Drinking and driving

Old 09-17-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and driving

Another question. Short of reporting your spouse to the authorities, has anyone had success in stopping your spouse from drinking and driving (literally drinking while driving)? About a month ago I tried to get the message across. I was going out for a few hours on my own (a rare occasion) and as I was leaving I yelled to my husband to get me a beer for the road. I expected him to say no way but he suprised me and brought me one. Of course I didn't take it - maybe he was just calling my bluff.

His brother was killed in a solo car accident. I don't know if alcohol was a factor or not - that was never made clear to me (this was prior to me knowing my husband). However I did hear that he had "a beer" prior to driving.

I would think these types of things would deter my husband from drinking and driving but it has not. Are there any ways to try to achieve this?

Much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I can only tell you my experience. I told my husband years ago how I felt about drinking and driving. I had a good friend who was killed coming home from his HS graduation by a drunk driver. Plus, my husband has a good friend that is in a wheelchair and cannot move his arms or legs due to an accident in which my husband's friend was driving drunk. All fell on deaf ears. Then came my AH first DUI. He didn't learn a thing. Now, a few years later he was almost killed in an accident and is charged with his second DUI. Now he says "I wasn't drunk, the DUI laws are to strict." So obviously in my case the answer is no, there is nothing you can say or do to persuade them to stop.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi confused,

You're not likely to talk your husband into behaving. I have an acquaintance who wears a mangled arm because of a drunk driving accident, and he still drinks until drunk and drives. Go ahead and call the law.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 09-17-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, you could always offer to drive him around all the time.
Of course, this would mean that you would become his permanent chauffer!!! And if you have kid's to take care of, this could also cause a problem. Let alone the fact that I think your life is worth more than that! And really, while some addicts will allow this - there are others that still live in that fantasy land and believe that nothing like a DUI or accident could/would ever happen to them!!!

So in truth, I guess what I"m saying is that "nope, I don't believe that it's possible to stop him. It's just like the addiction in the sense that it's something HE has to decide."