Notices

SAD update, caffeine & health, recovery notes

Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SAD update, caffeine & health, recovery notes

Well....

Self-medicating with 5-HTP, Vitamin D, krill oil, magnesium, a SAD light, melatonin at night, exercise and efforts to maintain sanity via meditation and therapy and AA have all seen me through the winter.

Some days are better than others.... the glum days really aren't all THAT bad, but I can constantly tell that I'm just not quite as happy as I am during the longer-daylight summer days when I get lots of exercise and nature time and sun.

I got my labs back and visited my doctor for follow up yesterday. All tests are in the normal range and most levels; cholesterol, hormones, adrenals, kidney, liver, etc - are in 'extremely healthy' ranges.

According to my GP, I'm healthy as a horse and a fine specimen of physical condition for my age.

Also my EKG shows a healthy heart and my resting heart rate despite several cups of very strong coffee is 46. So, while caffeine is clearly impacting my anxiety and sleep patterns - it seems not to be having any significant adverse impact on my physical being at this time.

So, that's the good news.

The less good news is that means that all the glumness and energy issues and libido fluctuations have nothing to do with my physical condition and everything to do with my head.

GP said if the self-med regimen seems to be working, he sees no reason to discontinue it. However, he also said maybe a seasonal SSRI would be beneficial. He has a number of patients who take meds for seasonal depression and then phase out in the spring. Since I'm almost to Spring, I'm going to hold off and see how that impacts things. Maybe next Fall, I will give it a go.

I've spent a lot of my life self-medicating with drugs and alcohol and it's looking increasingly like part of my 'core issues' are mild depression and anxiety. They're certainly more pronounced in the dark, cold winter months.

Sharing this just so that others know.... if you have felt this way, you're not alone!!

But even so, this life without drugs and alcohol is FAR, FAR better.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you have good news on the medical front, FreeOwl; congratulations.

A seasonal SSRI sounds interesting; definitely worth a try, I suppose.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you are doing so well Free owl

I agree with you that it would be sensible to hold of on the meds for a while at least, I guess you can always revisit you doctor but hopefully you will feel better as the days get longer and warmer
Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

good stuff FO
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brilliant news hun! I go next week for my full blood count to see what damage I may have done to my body. Im on SSRIs too and I complained they weren't working! Since I've stopped the drink I am a very happy soul. The meds and booze don't work together. Booze cancels them out xx