A real monster-in-law

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A real monster-in-law

This is my first time posting to a page like this but I have run out of ideas.

My husband and I have been married for 3 years and over the last two I have discovered his mom is a narcissist and a prescription pill addict. I have delt with her stealing my husbands medicine (he has chronic pain from an accident), at one point before I knew all of this she was having me drive her to her 'friends' house and running in to buy pills, all while my 6 month old and I sat in the driveway. She told one of her other friends that it was ok to text my husband HER SON to ask him to buy his medicine, and now the last straw for me was when I recently was told by one of my husbands family members his mom was asking them for pain pills and claiming she needed them for me.

I have tried forgiving for so long but this is taking it too far. Her husband is her biggest enabler, knowing everything she's done but not forcing her to take responsibility for her actions. Now she is harassing my husband and I telling us we have torn this family apart because we don't want anything to do with her or let her see our son until she admits her problem and gets help. I am living in hell and have no idea what I can do to improve the situation. The only thing I have going for me is my husband is no longer fooled by her manipulation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunagirl1228 View Post
The only thing I have going for me is my husband is no longer fooled by her manipulation.
This is a good start. My now ex husband attends all family functions with my parents and siblings, and they all jointly continue the family lies to my kids.

If the two of you are in agreement, seeing what's going on, it makes all the difference in the world. Can you move farther away from her? Like across the country? I do not say this lightly. Physical distance is the best thing you can do.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have every right to decide that her addiction is not welcome in your life. You would support her if she admits there's a problem and seeks out treatment. But if she continues on her path, she's out.

It's not that you don't like her as a person. Because she's a good person with a terrible disease.

You DO NOT have to be dragged down with her in the disease.

You can totally say that you see the disease and see the problem and refuse to have any relationship with someone who is still in denial about it.

Take care of you and your family!