Notices

AA Question

Old 09-17-2004, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Question

I have been working for weeks now to stay sober but its not working out, for the last week I have gone to an AA meeting everyday, but I have gone to the meetings drunk, I want to stop, I want my life back, but I cant control it. my will power is nil but there are times this week I was able to go for several hours without drinking but then I end up drinking anyway. Is it wrong for me to go to a meeting like this, would it be better to stay away? I am scared to ruin someone elses sobrity.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Keep Coming Back Speedy.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Castaway

****{Speedy}}}}
We all have to start somewhere! I wish I had gone to AA years ago. I probably would have gotten better more quickly. Now, here I am 40+ years old and just starting. Keep going to AA. Try not to drink. Don't use drinking as an excuse not to attend. You're life is more important than what others are thinking. (now if only i could put that into practice myself lol)
We're a confused lot! You go Speedy!
Sandy
Old 09-17-2004, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Speedy - Definitely keep going. You're not going to shock anybody by admitting you'd like a drink Everyone there knows what you're going through. I'd suggest you get a sponsor, though. Just going to meetings wasn't enough to keep me sober.

Good luck, and keep coming back.

Best,
Joe
Old 09-17-2004, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership is the DESIRE to stop drinking. Reach out to some people, get some phone numbers, then use them. Is there any way you could go into a detox for a couple days? If not. it can still be done. Just be honest and let the people at the meeting know of your struggle. Keep posting and let us know how you are.

Sherry
Old 09-20-2004, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was just thinking today - that if i ever attended an (my first) AA meeting i would be so tempted to have a few drinks beforehand. how awful is that...
Old 09-20-2004, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by delaney26
i was just thinking today - that if i ever attended an (my first) AA meeting i would be so tempted to have a few drinks beforehand. how awful is that...
You and probably a couple hundred thousand others before you... I was loaded when I entered the church basement that first night. On purpose too.
So it's not awful at all really. You're no different from countless others.
If you go, and you've drank, you'll still be welcomed.
But do yourself a favor, and go sober.
You won't regret it.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Speedy, I have been sober for over 11 months now and I discovered that it took a "negative event" for me to get realistic about starting a recovery. You may not be quite there yet, but it sounds like you need to look into a different therapeutic approach. I might suggest you consider an inpatient setting.

I hate to say this and it may be overly simplistic, but one aspect of alcoholism is that just trying harder usually will not cut it at this stage in your attempt at sobriety.

I went through six weeks of outpatient treatment, but the next course of action for me was the inpatient option. I will also say I had a lot to lose - namely my family!! That was also powerful motivation to quit!!

I am sure others will weigh in with more ideas!

Take care,

Dave
Old 09-20-2004, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey speedy...dont' base your opinion of yourself on what others think of you.
just hoe your own row dude
usa
Old 09-21-2004, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Speedy--Don't give up. Is there an option to go to more than one meeting a day? Also, get phone numbers and call people BEFORE you pick up the drink. An inpatient treatment or detox also sounds like a good idea to you. People will not condemn you for coming to meetings drunk. However, you will get a lot more out of it if you can manage to go sober.

Keep coming back.

Hugs--