Notices

Very Conflicted

Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Conflicted

Hi all,

I've been working a new job for a few weeks now that is very physical and from almost day one an issue with lower back pain has flared up big time.

Last week I saw my gp who prescribed a quite strong codeine painkiller. I have been taking it exactly as prescribed, but the issue is I don't feel I'm in recovery. In fact at work pain isn't an issue at all. I am flying. I smash my work, feel great and frankly enjoy the effect of the opiate way too much.

I am newly sober and "clean" so I know this isn't a great move but it does help me get thru my shifts and bring home a very decent income.

I stress I'm taking these things as prescribed but I'm enjoying it too much. I look forward to taking my dose and fly through the day. I tell myself that not abusing these things makes it ok, even tho it's really tempting to take more at times.

Am I clean? Or have I just found a way to get high that I can cheat my recovery?

Thanks for any input..
Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good that you're recognizing this early on so that you can stay on track with what's prescribed and hopefully be prepared for when the prescription is done...perhaps (if you haven't already) you could express this concern w/ your doctor (?) Best of luck and thanks 4 sharing
Old 03-08-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't see it if your Dr prescribed it and your not abusing it ?

Maybe you could raise your concern with your Dr on your next apt
Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Two things: the first is intent. Am I taking the pain reliever for actual pain, or something else? the second is whether I was honest with my doctor. Many pain relievers are addictive and not appropriate for alcoholics. It is my responsibility to be honest with my doctor to protect my sobriety.

I would be highly worried if I am enjoying the effect (especially, too much), and I would talk to my doctor about a safer alternative.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Forte View Post
...it's really tempting to take more at times.
'Nuff said.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm not at all a purist... I think using drugs and medications as prescribed is totally fine.

BUT, you feel you're enjoying it "too much". I think that's all you need to know? I would seriously reconsider. Not out of some kind of abstract idea of what makes for good sobriety. But out of a very real concern of getting hooked. Going through withdrawal and recovery from painkillers is really, really hard. I've never done it and never want to.

It already sounds like you're getting some of the addictive thinking (looking forward to using, worrying over whether your use is appropriate, etc) and that it could easily progress to thinking about it even when not at work.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It may be tempting to take more, but don't do it. I am prescribed oxycodone and from day 1 I've always taken less than I was prescribed. It would have been very easy for me to take more than prescribed to "get high", but I haven't. I am now in the process of tapering and have not experienced anything serious regarding withdrawal symptoms.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Forte View Post
.... frankly enjoy the effect of the opiate way too much.......... but I'm enjoying it too much. I look forward to taking my dose and fly through the day. I tell myself that not abusing these things makes it ok, even tho it's really tempting to take more at times.

Am I clean? Or have I just found a way to get high that I can cheat my recovery?

Thanks for any input..
You tell me.....
Old 03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Talk with your doctor. In fact, print out your original post and take it to him/her to see what they think.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I take codeine sometimes when pain gets too much - I've never taken more than the recommended dose - and thankfully it's never made me feel high or made me feel like I want to take more.

If it did...I'd be *straight* down to my Dr. looking for alternatives

That was the agreement I made with my Dr (and myself) when I started taking them.

D
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Are you overly worried by chance? It's only natural for us to be hypervigilant after all we've been through!!! But if you REAAAALLLY think there's a problem with this med, tell your doctor.

Of course you know painkillers are for symptoms, and they don't solve underlying problems. I trust you're doing the right things to address the root cause of your back pain.

Codeine produces a euphoric feeling in most people, not just addicts. That's how it works as a painkiller.

I wouldn't be too alarmed if you enjoy the feeling. Just don't use it recreationally, don't seek more of it, and keep looking for a lasting solution to your back problem. I briefly used a prescription painkiller since becoming sober, and I enjoyed the feeling, and it did not re-activate addiction for me.

Hope you get lasting and consistent relief soon! Back pain is real torture, I know!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a possibility that your body will develop a tolerance to the medication and it will still be an effective painkiller, you may not experience the good feeling its currently giving you. That is when the discipline comes in. That's been my experience anyway. For the first few weeks when I took my dose, I did feel pretty good. I don't feel anything now.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If it were me I would consider taking half a tab. If you're feeling anything more than pain relief, it's not entirely being used up by your pain receptors. Leftovers go to the pleasure receptors.

Holly.🎋
Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Of course you know painkillers are for symptoms, and they don't solve underlying problems. I trust you're doing the right things to address the root cause of your back pain.
^^^^this
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder guys that dosage advice/treatment advice is medical advice by our rules.

Please share your experience - not medical advice.

Thanks

Dee
SR