Notices

Filling the void

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Filling the void

I hesitated on starting a thread about this, but I suppose if it helps someone, then it's a good thing.

I have done well abstaining from alcohol for the last 8 months. I did get drunk one time. The weekends were my time to drink and for most of the last 8 months there was a void on the weekends. I didn't feel the urge to drink, but there was an empty space. I guess the main thing I felt was boredom.

Now, in the last 3 weeks I feel like I've turned a corner of sorts. I am not bored, that void is disappearing. I'm finding myself doing things and not thinking about "not drinking". I'm just doing everyday stuff. It is very freeing. I can do what I want, drive when and where I want, do things I wouldn't normally do. I could have done them before, but I didn't because I was in that void. Now I WANT to do different things. I have a desire to do more than stay at home and do nothing, and even if I am at home, I keep myself busy...naturally/not forced. It's pretty new to me, but for anyone who is new to this site, I could be a case study on how not drinking slowly becomes the new normal. Its pretty cool.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So very true! Friday nights used to make be really squirrely and over time....not so much. Sober is better....much better.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I never had much success with filling the void Jeff, but a lot of success in healing it, if you can see the difference

I drank because I felt my life, or myself, lacked things - if you (meaning anyone reading) can get a handle on what those things might be, I reckon you're more than half way home

D
Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah I never had much success with filling the void Jeff, but a lot of success in healing it, if you can see the difference

I drank because I felt my life, or myself, lacked things - if you (meaning anyone reading) can get a handle on what those things might be, I reckon you're more than half way home

D
Not sure I follow on the difference between filling a void and healing it? Obviously there is a difference because you pointed it out?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very encouraging, Thomas! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that, Thomas! Very encouraging
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Not sure I follow on the difference between filling a void and healing it? Obviously there is a difference because you pointed it out?
I had a void in me -a sense of something lacking that I tried to fill with things, and stuff.

Nothing ever worked because the void was bottomless.

When I concentrated instead on what was lacking in me - like all my insecurities and my self esteem issues, my need for approval and validation from others and my fears of being a fraud and less than others, lonely unwanted and unloveable...etc etc

when I worked on that stuff, I began to heal the void.

Some counselling helped but most of it was just time and effort into trying to be the guy I wanted to be

D
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had a void in me -a sense of something lacking that I tried to fill with things, and stuff.

Nothing ever worked because the void was bottomless.

When I concentrated instead on what was lacking in me - like all my insecurities and my self esteem issues, my need for approval and validation from others and my fears of being a fraud and less than others, lonely unwanted and unloveable...etc etc

when I worked on that stuff, I began to heal the void.

Some counselling helped but most of it was just time and effort into trying to be the guy I wanted to be

D
ok, got it. I see what you mean now.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great to hear. Your enthusiasm is evident, and now you have something that you want to keep experiencing to spur you on. I can't wait until I can post something like that. Well done.