Notices

should i turn to medication to deal with anxiety?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am feeling utterly overwhelmed with anxiety. It is one of the major triggers for my binge drinking. I have an appointment to see my psychologist but it's not for another 5 weeks. I am considering seeing my GP today to get anti anxiety meds. Is this wise?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My GP always gave me benzodiazepines for anxiety. These are addicting drugs with a high abuse potential, and now that I understand I am an addict I would not take them. In the long term, they are known to make anxiety worse, and anxiety is a withdrawal symptom.

How long has it been since you quit drinking?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

When I was in detox I was given hydroxyzine for anxiety and sleeplessness. The pharmacist said it was non-addictive. Otherwise I take natural supplements from the vitamin department for my anxiety. I googled natural anxiety suppliments for info. I tend to be high-strung and yes, that was a big trigger for me to try and relax with a few or many beers.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hadn't drunk for 8 days and then drank for one night. On day 2 today. I've struggled with anxiety for 25 years.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Noneever
Cardio exercise always helps me short term, though anti depressant do help alot, I took lexapro
Old 03-03-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on Pristiq.

I heading to my kid's school to help out with reading groups and then I'm going for a long, long walk. I hope it helps because I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack any minute.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
I am considering seeing my GP today.....
Good!
Glad you're here and posting
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I struggled with anxiety for decades before I began drinking. Drinking made the anxiety worse, but it is still with me. I choose to not use medication. My anxiety is always around and the medications to treat it are addictive. But, there are healthy and safe ways to manage anxiety.

These are two books I have relied on:

When Panic Attacks by David Burns MD
From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it is only two days since you drank, you are having the anxiety of alcohol withdrawal. It is common to be very anxious and restless, as your brain is used to the depressant alcohol and is going into overdrive without it. Wait til you're completely done detoxing and see if your anxiety gets better. You may not need meds, just staying sober might ease your anxiety.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am feeling utterly overwhelmed with anxiety. It is one of the major triggers for my binge drinking. I have an appointment to see my psychologist but it's not for another 5 weeks. I am considering seeing my GP today to get anti anxiety meds. Is this wise?
"Least" is absolutely right. I used to think anxiety was a trigger for my drinking until the penny dropped and I realized drinking was a trigger for my anxiety. Years of binge drinking eventually put my brain into a constant state of rebound anxiety during any period of abstinence.

Do whatever it takes to stay sober for a period of months instead of just days, and I bet you'll see a significant reduction in anxiety.

There are also plenty of ways to treat anxiety that don't involve using other drugs, although the drugs can be helpful in the short term while you're withdrawing from alcohol.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I forced myself to eat some lunch and went for a 4km walk. Feeling 1000% better. I think I can do this without meds.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get yourself some Sun L-Theanine chewables. Over the counter, non habit forming, no hangovers, and most importantly it works just like the addictive stuff. In fact most combine it with coffee to take away the negative jittery effects of the caffine. By itself its very calming, in fact so much so, you prob couldnt tell the difference between the prescription and the theanine, if taken blindly.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder of the medical advice rule

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

Please do not recommend medications for others. This includes things over the counter.

It's usually fine to say 'i tried these' - but not 'you should try these too'.

What worked for you may not work for others, or even be suitable for them
Even an amino acid could sometimes interact badly with other meds.

Dee
SR
Old 03-03-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I forced myself to eat some lunch and went for a 4km walk. Feeling 1000% better. I think I can do this without meds.
Good for you noneever. In recovery, no matter how early, it's a good idea to shift how we think about problems. Often we can make big changes by thinking beyond putting something into our bodies.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety for a couple years. I quit drinking because the anxiety had gotten so bad. A few months after I quit it lessened and then continued to lessen with more and more sober time. I didn't sit around and just wait for it to get better though. Take care of yourself, read some good books like Anna mentioned, practice breathing techniques. Try to be more mindful and in the present. I can't take any anti depressants or even be diagnosed with anxiety for my line of work but now at 13 months sober I have barely any anxiety and sure sometimes I do but you can learn to calm yourself down and get past the thought in your head. Either way you go I have for sure found that alcohol makes anxiety so much worse. Fix that situation and your body and mind can heal.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great idea noneever , Walking and something to eat.
Walking in nature, even better. If I am feeling really anxious I can brisk walk for over 3 kilometres before I start to feel the anxiety leaving..by the time I am at 4+ k it is all but gone...Keep up the great work. : )
Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are suffering noneever. A visit to the doctor sounds good, as does staying sober long enough to see the real benefits.
Another idea, and this sounds very strange but I am considering trying it myself, is a weighted vest. I first read about the idea from a random Facebook post on a popular page. A man said he suffered from ADHD and anxiety and found that wearing a weighted vest under his clothes helped him to burn off some of that excess energy and created a calming effect. I got very curious and googled some and it seems that researchers are also starting to test this with autistic children as well. It seems that it is a non medication based solution for a lot of things.
I think the idea makes sense. One, you burn off more energy. Secondly, it probably gives one a sense of comfort and protection. I know I sleep better at night if my covers are heavy over me. I like to feel the weight over my body.
Of course some people prefer no covers, being free and loose and a weighted vest might cause panic for feeling restricted, but you would know how you might feel.
Anyway, just an idea to throw out there.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Noneever
Anxiety can be crippling so I understand completely. Anxiety meds are tricky. Benzo's are basically alcohol in pill form, hence the reason they are given to detoxing alchies because they 'trick' the brain and can help ward off potential seizures and strokes. These drugs work well for short term use but like alcohol, once a dependency is formed, they will increase anxiety because tolerance is built and the user requires more and more to get the desired effect. Like alcohol, the detox from these drugs can be lethal. There is no other drug to ease someone off benzos and taper is the only method. And its painful, I've seen it. So while very tempting to take them, I would really be careful, especially considering your history of addiction. Its become en vogue for people to say, I'll just take a xanax. Scary. I don't think the average person realizes how addictive these drugs are.

So options. See a pyschiatrist. Counselors can't prescribe. I have PTSD and the anxiety, when it strikes, is unreal. I have tried SSRI's but for me they don't work. When I have an attack my only real option is hospitalization. But I also have GAD. For sure, alcohol makes it MUCH worse long term. After a few months of sobriety my anxiety decreases exponentially. I also do a lot of yoga and other exercise. Truly, that's the best drug. No sugar, limit caffeine. Never underestimate the power of breathing exercises. These kinds of mindfulness activities really do help. Making sure I'm not obsessively thinking over the past or some other thing I regret. Jounaling and talking about your thoughts and feelings.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me they never worked.
In time I took more than prescribed.
Then started mixing them with booze.
Makes for one hell of an addiction!

Today I have learned to deal with my anxiety.
I will admit not east at times.
But, I'm not fooling myself -- yes -- I'm truly sober.

Exercise, good food, water and sleep are God's natural healing gifts to man.
Covered under common grace (given to all living ones).

MB
Old 03-04-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've used supplements many times with great results but I would steer clear of meds....