Notices

Excessive Fatigue at 20 days...

Old 02-28-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excessive Fatigue at 20 days...

Is it normal to be this fatigued after 20 days sober? I can't muster enough energy to do anything other than what I am required to do daily. I work about 25 hours, I attend school 15, I walk my dogs daily, workout about 4x a week, and I make sure my home is presentable. Other than that I do nothing, my brain sometimes wants to do other stuff, but I just cannot make myself do anything else. Is this normal? If so how long before it goes away and I start having the desire work on my hobbies?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sligresda

I moved your thread to this forum so you'd get more response

yes it's very common to feel fatigued and not motivated.

for me things picked up after 30 days - hope your progress is a little quicker than that

D
Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm at 6-7 weeks and the first month was tough with fatigue - low energy, distracted, more naps and longer sleep overnight. It started lifting a couple of weeks ago. I am still not 100% but each week is better.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm somewhat struggling with low energy as I approach 30 days into my new sobriety. I've given my brain more rest this go around than last time and it's really helped my overall recovery. Don't worry about being lazy and resting as much as possible, this is what your brain and body may need right now!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I was totally exhausted. I really thought there was something seriously wrong with me. But it passed. After about 3 months I felt great. Just rest if you need to , your body is healing.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

This fatigue will change. Give time Time.

Keep healing!!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The 1st time I quit drinking I started having horrible fatigue at day 8. I would literally plop down on the couch as soon as I got home from work and not move for hours. I felt completely drained. For me it lasted about a week or so and then I was full of energy.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My lack of energy actually lasted for several months. Drinking takes a lot from you, physically and mentally. When you quit, its like hopping off of a merry-go-round you've been on for years and suddenly you're standing there dazed and confused, and TIRED. As with anything else, some people snap back sooner than others. I guess I'm usually behind the curve on things (?) 😯
Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters. It takes a while to heal from all the damage we've done to our bodies. The first week sober I was exhausted. I try to give myself the time to let myself just be and rest when I need it. I feel pretty darn good at two weeks now. I think you are on the right track, and will start to see improvement with time.
I keep thinking of my sobriety like a newborn. It needs a lot of time and attention to continue to grow and flourish, along with proper rest and nourishment. It needs love and protection.

I hope you feel well rested soon!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Omg I just made a post like this lol I'm at 20 days also and I'm exhausted... I was freaking out like this can't be normal but I guess it is.. I'm praying I feel a ton better real soon. What I did today was force myself out the bed and took a walk around the block. I felt so much better afterwards. I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow. .
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm 3 weeks in and absolutely exhausted here.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
My lack of energy actually lasted for several months. Drinking takes a lot from you, physically and mentally. When you quit, its like hopping off of a merry-go-round you've been on for years and suddenly you're standing there dazed and confused, and TIRED.
This... exactly.. is what it felt like for me.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My fatigue took MONTHS to stabilize... even now I have nap attacks that I absolutely can't resist or refuse.

I drank so hard for so long, I try not to worry about the fatigue. Sometimes it gets to me. So I try to picture my body asking for naps to do some really good healing for me.

Hang in there.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't have much energy or ambition for several months after getting sober. But it came back, slowly, over time. Now I'm back to my normal energy levels. Give it time. It will get better.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sligdresda
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sligresda!!