Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

72 days. Lots of improvement but feeling a little flat these days

Notices

Old 03-08-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone-

I'm 72 days clean sober, and I've definitely made some significant progress in many areas of my life. I'm grateful for the blessings I have received and continue to receive, and I remind myself every day of what I have to be thankful for. One thing that's been bothering me recently, however, is a recent spell of feeling just kind of . . . blah. Emotionally flat, tired, unmotivated, and kinda stupid.

At work today, during a meeting, my boss asked me if I was ok. Apparently it's written on my face and in my tone. I know early sobriety can be an emotional roller coaster ride, so this isn't entirely a surprise, but I was curious if anyone has had experience with this and what were some of the ways you coped/managed/overcame/etc.?

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hey R&H. Yep, I know that exact feeling. Had something similar around day 45 ish, and now at day 68 things are lifting again. I guess the buzz wears off a bit and we should expect peaks & troughs. One way I've been able to counter it is to put my new found clear headedness to good use by tackling stuff that's been on my todo list forever. You got anything like that you can try?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Ps... Should have put this first... Congrats on 72 days! Awesome effort!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mav View Post
Hey R&H. Yep, I know that exact feeling. Had something similar around day 45 ish, and now at day 68 things are lifting again. I guess the buzz wears off a bit and we should expect peaks & troughs. One way I've been able to counter it is to put my new found clear headedness to good use by tackling stuff that's been on my todo list forever. You got anything like that you can try?
It does seem to go up and down, huh? Unfortunately most of my "to do" items involve my brain, which seems reluctant to work :-) There are some little things, however, like getting back to the gym!
Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by RattleAndHum View Post
It does seem to go up and down, huh? Unfortunately most of my "to do" items involve my brain, which seems reluctant to work :-) There are some little things, however, like getting back to the gym!
Definitely worth a shot. My thinking is that anything that helps differentiate new sober life from old life will highlight the benefits in a long term way that the short term highs can't. It'll smooth it out over a long period.

But keep on with it. You're 4 days ahead of me and a lot of the wise folks around here say it keeps getting better...
Old 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

For a while there I thought blah would be the prioce I poad for being sober....but things got a lot better after I hit 90 days.

Don't get discouraged R&H

D
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee! I'm hoping for less blah in good time, though blah is better than the alternative!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you R&H. I am at almost a month sober and early afternoon i start feeling fuzzy in the head and a little tired. I hope Dee's "90 days you will feel a lot better" is the same for me. But believe me i am not complaining. Overall I feel much better and waking up refreshed is the best.....