Notices

Disappointed but grateful

Old 03-05-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disappointed but grateful

OK today I've got some bad news. My recent job search had gave me hope of getting this new job which pays more and with some benefits.they told me a week ago they were just waiting on a background check. Well yesterday they told me they got it and they were going to draw up some papers and show me where to go do the drug test and a tb test. Well I told them that I had to work that day but the following day I would go and retrieve it. So my past tends to haunt me often. Its a shame I can't even get a janitor or a floor tech job. So get a call this morning and the laddy who's been filling me up with all this hope, tells me not to even worry about going to do the drug test. Yeah she must have seen my background. But why should I be discriminated against, because of what I may have did years ago. All I want to do is get a better job so I don't have to walk though life feeling like I'm wasting time living check to check. It depressing. Oooh and I'm suppose to be sober know ...... Man I picked a hell of a time to quit drinking. I could use a few right about now. This stupid **** ******me off. The way I feel I could go and hit a lick and wouldn't give two ***** . But now see thinking this way ....is the reason for my stupid background being messed up the way it is....smh. One good thing is I'm still sober. Man this isn't easy at all. And at least I still have my job.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you're feeling disappointed but I'm glad you're still sober.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry too but I'm glad you still have your current job Benito.

I really do believe that good things happen to good people...sometimes we have to run on faith for a little while, tho?

best wishes and enjoy a sober weekend Benito

D
Old 03-05-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there buddy I'm sorry you didn't get the job but if you are sober there will be more opportunities! Take care.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Benito, in many states you can get your record expunged. I think there may even be low cost or free legal help. Look into it and keep up the good job with your sobriety.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wishing you well Benito x
Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Hugs))
Old 03-05-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how you are feeling Benito. I have had 4 job offers rescinded because I can't pass a background check. I have a DUI on my record which is a criminal offence here. Also, my alcoholism resulted in job loss which lead to debt and eventually I had to declare bankruptcy. most employers, at least in my field, do a criminal and credit check. I fail both. I can get a pardon and fix my credit, but I need money/steady income to do so. Catch 22.

I am unhireable now as I approach 40. My past will always haunt me. so much for 2Nd chances and redemption huh?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Keep at it and don't use. That won't fix anything.

When I got clean the only people who would call me back were from a large retailer who paid just above minimum wage. I don't have a criminal record as such (just didn't get caught), but I have a record in my field which prevents me from working in it any longer. A gap in my employment and a worker's comp case (an injury at work which probably resulted from me being loaded) kept any other employers from giving me a second look.

I had to swallow my pride and take a job making less than 1/3 what I used to make. It' just didn't seem fair. My sponsor let me know I was suffering from a lack of grattitude and perspective. I still get off base pretty quickly when it comes to work and I can end up feeling like I'm a victim or that the Job is beneath me.

Oddly enough, my addiction and my own behavior were entirely responsible for where I ended up. Having some time clean and having gone around the steps once I no longer wonder why people and society hold my past against me, and I am more prone to accept the consequences of my past behavior. If anything, these days I'm surprised and grateful when I am forgiven or seen for who I am now.

Anyhow, we can change our circumstances over time. I've been at that job a while and had a few promotions and raises, and it's time to figure out what to do next.

Don't give up, and don't use. Not worth it.