Notices

3 weeks sober question

Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober question

Hey guys I recently quit drinking after drinking heavily for 7 years. i was 3 weeks sober satursday but i decided to have a few drinks for my fiances birthday. i had 7 beers that night, i feel like absolute crap today. i puked this morning and my anxiety is high and feel drained. Is this from the alcohol even after 3 weeks sober? how long can i expect to feel this way? i am never drinking again, i thought it would not effect me. please help thank you all.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Physical alcohol withdrawal takes several days to a week. It's rough at first but the longer you stay sober, the better you'll feel. And yes, going back to drinking after a period of abstinence will still cause withdrawals. Only way to avoid it is to not drink again.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Even after 3 weeks sober and just 7 beers I have to go through withdrawal again? It shouldn't be as bad as when I quit right? How long can I expect this? If I knew this I wouldn't have drank I just did socially for her bday I have no urge anymore. This was stupid of me I can't believe just 7 beers put me back to this.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nhbuck
Old 03-07-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so i can get withdrawlds from just this and feel sick again?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Generally, when you start drinking again, your body picks up where you left off. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it worsens until you stop drinking for good.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Yes. That's the short answer. If you drank enough that you experienced withdrawal when you quit last time, there is a good chance that you have patterned your nervous system with years of drinking, and it doesn't take much to trigger that response. I had withdrawal about as bad as I ever did after two days of drinking. It doesn't happen to everyone, but we're just lucky I guess.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

its not horrible but i def feelout of it tired and vomiting this morning. how long will this last i was feeling great. stupid me. funny thing is i had no urge but i choose to.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Everyone's experience will be different, but for me, when I slipped up with a six pack in December, it was about three days. But, when I drank vodka for two days, my withdrawals were as bad as when I had been drinking hard for years. I was taking better care of myself this time around, so my withdrawals didn't last as long, but I was still prepared to go to the hospital at any time. I had a bag packed sitting next to the door all week.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i think i will be better tomorrow. is depression and weakness a symptom as well as muscle akes? cnt believe how stupid i was for this
Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Those can be symptoms. They tend to be for me. But after a week of sobriety, I had no depression or anxiety at all.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You drank on Saturday? How did you feel yesterday?

You could also have a case of stomach flu...seems like it's going around up here, at least.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nhbuck1 View Post

i puked this morning and my anxiety is high and feel drained.

Is this from the alcohol even after 3 weeks sober?
Could be from the booze or anxiety or a combination of both.

All signs point to -- sobriety is the probable cure.

MB
Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There's that old adage that says 'once your drinker is broken, it stays broken.' I've heard of plenty of people relapsing after a period of long-term sobriety, just to end up with a detox more excruciating than the initial. Probably why doctor's always ask if you've been through alcohol detox/withdrawal in the past when you show up for medical help.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i felt really depressed and sad yesterday my stomach was hurting and making noises very similar to where i was in the beggining 3 weeks ago. Today it seems more physical then emotional stomach still growling, drained, muscle fatigue, not as emotinal as yesterday.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was sober for six and a half years and went back out. Based on how I felt and my experience, I am convinced that alcoholism is a disease that does not go away and we never heals.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

just took a 5mg baclofen man that seems to help alot, anyone taken this before seems to work wonders for withdrawl.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

PS - seven drinks isn't drinking socially. Not even close.

In the past I've taken all sorts of drugs not prescribed to me for withdrawal to alleviate the effects of not taking one of my other drugs of choice. That's called using and substitution. We addicts tend to do that.

If all you had from a one night relapse was the symptoms you describe, you got off lucky. We bury people from time to time who decide to use for "just one night".
Old 03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope you are starting to feel better. I suggest looking up "kindling". I know there is a link on this site somewhere....I will try to find it but you can also find out about it by searching the internet. I found that the kindling effect was really true with me.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nhbuck1 View Post
just took a 5mg baclofen man that seems to help alot, anyone taken this before seems to work wonders for withdrawl.
I don't have any clue what is .. Haven't done a medical detox, I just stopped. And this is only my opinion from my experience... Sooner or later you have to deal with the root of the urges and what brings them on. You said you didn't have true urge, you just drank - I believe the fact that you drank implies you had an urge and followed it through.