Notices

Sobriety Tattoo

Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Sobriety Tattoo

Ok. So my 11 year old daughter came in the other day and asks, "hey daddy, do you think you will ever get a anniversary tattoo for not drinking? You know, like 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?"

My immediate answer was no. I told her that I would never want to get a tattoo of something that I am not sure certain is forever. I have tattoos of my kids names becasue no matter what, they will always be my kids. My wife doesn't even want me to get a tattoo of her name becasue she thinks it is a jinx.

I told her that while I have absolutely no intention of ever drinking again, I am a human being. People screw up. It's just a fact of life. I would hate to have a 1 year sober tattoo and at some point, some random day, mess up and drink and then that tattoo is totally meaningless. Do you guys think that was a proper way of thinking?

I talked to my wife about it later in the night and started to think a bit differently. If and when I go 1 year without drinking, that will never change. I still did something that is very difficult, takes a ton of hard work and discipline, and some people even think it is impossible. If I messed up down the road, nothing would ever be able to take away the fact that I hit that milestone. Now, with that being said, if I did mess up, let's say for arguments sake at 18 months, I obviously would need to start over before getting a 2 year tattoo. Does it make sense to want to always remember an achievement like this in permanent ink? I think it would be a great conversation starter and possibly even get someone to seek help/advice from me if they knew I had been able to do it.

I found out from my wife that this all stemmed from a dear friend of ours who is about to celebrate 10 years sober and is considering getting a tattoo to for it. I am not really sure how to think about this.

Just curious what your thoughts would be.

Be blessed!

Chris
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

There's a sober clerk in the liquor store I used to frequent, and he has a beautifully-done tattoo on his inner forearm reading "Sobrieta." So, it's not a statement of sober time, but more a concept, a belief, a priority, a value.

When you put something on your body, it's like saying "This is me. This is who I am and what I'm about." So, I see no reason not to mark yourself with a symbol of sobriety.

Instead of an "X years" tattoo, how about a more general sobriety tattoo? See, if you get X years, in a few more years that tattoo will be out of date, LOL!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not make up a symbol that means "Sobriety" to you and have that one tatted?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I just googled "sober tattoo" and there are some pretty good ones. There are quotes, pictures, and a lot that is more a general idea or message. That seems like a better idea. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Could get a sobriety bracelet or necklace ?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Could get a sobriety bracelet or necklace ?
I have those. I was thinking of the permanence of a tattoo more. I believe I am going to do something when I hit a year.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

S
BR
T
Y

In a cool style with some graphics around it. My example is crap, but it's the idea. A good design would never make it so people see that it means sobriety.

But ideas and design regarding this are not my thing. I can't even draw a straight line.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had the same conversation with myself.

I agree nothing can take away your year sober. I'm coming up on a year and although rough it has been an amazing journey of the most personal growth I have had in the last 15 years. If I ever did relapse it would be a great ongoing reminder of what life can be like.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I shared this yesterday. Isn't specifically a sobriety tattoo but one that gives me strength as I carry on in this and other fights.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5839662
Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

We alcoholics are so good at creating guilt and beating ourselves up over our mistakes, I can't help but wonder how much anguish a sobriety tattoo would cause someone who's returned to drinking.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I have a tattoo of a Chinese Foo Dog on my left forearm. The Foo Dog is traditionally used to ward off evil spirits. His head is facing my left hand, where I would hold my drinks. So it's a little bit of a pun about "spirits."
Old 03-09-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tattoo or not, you are leaving yourself open to drinking again by using "if" and other indicators you don't think you will be able to maintain sobriety...

that alone is cause for concern...

I don't need a tattoo or a chain or a t-shirt, I know who I am and who I am not. I am a non-drinker and always will be. I have no inclination to worry that I might drink someday. It's not even in my realm of my thinking.

Adopt that philosophy, then get the tattoo if you wish...
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
tattoo or not, you are leaving yourself open to drinking again by using "if" and other indicators you don't think you will be able to maintain sobriety...
EXACTLY!! I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to say it. Not sure why. Something I need to resolve for myself.

But the above comment is exactly on point.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think things like tattoos can wait. It's not even what I see as the main issue here

It took me a little while to be sure that I was made of the right stuff so that my recovery would be forever.

My inner addict had belittled me & made me doubt myself for so long, it took a little while for me to see that my success rested entirely on me and the effort I put in.

Relapse is a part of my addiction not my recovery.
I've worked hard to stay in recovery

Sure we're all human, but please don't use that as an excuse - not even theoretically or pre-emptively...humans do amazing things

You need never drink again if you don't want to

D
Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Oh, dear. I knew that somehow, the cheerful subject of getting a tattoo would not remain a cheerful subject.

C23, I believe a tattoo is a lovely way to commemorate something important. Many people do it. If it feels right, I think you should go for it. You'll have a lot of fun designing and planning it.

I disagree that anything in your original post suggests your sobriety is in jeopardy. Congratulations in advance on your anniversary and have fun planning how you will commemorate it -- tattoo, European cruise, or whatever.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Oh, dear. I knew that somehow, the cheerful subject of getting a tattoo would not remain a cheerful subject.

C23, I believe a tattoo is a lovely way to commemorate something important. Many people do it. If it feels right, I think you should go for it. You'll have a lot of fun designing and planning it.

I disagree that anything in your original post suggests your sobriety is in jeopardy. Congratulations in advance on your anniversary and have fun planning how you will commemorate it -- tattoo, European cruise, or whatever.
Hey SiS

When I hear someone suggesting they feel their recovery may not be forever I feel compelled to reassure and share my experience that it can be.

I can't really think of a message more positive cheerful and life-affirming than that?

D
Old 03-09-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

Right around a year after my last drink, I got my first (and so far only) tattoo. I had been toying with the idea of a tattoo for awhile , but given the permanence I wanted something with meaning , and staying power so to speak.
I made an ambigram (spcript that reads the same front to back and back to front) of the word "sufficit" ( the Latin root for enough or so I hope)repeated four times in a ring.
For me it stands for the fact that I've had enough
That family and loved ones are more than enough to find and share happiness
Giving one's honest best can and should be enough
And at times even if you feel you've given enough, make sure
Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post

Thanks!!!

That got intense real quick...ha!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Btw, good to see you posting Dee. Your comments are always perfectly written, very helpful and very insightful.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I wear a ring with a circle enclosing a triangle which is AA's symbol. I got it as a present to myself at 2 years sober. I like it because it means something to me