Notices

Bump in the Road

Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bump in the Road

Well, these past couple weekends I drank and smoked. Not a tremendous amount but I still did it. Not feeling to great about it at the moment. I'm not really trying to go down that route again so I figured I'd post here.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

We've all lapsed at one time or another. Redouble your determination and rework your plan to account for the circumstances that got the best of you this time. You can do this ... we can do this.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad your here. Alcohol and drugs is no way for people like us to live. Find your self a support group and move forward.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Soberish,

Glad you got back on SR. Did something change in your schedule the past few weekends? I know I have slipped up in the past when I became complacent, and started to think I could moderate.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nothing has really changed. That might be the problem. Just sort of got tired of thinking about staying sober and having that in the back of my mind all the time and gave in. Schools the same old thing every weekday too. Study study study, go to sleep and do it all over again. Weekend release valve sounded good but it doesn't really change any of it, which I could have easily said before I chose to drink. Didn't really like the fogginess of today so I'm just gonna jump back on track.

It's a bummer but the real bummer would be if I just let myself go right back to the daily routine of drinking and smoking. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Be really careful from here... when I relapsed it started off that way (just here and there) and it made me think I could drink without going back to the daily, but it pretty soon went back there. It can be really confusing when you drink a few times without major consequence. (I say this not trying to be condescending -- it sounds silly but having a few incident-free slips really did mess with my head).

Is there something you could get involved with on the weekend that would give you more of the excitement/release that you're looking for? Like some kind of outdoor sport maybe?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good a place to be as any esp for recovery
Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Balance is important. When alcoholics decide they don't like the life they're leading the natural urge is to drink to make that life tolerable.

Its a lot more work but it's a better choice to change the lifestyle.

I've been in grad school - I know it's full on, but I've also seen people burn out.

Make a plan for a better balanced life Soberish - and may eke out a little more recovery support with it?

D
Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about a hike next weekend ?
Good to move the body after so much studying.
Get out your crockpot and make some healthy food to nosh as well.
Self-care is important in sobriety.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I plan to get back to working out. It has gradually become non existent since I started school. There should always be time to get exercise though because its a very important factor in my recovery.

In about a week I'll be taking a weekly break from school so hopefully I can do something enjoyable before I go back. Thanks for the support everyone, I really need it.