Notices

struggling today

Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling today

Day 5 today and struggling. Always used to get drunk on a Saturday plus England v wales on tv. However as tempting as a cold pint of cider would be the reality is in the end I was getting drunk at least 6 days a week and don't want that again
Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I make my self remember in as great detail as possible, what happens when I give in to that urge. Is it really just one drink? What happens next? How do I feel the next day? Now after I remember all that, it's not so hard to decide that's not what I want.

I'd also indulge in something else for the first while; when I got cravings I'd have a bowl of ice cream or some other treat. After a few months when the worst of the cravings were over and I felt stronger, I was able to give that up, too. Changing my routine as well as getting face-to-face support also helped me.

Sometimes I just had to ride out the frustration of a craving until it passed. Doing that often enough makes them weaker and less frequent.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have a replacement drink that you would enjoy (selzter, tea, soda) while watching the game?

If you are really struggling, is there something else you can do for awhile until the craving passes (go for a walk)?

I also agree with Madbird in terms of playing the tape through and what happens if you give in.

One of the things that helps if I am struggling, is listing why I like being sober.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The longer you stay sober, the weaker the cravings become.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Check the craving & urgesurfing links in this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think part of the reason is I don't yet trust myself to go into a bar and just drink lemonade, I want to challenge that but worry temptation will be to great.
The fact I'm on day 5 and feel as I do proves to me I certainly had serious issues with alcohol.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Definitely a wise move choosing to step bk & evaluate testing sobriety at day 5 is way to risky due to how high the temptation is I couldnt be anywhere near alcohol at day 5 so don't feel alone in that building sober muscles reading books on recovery really helped me there is a link to excellent recovery material in this link I'm providing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-12-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

# 9 (permalink)  

Stick close & keep talking. The cravings will subside - just ride it out with us. Think of how proud (& hangover free) you'll feel tomorrow.
  # 10 (permalink)  

i dont trust myself

I am 10 months spber & still dont trust myself to go to a pub. E1 who doesnt know about my addiction will be buying me drinks because i hav'nt been in for so long.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In detox we watched a documentary about a well known newsreader in the 80s. Forgot his name but it really hit home and made me mpre determined. Stay strong xx
Old 03-12-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

It's wise to be in tune with your feeling that you don't want to challenge your sobriety at the pub. To me it says you want to be sober more than you want to drink. That's a great place to be....stay close to SR- you can do this!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Hang in there.

Easier said than done; but SO true. Do whatever it takes to hang in there...

Because, the results are AMAZING. We realize a new freedom and a new happiness...

THose cravings WILL subside and it WILL get better. THe thing is...

Our head and our body are used to drinking, they just need time to adjust, and before you know; they'll be done nd you'll have discovered a new lifestyle that is better than you could have imagined and does not include alcohol.

Hang In There. If I did it anyone can!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - got over today's wobble by going for a drive and getting a take away. Unfortunately my wife and kids have no idea what I'm going through. My wife's not as supportive as she doesn't drink so doesn't really understand.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We understand. Come here whenever you need to.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it makes sense to listen to your instincts. If they are telling you that being in a bar is bad news, stay out. I lost the desire to hang out in the bar after about a year sober...it just isn't logical. There is so much more to life then what is going on in there.........

Stay strong!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through today jtmlk - like least says we get it ...there's always support and understanding here

D
Old 03-12-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been struggling today too. Home with one kid while my husband is at sports with the other too. Stayed strong though and will be proud in the morning. One hous at a time, cravings eventually pass over like S wave. Also each time we resist we build sober muscles for future temptation. Stay strong!!

Lilly
Old 03-12-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lilly- you are so right - if we stay strong we feel proud of ourselves the next day. It also gives us self respect, belief and allows ourselves just to like us for being us a teeny bit more.