Notices

New to forum

Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol

Hi, I'm new to this and I am hoping for some feedback. I drink a glass of wine or 2 most nights and binge drink once or twice a month. I normally feel very anxious the next day and I seem to be less able to deal with stress. I'm not sure if Im an alcoholic as I have friends who drink way more than I do.

I don't know what to do next I know that I have to change something as I'm not having as much fun in life as I would like to.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, bigee!

Well, to me the obvious thing to do is to stop drinking for a while and see if things improve. If you find it difficult to quit, then you have a problem.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

New to forum

Hi I'm not sure if I have a problem with alcohol, I drink a glass of wine or 2 every night and binge drink once or twice a month. I am finding I'm having stress and anxiety the next day and I am not having as much fun in my life as I would like. I'm just looking for some advice I'm a bit lost this past while.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bigee

Most drinkers who seek us out do have a problem with alcohol.

It wasn't easy in the beginning but there's a ton of support here.

Life's never been better since I have up alcohol.

You can do this

do you have any idea on a plan to stay sober?

D
Old 02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doesn't have to be a full blown addiction to be a problem. Better to take care of it now than let it become one. The stress and anxiety only gets worse the longer you carry on.
Is the short satisfaction of the buzz worth it? Certainly didn't do much good for me.
Take Care
Old 02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

. I am finding I'm having stress and anxiety the next day and I am not having as much fun in my life as I would like.

I would say you have answered your own question. If alcohol has gone from something you enjoy to something you need then say good bye before the problem becomes something you can't quit
Old 02-29-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I got sober, my anxiety is at an all time low. Alcohol causes withdrawal anxiety. The day after drinking is horrible.

I'd suggest you get sober now, before it becomes much harder to quit. I promise you won't regret it.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bigee!!

How about try a 30/60 day without alcohol and see how that goes, the thought of that used to bring me out in a cold sweat and I then knew I really had a problem!!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bigee!!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to know that being an alcoholic isn't about how often you drink or how much you drink, but it's more about what happens to you when you drink.

Take a look around and you'll find lots of information.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. I know a lot of people who identify was alcoholic who really, in my eyes, did not drink an incredible amount!

I also think that a 90 day no drinking regime would be good. Try it out. What have you got to lose?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You had two similar threads so I merged them for you Bigee

D
Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bigee! I'm glad you found us.

Drinking problems come in all shapes and sizes and forms. I encourage you not to make the mistake I did: comparing myself to others.

If I could go back in time I would stop drinking the moment I realized it was not good for ME. Period.

It was very freeing the day I realized I can quit without being "better off" or "worse off" than others who drink. It has become a problem. It (alcohol) has to go, my friend.

Most problem drinkers deal with a phase called denial.....where we want to believe we don't have a problem....that's one of the reasons we compare to others instead of simply saying that alcohol is basically gasoline and sugar (not really but it is ethanol) and you should not drink it, especially not binge drinking.

I hope this helps with the debate in your mind. Alcoholism is progressive TRUST us on sober recovery. You do not have to be as "bad" a drinker as someone else to make this amazing change.

It's freedom.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow thanks for all the great replies, I think I will try a 30 day no drinking I've never done that before. One of the challenges is everyone I know drinks, it's part of the culture. It's nice to know I'm not alone feeling this crazy anxiety, I was starting to wonder if I was loosing my mind.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee!
Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dee I don't have a plan to stay sober, the thought of it scares me a bit. My lifestyle and circle of friends revolve around drinking. What I do know for sure is I don't want to do it anymore. I thought I could just slow it down but that is not working either.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to meet you, bigee. I'm happy you came here to talk things over. It really helps. I tried to slow it down too, but ended up with a huge problem later in life. You're wise to be taking action now.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Bigee
Not to project your future drinking life but many of us probably felt the way you are describing yourself before we took things to an even less healthy level.
Your feelings of anxiety won't get better with alcohol regardless of whether you have a drinking problem or not. It's not the nature of alcohol.
Have you considered a replacement activity for the times you would normally drink? Walking is an awesome way to spend quality time with yourself.
Best wishes to you
Jonathan
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bigee

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html