Notices

Weight gain?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight gain?

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question about whether you noticed much weight gain or loss in your first few weeks alcohol free?

I am eating similarly to how I did when I was drinking except for maybe a bowl of Ice cream after dinner but I have put on a kilo or so in the first week. A little bummed because I cant afford to put on any weight and I am sure alcohol caused my weight gain to begin with.

Luckily I have chosen to ditch the alcohol for way more reasons than just my weight so I will keep going...

Is it likely just a change in digestive processes since cutting out a major diuretic? Hoping it sorts itself out soon, as traditionally my diet has only been lousy when i had a drink in my hand. Otherwise really healthy.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

I started weight watchers, and increased exercise simultaneously to giving up alcohol, and have lost 17.5 pounds since January. However, I have read that sometimes your metabolism needs to adjust to the change.

I have been substituting fruit for the sugar, and still have at least one piece of chocolate a day. I had gained weight over the past few years though, and often would snack late at night after several glasses of wine, so eliminating that helped.

I think giving your body a chance to adjust is important.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah. I guess I will try to cut down any treats and hope that everything goes back to normal! Im sure it will given time.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After I got sober, I gained a bit of weight. That's ok, as I needed to gain some. I think it was because I didn't eat much when I was drinking.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks least. See I was one of those who ate more (junk) when drinking. It would give me the stamina to keep drinking without falling asleep hahaha
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would imagine it is something to do with your body not being forced to get rid of water. If you are eating the same, it is not going to be fat that is adding to the scale.

I would not worry about it. Even if you did gain some weight, it is far less harmful than drinking.