Notices

I thought i was ok

Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought i was ok

Hi all, I'm back after getting to around 2 months sober then spending the last week or more slowly declining into drinking again and now I'm really really low and ready to get back to sobriety. I've realised I use alcohol to cope when I get exhausted and then have to keep drinking to keep going. Unfortunately my work is such that I can't just stop or take a break when I start to feel drained. I need to find better ways to cope when I start to feel tired and lose motivation.

Currently feeling rotten and like I've let down those around me. I hope these feelings of anxiety and depression go away soon
Old 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. Don't beat yourself up. What did you do correctly in those two months? What should you do differently? Relapse can be useful if we use it as a tool to learn. Do you have a recovery plan? AA, NA,SMART?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

I think balance is very important solow.

The trick is, for me at least, to take breaks when I can, before I get to the point of needing to.

Noone's that indispensable that they have to work 22 hours a day.
It's ok to take some 'you' time - even if it's 30 minutes.

I bet you find you'll be more productive

D
Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back, solow.

Be kind to yourself. Examine the situations and mindsets that led to the relapse; shore up the holes in your plan and get back to the goodness that sobriety breings to our lives.

We are walking beside you.

Bunny mentioned a plan. Have you seen Dee's thread regarding the importance of a pln. I'll find it and post it for you in a minute.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here is the link, solow:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found that the anxiety and depression got significantly less the longer I stayed sober.

I hope this time you will be successful.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The anxiety and depression are both part of the alcohol dependency, these are effects of drinking a lot of alcohol. It's so hard to untangle the mess created at this point, it seems to be a big ugly jumble, and the only comfort is another drink.

At this point, I think you know that this is false, just a lie that our addicted brain tells in order that we keep feeding it the substance on which we are depend. I found that by eliminating alcohol firmly and resolutely, no matter what, the rest of the stuff didn't seem so impossible. I was able to work my my forward and through. Now I see I could have done it sooner, and I wish I had.

You can do it too, Solow. Ditch the booze for good, and then things will start to work out. You'll see. Keep posting, OK?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by solow View Post
I've realised I use alcohol to cope when I get exhausted and then have to keep drinking to keep going. Unfortunately my work is such that I can't just stop or take a break when I start to feel drained. I need to find better ways to cope when I start to feel tired and lose motivation.

Currently feeling rotten and like I've let down those around me. I hope these feelings of anxiety and depression go away soon
That's good you've identified you drink to keep going when tired/exhausted/drained. I struggle with feeling tired/fatigued sometimes too at work. That's one of my triggers, in fact. It's a bugger if you can't take a decent break. Any way to solve that issue?

Try not to feel too rotten. You are still a good person. We've all stumbled and fell. We're here to help you get back up and going. You can do this.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Solow!

Balance has been very important to me in my recovery. Taking a break and eating a nutritious snack could make a difference in your work day.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You are not alone in this Solow....be kind to yourself, take it one day at a time.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi solow, I would think if your work is demanding, alcohol would just impede your ability to be at the top of your game. Hang in there, you know it gets better.Wish you the best.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yesterday was yesterday...today is a new day. Just stay sober one day...start from scratch. Every successful day is a win in your favor. Don't worry about the mistakes....
Old 03-02-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now Solow?

D
Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you solow.