Notices

Day 15 blues

Old 03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 blues

Hey everyone!

With the assistance of some doctors, I have been able to get a very firm grasp of my drinking. I haven't drank in 15 days...which is the longest I've gone since 2011. My body is feeling better each day. I have moments where my mood is 5 million times brighter than its been in years. But every once in a while I get huge drops in mood. Like down to my core I feel a dark depression like sensation. It's like butterflies without the reason. It's like moments of just pure sadness, sometimes followed by a mood lift, sometimes not,

I hope this isn't too confusing to read. I just need help on why I'm getting these huge moments of sadness/guilt when physically and partially mentally, I am feeling more proud of the 2 week accomplishment and feel very optimistic about my future.

Never in a million years did I think I'd feel this kind of emotional response after doing something so good for the body
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scared, great that you've been sober for 15 days! I think most of us hope that things will clear up very quickly after we stop drinking. Many of us find that although things generally improve, there are continuing changes, especially big ones during the first year. Emotional changes and roller coasters are not uncommon.

There is info about PAWS (post-acute withdrawal symptoms) that can last that long. Hopefully someone will come along and include a link.

Meanwhile, try to think of the good things and if the downs are really bad, you may want to get some help from your docs to get through this early time.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree; keep working with your docs. And it is great to see you posting on here!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi scared

congrats on day 15.

I think the mood swings are usually due to our mind and bodies repairing and readjusting to sobriety.

They're certainly very common. I know it makes things harder to deal with but please stick with it - it won't always be this hard

D
Old 03-12-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scared1234- Great job on 15 days. Without boring you with neurophysiology, your brain is sorting things out. It will get better soon. I am sure one of the veterans on SR can give you more insight(Oops told you so) . Either way, it will get better soon.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too scared.

Been sober for over 80 days and am still lapsing into those deep low moods. Seems I can go from ecstasy to despair in the blink of an eye and like you disappointed that I am feeling this way after making such positive life change.

Have decided to ride it out and feel the feelings which in my case have been buried for a long time, and which I used alcohol to suppress.

In lots of ways I don't care about my moods now (don't enjoy them) because I know they are real and I am learning.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went through and am going through the same thing. All the feelings we didn't feel when drinking or hung over surface. It is a normal part of recovery. I have been blunting my emotions. I was in rehab this summer and would just start crying from days 14-21 and then sporadically after. You are doing great! Keep with it. This too shall pass and we will learn to deal with life's ups and downs and all the pent up feelings again. Just don't drink!!!

Lilly
Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So proud of you for fifteen days. The longest I have ever been totally clean of alcohol since I started abusing is one month. Everything you mentioned sounds pretty normal. Getting sober for even the month made me see how clearly I drink to cope with my depression. But I have heard from others that depression in the few weeks even a month in is normal. Please don't give up on trying. Even if you make mistakes. We are always here for you ❤️
Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are on the money scared. I'm going to look up up that PAWS link. Promise, I will not drink. Too easy.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on 15 days. That's not easy. I had pretty severe mood swings for around a month or so. They continued after that for a while, but were not as bad. It seemed during that first month I hated everybody and everything. Little things would drive me nuts. Every little thing was a big deal. I did have short periods of feeling pretty good, but for the most part I felt terrible. It took a while and a lot of persistence, but things did get a lot better. Nowadays, it takes a lot to get me real upset, but even then, it doesn't last long. Hang in there, and you will start to feel much better. John
Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be rough with mood swings and depression. It does get better, give yourself more sober time.