Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newbie here. Questions on recovery and health issues caused by alcoholism.

Notices

Old 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I just joined this site a few minutes ago. I accidentally posted in the wrong thread so hopefully this works out better.

I've been on and off trying to become sober from alcohol ever since 2016 started. I took my biggest break in a long time (3 weeks straight) but relapsed again as of this last Friday. I went on a huge day/night drinking binge up until Sunday night. I woke up today immediately vomiting, broke out into hives, rapid/irregular heart beat, etc.
My hangovers have been like this for a while now and I have gone into the ER multiple times for it because I always think I'm dying.

I went into the ER this morning for it and they gave me an IV of fluids, zofran fro the vomiting, and benadryl for the hives. It's been 10 hours now since I've been out but I'm still having rapid heart beat and lot of chest pain. It's really scaring me and I can't decide if I should just try to ignore it or go in again. Has anyone else experienced this from alcohol in the past?

I'm really hoping I can stop for good this time. Thanks for listening.

EDIT: I am a 22 year old women and I have been struggling with alcohol since I was 16 years old.

Last edited by WildYouth; 03-07-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Just wanted to add in my age and gender.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal is potentially fatal. Not the kind of thing to try at home
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WildYouth View Post
Hi guys. I just joined this site a few minutes ago. I accidentally posted in the wrong thread so hopefully this works out better.

I've been on and off trying to become sober from alcohol ever since 2016 started. I took my biggest break in a long time (3 weeks straight) but relapsed again as of this last Friday. I went on a huge day/night drinking binge up until Sunday night. I woke up today immediately vomiting, broke out into hives, rapid/irregular heart beat, etc.
My hangovers have been like this for a while now and I have gone into the ER multiple times for it because I always think I'm dying.

I went into the ER this morning for it and they gave me an IV of fluids, zofran fro the vomiting, and benadryl for the hives. It's been 10 hours now since I've been out but I'm still having rapid heart beat and lot of chest pain. It's really scaring me and I can't decide if I should just try to ignore it or go in again. Has anyone else experienced this from alcohol in the past?

I'm really hoping I can stop for good this time. Thanks for listening.

EDIT: I am a 22 year old women and I have been struggling with alcohol since I was 16 years old.
Don't ignore this, rapid heart rate, chest pain and such sounds serious.

I would see a doctor of some kind as soon as possible.

When you were at the hospital did they properly check vitals and such? What did they say?

Or did they just give you a bunch of pills and "spit you out" without thoroughly testing etc?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I responded in your other thread...you need to call or better, go back to the ER if someone can drive you. If you're alone, call 911.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would suggest that you go to back to the ER, explain your symptoms ad your complete history with alcohol abuse.

Withdrawals are nothing to take lightly and can be very, very serious.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, WildYouth. I have to agree with the others - your symptoms are alarming.

I hope you'll stay with us as part of your recovery journey. It's great you're doing this at 22. If I had, my whole life would've been different. There's plenty of support & friendship here. You're not alone.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Don't ignore this, rapid heart rate, chest pain and such sounds serious.

I would see a doctor of some kind as soon as possible.

When you were at the hospital did they properly check vitals and such? What did they say?

Or did they just give you a bunch of pills and "spit you out" without thoroughly testing etc?
I mean they checked my vitals. I asked if I was going to be okay with my heart acting up like this and the doctor told yes and that is was normal for my heart to be like that after drinking so heavily. But yeah they basically did just spit me out. Really not wanting to go back in
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I responded in your other thread...you need to call or better, go back to the ER if someone can drive you. If you're alone, call 911.
I am alone. The hospital is just up the street from me so I might just drive.. kind of nervous about trying to get back though if they have to give me something. Really can't afford going to the ER so much plus getting an ambulance. I just keep hoping my heart rate will calm down the more I drink water.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Another thing is I just can't tell if this is just a panic attack (I suffer from anxiety disorder) or just dehydration or if its really bad? Ugh.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another thing is I just can't tell if this is just a panic attack (I suffer from anxiety disorder) or just dehydration or if its really bad? Ugh.
If you recently quit alcohol my best guess is it's related to the withdrawal side effects. I've experienced bouts of anxiety throughout my life, and i notice the heart rate/pressure always goes back down shortly after the anxiety-inducing event or scenario is over.

Speaking personally, while i was drinking i was fine..... no signs of "trouble". Heart rate normal, BP normal, went to sleep around same time, woke up at the same time, etc.

But within 48 hours of quitting?? All hell broke loose, my heart was pounding so hard, and BP was way up, it felt very scary.

In any case, i would go back to the hospital if you feel scared about it, don't take any chances with this.....
Old 03-07-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you recently quit alcohol my best guess is it's related to the withdrawal side effects.

Speaking personally, while i was drinking i was fine..... no signs of "trouble". Heart rate normal, BP normal, went to sleep around same time, woke up at the same time, etc.

But within 48 hours of quitting?? All hell broke loose, my heart was pounding so hard, and BP was way up, it felt very scary.

In any case, i would go back to the hospital if you feel scared, don't take any chances with this.....
Yeah I quit again as of today. I suppose I'll go back in again. Just really dreading it..that hospital knows me too well now. Stupid alcohol.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I quit again as of today. I suppose I'll go back in again. Just really dreading it..that hospital knows me too well now. Stupid alcohol.
You can always try a different hospital

No, seriously.... it might even be better if your current hospital is just brushing you off or not taking it seriously. Who knows? Maybe a different hospital will actually take you more seriously and do a better job.

I went to a doctor early on in quitting, but he didn't seem to take me seriously and just sent me on my way w/ a prescription for sleep pills.... basically "spit me out" and didn't seem to care. Needless to say i haven't been back to that guy.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Feeling awkward in the hospital is better than having a stroke alone in your apartment. Tell them your symptoms and what you drank and when you stopped. If nothing else, you should be able to get something to keep your BP down for the next few days while you detox. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks for all of the responses. I went in and they told me it was really packed and that I would have to wait for 3 hours so I just left. My heart rate actually calmed down while I was sitting there for a while. I think I'm just going to try and sleep and then when I wake up tomorrow I'm going to go to urgent care for a follow up to make sure I'm doing okay.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can always try a different hospital

No, seriously.... it might even be better if your current hospital is just brushing you off or not taking it seriously. Who knows? Maybe a different hospital will actually take you more seriously and do a better job.

I went to a doctor early on in quitting, but he didn't seem to take me seriously and just sent me on my way w/ a prescription for sleep pills.... basically "spit me out" and didn't seem to care. Needless to say i haven't been back to that guy.
I've actually considered this lol. I feel like they think I'm crying wolf at this point when in reality it's a huge concern for me. The only thing that sucks is the other closest hopsital is 25 minutes away from me.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
Feeling awkward in the hospital is better than having a stroke alone in your apartment. Tell them your symptoms and what you drank and when you stopped. If nothing else, you should be able to get something to keep your BP down for the next few days while you detox. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
Yeah I don't think I'm going to have a stroke (hopefully not haha) like I mentioned I did go there earlier this morning right when I woke up. I told them my symptoms and when I last drank and stuff at that point and they didn't really seem concerned.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't think I'm going to have a stroke (hopefully not haha) like I mentioned I did go there earlier this morning right when I woke up. I told them my symptoms and when I last drank and stuff at that point and they didn't really seem concerned.
Yep, i would go somewhere else

Not all hospitals/doctors are created equal, some of them just seem to do "the bare minimum" and run their operations like a friggin impersonal/un-caring conveyer belt..... "uhhhh, ummmm, here have some pills, you can go home now" T_T
Old 03-07-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep, i would go somewhere else

Not all hospitals/doctors are created equal, some of them just seem to do "the bare minimum" and run their operations like a friggin impersonal/un-caring conveyer belt..... "uhhhh, ummmm, here have some pills, you can go home now" T_T
Yeah I'm done with that hospital for a while. Well hopefully forever! I am sick of this haha. If I still feel like crap tomorrow I'll go into Urgent Care for sure. That is if I can even fall asleep tonight.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you feelng today?