Notices

My Intro! And also 'Detox' advice needed

Old 03-02-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Intro! And also 'Detox' advice needed

Hello there.

So I guess this is my Introduction...

I'm nearly Thirty, and have drank on and off for around Ten years - I will go for 6 Months to a Year not drinking, and then something will happen and I will drink...

My Primary addiction was Anorexia, but I coped with it by having a drink, which turned into two drinks, and then three drinks... (and well you get the picture..)

I've been attending AA (Admittedly, I thought the First few meeting were absolutely pointless - they were at the insistence of my parents - so I stopped going) I have started going again and have listened and learnt so much in so little time. I now love the meetings, however, my parents (Ironically!) said I just need a 'focus' (they've suggested the Gym, Hobbies etc...) and don't need the Meetings - they have attended 'Al-Anon' but every time I say I want to go they make my life hell (I don't live with them, but the comments are still very upsetting)

The exact same thing happened with my Anorexia, I was allowed to go for two sessions, my parents got upset that they needed counseling too, and refused point blank to go back. That was TEN years ago (I could have been seen for that disease - Anorexia, but in addition I now got another one - Alcoholism...)

Has anyone else had trouble with unsupportive relatives?

Just to add... Today, I had a 'funny turn' (could not breath, and collapsed) I ended up in the Emergency Room via Ambulance. I stopped drinking (I was on around 3/4 of a bottle of White a night - with little food) - fortunately, I had all my Bloods taken and everything (Liver included) came back perfect. But the Doctor has said it was 'Severe' anxiety. They refused to give me anything (I asked - and told them everything), so still very shaky, could this be the alcohol related (I'm fairly sure I know the answer... Stop drinking... The only thing is I did, and this was the result...) I have been drinking tonnes of water, and keeping my blood sugars up, but if the Doctors signed me off I'm guessing I'm okay? (Any thing else I can do apart from sleep lots of Coconut water and B Vitamins plus Potassium? ) I would really appreciate any suggestions that will stop me feeling like this...

Thank you for reading (I appreciate it is slightly essayish...!)
Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I guess it's different in the UK, but in the US, doctors often give meds to people to get thru alcohol withdrawal.

Detox can last up to a week after your last drink. If you have any more scary episodes, please do get to the hospital again. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Cassie..

Sometimes family have a problem with AA, either because of the religious aspect, or they fear it's a cult, or they associate a stigma of sorts with it. Like "we're not alcoholics in this family" was something my mom said a few times when I said I was having a drinking problem early on.

You're an adult. You need to put your best interests first, despite what they say and if they continue to have a problem with it, you have a right to know why. Especially if it works for you. I attend AA meetings a couple of times a week here in SE Asia and have found the members great fun and very knowledgeable.

It's great that you've been able to quit for extended periods before. Just be healthy, go to meetings if it helps, and move forward in your life. Oh, and go easy on the B vitamins.. they can have some side effects. Just eat plenty of fruits, veggies, grains, and protein and get some exercise.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You at almost 30 years old, don't be so concerned what your parents or others think. You do what you think best, you are the one to suffer from your mistakes. Ya gotta skipper your own ship through fair weather and foul.
BTW- don't be afraid to ask for help. It's one of my failings
Old 03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anxiety is common early on in recovery... you might want to talk to your doctor about some kind of meds for anxiety to take the edge off in early recovery. Just beware that those are addictive as well.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also had anxiety, racing heart, etc. in the beginning but this diminished over time as I stayed sober.
Hydration, rest, quality nutrition were all helpful to me in early recovery
and still are, quite frankly.
I agree your recovery is your own and not your parent's to dictate.
Go to AA if it helps, and let them worry about their own recovery.

If in doubt or symptoms continue / worsen, go back to the doctor is best advice.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cassie

I agree that it's your life and your recovery and you should do what you want. If your parents are unsupportive, that's unfortunate - but it's also why places like SR exists - there's tons of support here

If you're concerned or worried over your treatment at the hospital you could always get a second opinion from your own doctor?

D
Old 03-05-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello.

Thank you for all the responses

I went to my Sixth meeting last night, and again found it extremely helpful.

I didn't tell anyone I was going.

My Dad was in the Military when I was growing up (I never saw him), he went to an 'Al-Anon' meeting - not for me but with me as my Partner was an Alcoholic. And when he tried to 'engage' with anyone he would try and dictate to them - and would tell them to 'Manage' (Control) their partners, wives, fathers and mothers. (He got asked to leave in the end).

I've been to the Doctor's and been prescribed Prozac. I asked for Diazepam (I told him this was the only thing that had ever helped), but was told I could get addicted... So they would not prescribe it.

I've also got a referral for my Eating Disorder, so all in all, things are moving in the right direction.

Cassie x
Old 03-05-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie,

I suffer from alcoholism, anxiety, and anorexia! I hate all those A's!!! Issues with alcohol were the last to surface. I am finding working the steps of AA and going to meetings very helpful. I am going to a meeting or 2 every day. Do what works for you!! Maybe AA plus therapy for anorexia?

Lilly