Notices

Day 19 - 1/2 way thru a tough day

Old 03-05-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19 - 1/2 way thru a tough day

I knew all week today was going to be tough. First I slept like crap, but that's not the point. Once a month I spend the day upstate to take my disabled sister out. I always have a glass of wine when I get there, and on an empty stomach the quick buzz will keep my feelings of sadness and unfairness of her illness (due to childhood cancer) at bay. Today I had water and made it through. Didn't even get tempted when she brought up our brother who passed last year of brain cancer. So I will call that a 50% success.

Tonight I have a b-day party at a bar with wonderful friends, all of whom will be drinking to oblivion. They will respect my decision, so not worried about peer pressure, but I know I have to be extra prepared tonight. My husband will join later and although he means well, he is a complete enabler and if I should waver would be quite accommodating. So I am going to spend my afternoon reading materials and staying connected so I am ready to enjoy a sober and fun night. Looking forward to saying I made it through the day and will be able to start day 20!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 19 days amyrose. It is a good thing that you are doing visiting your sister

Good luck with the birthday party - make sure you have plenty of your preferred non alcoholic drink to hand
Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 19 days sober. Stay strong. You'll wake up tomorrow feeling good.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So proud of you for those 19 days. Congratulations on making it through that challenging time with your sister. We know you'll go to bed sober.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19 days. Tonight will be a good test. You will make it.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Congratulations on your 19 Days amyrose-

You've put a lot of thought into tonight so you'll be fine.

During my first sober social outings I played a game of "learning something new about everyone in the group" It helped pass the time without the crutch drink in my hand and I remembered the entire conversation the next day.

Look forward to hearing from you on Day 20!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Way to go with 19 days ... keep on keepin' on! You'll do well tonight, just remember that you're sober and that is the most important thing for you.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Those parties in early sobriety can turn out to be more than a test.

Be real ready to break away for some time outside the bar.

A simple tool that I had to learn the hard way.

Mountainman
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update - that whole "no peer pressure" ended up being untrue. Got an hour of why aren't you drinking, used the lent excuse and heard lots about why God shouldn't need me to be sober, how Jesus created wine, etc., etc. Then they named me "sober Amy" and many spent time talking about how much they prefer "drinking Amy". WOW. So it is 3am and I drove us home, which I can do because I drank water all night and am the only one who left that bar SOBER! It was tough for part, but then everyone rallied around me and many told me how wonderful I looked and how happy I seem. My husband told me and everyone there how proud he is of my commitment. So welcome day 20 - I'm off to bed. Thank's everyone for your support and for writing in. It means a lot to me!!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good news amyrose--way to rock your Sober time out!!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by amyrose View Post
Update - that whole "no peer pressure" ended up being untrue. Got an hour of why aren't you drinking, used the lent excuse and heard lots about why God shouldn't need me to be sober, how Jesus created wine, etc., etc. Then they named me "sober Amy" and many spent time talking about how much they prefer "drinking Amy". WOW. So it is 3am and I drove us home, which I can do because I drank water all night and am the only one who left that bar SOBER! It was tough for part, but then everyone rallied around me and many told me how wonderful I looked and how happy I seem. My husband told me and everyone there how proud he is of my commitment. So welcome day 20 - I'm off to bed. Thank's everyone for your support and for writing in. It means a lot to me!!
On the bright side, you've learnt a bit about who you can and cannot turn to for support.

Good on you for defending your sobriety in such an environment. You know those who prefer Drinking Amy, they're trying to keep you from making the changes that you know you need.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sober Amy sounds like a great new name! It is nice that your husband turned out to be so supportive.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on 19 days!!!! I am on 16. I was around drinkers the last two nights and stayed strong. I really want to stay sober this time! My AA sponsor said if a situation is too stressful just don't go. Likewise if being around a certain person is a trigger don't do it. We need to protect our sobriety right now and make that the priority. Congrats again!!!!

Lilly
Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome work amy!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

awesome amyrose. Sounds like it played out pretty much like I would have expected. At first they "raz" you a little, then once they get lubed up, it turns to respect. And to me, that is awesome. Great job.

ps. Not to pass judgement on your friends, but I'm guessing a few of them probably secretly question their own drinking habits.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
awesome amyrose. Sounds like it played out pretty much like I would have expected. At first they "raz" you a little, then once they get lubed up, it turns to respect. And to me, that is awesome. Great job.

ps. Not to pass judgement on your friends, but I'm guessing a few of them probably secretly question their own drinking habits.
I completely agree with you. I know a few of them are "hard drinkers" and the ones who didn't rally with support are also the ones I know looking at themselves and their drinking and it's not about me. I won't be putting myself into this situation often going forward as it was a lot of work to stay on the right path, but it was worth it for the night.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 3 weeks !!