Notices

Day 6 - On the fence....

Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 - On the fence....

Hey all! Today I accepted a job offer, so my natural reaction is to go get a drink....which I know is NOT a good idea...how do I celebrate without alcohol?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Call a friend and tell them the good news. Go shopping and buy yourself something that you have always wanted but never thought you deserved. Treat yourself to an expensive dinner.

But really, don't you think that drinking will turn an otherwise home-run of a day into, well, an error?

Oh, and by the way, congratulations. You will be surprised at the number of good things that will keep happening if you stay sober.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Treat yourself to something nice - a warm, aromatic bath; a special meal; an ice cream sundae; a new book; a long, leisurely walk; a movie.

Treat yourself well.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have kids?

Dance around and squeal with them.

No kids? DANCE AROUND AND SQUEAL ANYWAY!

A new job? Cool. Celebrate with a gratitude ceremony. Make a list of all the things you envision coming from this new job. Make a list of all the benefits, the growth, the adventure, the reward, the challenge. Write it all down and then go for a walk in the forest or a field or the seashore and then build a little offering of stones and things you find along your walk in nature, and then build a small, safe fire and then put the lists into the fire and say a few words of intention and gratitude - "Let me live this blessing and live my gratitude to its fullest!".

Then go home and have some green tea and call five people you haven't spoken to in a long time - just to catch up with them. Ask all about them. Tell them something about them that you value.

Write a letter to everyone you can think of. An actual, handwritten letter. Go buy nice stationary. Print out a few photos. Sit down and spend the evening with a really find bottled water - I suggest Pellegrino - with a twist of lime. Listen to music you love and write your excitement to your family, old friends, former colleagues. Send them a short wish for abundance in their lives. Tell them that you decided to celebrate this occasion by passing on a bit of the excitement and passing on a wish for their own good fortune, and tell them you're glad this occasion gave you a chance to reach out and say hello. Thank them for being there for you to help you celebrate, simply by being the recipient of your letter.

Or go for a long run.... and along the run envision all the fun you may have in your new job and all the people you'll meet and how well you'll do that job in sobriety.

Or treat yourself to a few new outfits or articles of clothing or shoes..... new job, new duds.

Or take your Mom out to dinner. Tell her "Mom.... thank you for being my Mom.... thank you for life.... I wanted to celebrate this milestone in my life and I ultimately owe it to you. Talk to her about your hopes and ambitions for the new job. Tell her about stuff you haven't told her about. Ask her to tell you some stories about when you were a kid. Tell her you love her.

Or paint something

Or write something

Or sing something

Celebration isn't supposed to be about numbing and poisoning yourself - it's supposed to be about CELEBRATING!!!!

Also - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Hey all! Today I accepted a job offer, so my natural reaction is to go get a drink....which I know is NOT a good idea...how do I celebrate without alcohol?
first - congratulations! Second - I say a big ice cream sundae or piece of your favorite dessert indulgence sounds like an awesome celebration :-)
Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! Wow, you guys are awesome!!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Start saving your money and buy something in the future a new sofa new furnishings etc a holiday

Sobriety is awesome massive congrats on getting the job don't waste time thinking about celebrating let every sober day be your celebration
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You will be surprised at how much money you can save without wasting it on booze! I started a new 'piggy band'...actually it is a clear jar so I can see the $ add up. Spring is coming and there are so many things I would like to add to my garden. It is extremely rewarding to have a goal of saving for something that will delight me and reward me for my day by day achievement of remaining alcohol free!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

so how did you celebrate without alcohol Purplrks3647?

congrats by the way

D