact with your child in six months.

However sick and twisted this all is, it's good that you know that man has faced a rape charge and has been accused of interfering with children. Now, if you ex is ever allowed to be in contact with you kids again, you'll know about his best drinking buddy and will be able to take the appropriate actions so that your kid is never in contact with that man.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds to me like you and your children are well out of it Dodge.

D
Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't think anything would shock me anymore when it comes to the ex and his antics. He won't be near my children again. But that is the question that's running round my head, as he's known for a long while about this mans past....why carry on drinking with him.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dodge31 View Post
But that is the question that's running round my head, as he's known for a long while about this mans past....why carry on drinking with him.
Dodge, I would say he keeps on drinking with him because he's someone to drink with...

From all the stories I've read here and what I've experienced in the past year, Alcoholics are not know for their sound and logical reasoning!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dunno Kata it doesn't sit right with me, I know their a pretty low on their moral standards, when wanting someone to drink with. But beings as it's his friend of a long time I question it...
Old 03-12-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dodge, what is it exactly that you question? That by by still associating with his him while knowing that, he may share the same tendencies (or sick, sick ways) of his buddy?

If that is what you are questionning, then I suggest you listen to your gut feeling. If there is even the glimmer of a doubt for the safety of your child in that regard, I suggest you promptly contact a lawyer and see what can be done about it.

I don't know where you are from, but I know that here in Québec (Canada) my ex SIL asked the Courts to order and psych eval for her ex in regards to his sexual tendencies/perversions... The Court decided that for the safety of the children, he was only allowed supervised visits and that he was never to be left alone, not even for 5 minutes, with the children.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is what I question, I'm in England but I will be seeking advice on it Monday morning.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dodge,

I'm really sorry this is happening. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They didn't meet through drinking they spent rather a while together sharing a cell in jail.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just sending hugs. The longer they drink, the lower their morals seem to go. And anyone can be a drinking buddy when that's all there is in common.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd be listening to my gut too Dodge. He knows the charges his 'buddy' is facing and that in itself sends up red flags for me. Glad you are getting advice on Monday.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your post reminded me so strongly of a guy named Jimmy Lerner and his book, "You Got Nothing Coming: Notes From a Prison Fish." It's biographical; he ended up in jail after killing a guy. As you read, you find out that the writer is an alcoholic who has dabbled in recovery but only dabbled. His wife has just divorced him b/c of his alcoholism and he is on his own. He meets a new neighbor who is NUTS, severe mood swings, makes sexual comments about young girls, etc. He hangs out w/this guy on and off, knowing full well that he is serious bad news. Things culminate in a trip to Vegas where the neighbor goes off the deep end and starts making threats against the writer's children. So the writer kills him, breaking his neck w/a belt. And goes to jail. And writes about the whole thing as if well, what could he have done different? After all, the guy threatened his daughters; of course he had to kill him. It doesn't seem to occur to him that he should never have been there w/Mr. Crazy Guy in the first place--if he'd used an ounce of judgment, he wouldn't have been there.

I found myself repeatedly asking the same question you ask here: Why on earth wouldn't the writer just stop hanging w/this guy once it was clear he was violent and disturbed? But he doesn't stop, and even when he's been convicted and jailed, he seems to not get that he could have prevented all this. I thought the whole book had a tone to it that I think any of us who've lived w/A's would find very familiar.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think I will probably give that book a look tonight if I can find it. I guess it's a case of being so far down the rabbit hole he doesn't think with any logic or reason....maybe? I'm just lost with this one.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My local library had the book, Dodge, so you might look at yours and save yourself some $$. There is likely an online catalog you can check to see if they do have it.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

May try and get down there tomorrow, as they don't have it on my app store.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

they spent rather a while together sharing a cell in jail.

and had lots and lots of time to TALK...........

this whole thing totally creeps me out. i hope you and your precious child never EVER have contact with the EX again. i believe you DODGED a bullet.........
Old 03-13-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My thoughts ^^
Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My thoughts too ^^^. You can read as many books as you like but when it comes to the cubs the lioness steps in. LOL. It doesn't sit well with me Dodge.